The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by summerhorse View Post
    It depends on if the cow was alive or dead. Downer cows are not allowed to be slaughtered for food because there is a reasonable possibility that they may be diseased. But many slaughter houses will do anything to get that cow into the SH (thus the videos of the cows being shoved across the ground with tractors or dragged around by tractors). If they can somehow get that cow alive and more or less into the SH on at least one foot they feel they can slaughter it. If the animal was dead then there is not a problem moving it with whatever is necessary but it would be nice if the cow was put down FIRST. It isn't like they don't have the tools...

Anyone who EATS meat of any kind should be very very alarmed at these ag gag bills because they don't JUST end up showing cruelty, they often show some very unsanitary conditions. And these bills are designed specifically to cover it up. Is that not alarming to everyone who either eats animals or cares for animals? It sure is to me. And if the authorities were more (or at all) responsive to these complaints then whistle blowers wouldn't HAVE to compile months of evidence (to show it isn't a one of or a disgruntled employee or an accident or...)
    Exactly
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes exactly!!

It depends on if the cow was alive or dead. Downer cows are not allowed to be slaughtered for food because there is a reasonable possibility that they may be diseased. But many slaughter houses will do anything to get that cow into the SH (thus the videos of the cows being shoved across the ground with tractors or dragged around by tractors). If they can somehow get that cow alive and more or less into the SH on at least one foot they feel they can slaughter it. If the animal was dead then there is not a problem moving it with whatever is necessary but it would be nice if the cow was put down FIRST. It isn't like they don't have the tools...

Anyone who EATS meat of any kind should be very very alarmed at these ag gag bills because they don't JUST end up showing cruelty, they often show some very unsanitary conditions. And these bills are designed specifically to cover it up. Is that not alarming to everyone who either eats animals or cares for animals? It sure is to me. And if the authorities were more (or at all) responsive to these complaints then whistle blowers wouldn't HAVE to compile months of evidence (to show it isn't a one of or a disgruntled employee or an accident or...)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

This law is using a shotgun to kill that annoying mosquito in your kitchen.

(
    And the above is EXACTLY why the law needs to be veto'ed. Thank you so much Bluey for proving our point.

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    You left out the rara who was hired in before the rara with the camera. Remember, 93% of rara videos are contrived and record abuses by other rara's planted in the farm. .
    Can you show where you are getting these stats? I think you are making this up.

Very true.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

The way these laws are written could have unintended consequences. I know what agricultural operations are trying to do here, but there is no protection for tourists taking innocent pictures of cows or horses grazing in front of a a pretty sunset. I don't support poorly written laws. This will not stop exaggerated propaganda from extremists, but it might hurt innocent people with no bad intentions. That's why I voted against Florida's law (as did the majority of others, which is why it didn't pass).

If a picture of your farm gets out in public, it gives you a chance to explain your industry. As long as you don't have an abusive worker or bad practices, most normal human beings will get it. Extremists will never get it. And, if someone in your industry is caught doing something abusive, that's hurts your bottom line and your reputation. Stressed animals don't produce. Be glad the butt-wipe has been caught. and now you can fire him/her.

I still think if you are afraid of pictures, you're doing it wrong.
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    The way these laws are written could have unintended consequences. I know what agricultural operations are trying to do here, but there is no protection for tourists taking innocent pictures of cows or horses grazing in front of a a pretty sunset. I don't support poorly written laws. This will not stop exaggerated propaganda from extremists, but it might hurt innocent people with no bad intentions. That's why I voted against Florida's law (as did the majority of others, which is why it didn't pass).

If a picture of your farm gets out in public, it gives you a chance to explain your industry. As long as you don't have an abusive worker or bad practices, most normal human beings will get it. Extremists will never get it. And, if someone in your industry is caught doing something abusive, that's hurts your bottom line and your reputation. Stressed animals don't produce. Be glad the butt-wipe has been caught. and now you can fire him/her.

I think that some that brought those bills were not "afraid of pictures", but afraid of how pictures can be and have been used to manipulate and fabricate what they do against them.

I agree that the bills can be overkill.
    There are already other laws that address some of the problems those bills are trying to remedy.
    Those bills are new and need to be checked over to be sure they are right for the intended purpose, not an overreaction to the abusive way some with agendas go about furthering them.

At least they are bringing the way those certain groups operate to light.
    I hope those that defended them take notice that they have a problem.
    Gives the other side, that those groups keep putting at the defensive, the floor for once.
    I expect the HSUS will be going furiously thru their staked abuse videos now, wondering if they dare bring those months old out now for their next drive here and there, knowing that the public is aware now that is how they have been operating.
    Yep, unintended consequences, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post

or you got burned already.

But it is probably safe to assume that once 'HSUS' is uttered in context, we are not talking about an innocent tourist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    or you got burned already.

But it is probably safe to assume that once 'HSUS' is uttered in context, we are not talking about an innocent tourist.
    Good point there.