The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Meup- Stop with the logic. How is everyone supposed to feel justified being overly critical, childish, and irrational if you keep pointing out how ridiculous they sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    If you don't want videos or photos shared, do not mark them as "public" on Facebook, which is what fairwindschance did. If you mark them as something else (such as "friends") then they cannot be shared on other sites. "Public" means just that - it is available for sharing outside your circle of Facebook friends.

And as for my posting, I never asked for critiques. I simply stated it was a "wonderful" moment captured on video.

If you want privacy for a video/photo/posting, there are other Facebook options that are available and should be used.
    Privacy? Are you all living in the past?

ANYTHING posted on facebook and all over the internet is not private.

People can say anything they want about anything- and they do.

If you don't like what people say about you or your stuff, don't put it online.

This is nothing- people post the most insanely intimate details of their lives on facebook and the like these days! God knows what narcissistic idiocy motivates them, but there it is.

PS- servers erase NOTHING on these sites. Good for the police state because big brother IS watching you.

1 members found this post helpful.

Durn, I just accidentally deleted a lengthy response to Meup.'s last post. Let me summarize by saying that I'm glad for the OP because I've found the discussion valuable on many levels, including the opportunity to "discuss how we discuss" and hopefully learn how to improve that in addition to our horsemanship.

Along those lines, I find it unreasonable to expect anyone (even Suzy) to research other posters' histories before responding to videos, etc. To me, internet forums are extensions of the world at large, in which people commonly show one another photos, videos, etc., which invite discussion with no one questioning whether the people in the pictures would care unless there were some kind of criminal behavior going on, in which case appropriate authorities should be contacted.

So, I'm glad Mike posted this video, glad that the rider has been gracious to all concerned, and, most of all, grateful to all I have learned from those who have shared insights from their perspectives.

2 members found this post helpful.

P.S. When's the "suzy roast"?? I'm hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Along those lines, I find it unreasonable to expect anyone (even Suzy) to research other posters' histories before responding to videos, etc. To me, internet forums are extensions of the world at large, in which people commonly show one another photos, videos, etc., which invite discussion with no one questioning whether the people in the pictures would care ...
    You don't actually need to research people's history to formulate a kind response. Several people on this thread demonstrated how to respond to the same exact video kindly, if you would like some examples. They responded in a way that, if the rider were to see the response, would still be ok. You don't have to fart rainbows to do this, either.

A kind and helpful response is completely independent of history.

SHOCKINGLY.

6 members found this post helpful.

I notice that the video has been set to private, so the OP has obviously forced the hand of the videographer, ( who obviously was not the rider , and who posted the video, probably without the riders permission, to promote her videography)

It is sad, but true that anyone can take photos or video of your riding and the copyright is theirs not yours.

Quote Originally Posted by HSS View Post
    People can say anything they want about anything- and they do.
    And of course, what they CHOOSE to say is indicative of the content of their character, especially when so many other people managed to find kindness in response. There are people who, over and over again when given the opportunity to critique someone, find a kind way to do it. And people where you don't even need to read down past the username to know that some sort of @$$holery is going to be involved. What does it say about you that you seized the opportunity to say something cruel? And additionally that this choice on your part was completely predictable and in keeping with your prior choices? You with your alleged fleet of FEI horses and working students need to rip on an adult amateur taking a clinic? REALLY?

Congratulations on having the single most @$$hole response on this thread! You were the Big Bad! Again! A+!

Maybe they have USDF gold medal for that, too.

7 members found this post helpful.

P.S. When's the "suzy roast"?? I'm hungry!
    Fish, I honestly tried to find the photo and learned that my husband has 87,000 photos archived (for real!). Worst of all they are date numbered. I went to the year I thought the photo was taken and couldn't find it. However, I found two half pass photos taken within a few strides of one another that are interesting if you want to see them. I don't have access to the photos at this moment and am not sure how to upload photos but will give it a shot when I'm on the other computer.

If anyone wants to post info on how to put photos here, I'd appreciate it.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

Quote Originally Posted by suzy View Post
    Fish, I honestly tried to find the photo and learned that my husband has 87,000 photos archived (for real!). Worst of all they are date numbered. I went to the year I thought the photo was taken and couldn't find it. However, I found two half pass photos taken within a few strides of one another that are interesting if you want to see them. I don't have access to the photos at this moment and am not sure how to upload photos but will give it a shot when I'm on the other computer.

If anyone wants to post info on how to put photos here, I'd appreciate it.
    If you apply yourself like a little Japanese child to reading the FAQ's and researching "photo hosting" and "links," the answer will come to you.

What did the article say?
    Japanese children spend an hour trying to figure it out; American children after 30 seconds say, 'We haven't had this.'

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    You don't actually need to research people's history to formulate a kind response. Several people on this thread demonstrated how to respond to the same exact video kindly, if you would like some examples. They responded in a way that, if the rider were to see the response, would still be ok. You don't have to fart rainbows to do this, either.

A kind and helpful response is completely independent of history.

SHOCKINGLY.
    What I have been objecting to is the frequent suggestion that any comments that offered criticism rather than praise were de facto unkind. When people are in fact rude, they, too, stand to benefit from correction, in that case, of their manners.

I do think, however, we live in a culture which is so prone to regard criticism as "rude" that our ability to learn often suffers as a result. In addition to the link I posted to that Japanese classroom, in which the teacher has clearly taught her students both how to receive and give criticism in a beneficial manner, I recall my daughter's description of shopping in Europe vs. here. At first she was shocked, thinking it horribly rude, when European salespeople advised her not to buy certain clothes because they 'made her look fat." She soon changed her mind, however, realizing that she'd been saved from making many purchases she would have regretted later.

Along those lines, I find it unreasonable to expect anyone (even Suzy) to research other posters' histories before responding to videos, etc.
    OMG, you give me far too much credit. I am not nearly tech-savvy enough to ferret out other posters' histories. [see my post looking for instructions on how to post a photo]. I learned this through posters who do know how to do it. But I'm flattered that you thought me capable.

Meup, honestly, you need to relax. No one was jeering at the video.
    suzy, normally I am a fan, but IMHO you are the one who needs to pause for a moment and stop defending yourself. This is not about you. I don't always agree with meup but think she is spot on here.;

It's just wrong to critique the video without permission as UDBB finally and reluctantly admitted.

7 members found this post helpful.

Thank you Meup for posting what I would have liked to post - only you did it better.

The inappropriateness here lies entirely that the same old posters who always
    have to have a jaundiced comment on almost anything - there are constructive ways to offer your thoughts on a matter, and there are the
    snarky and mean-spirited ways.

Criticism in itself is not a bad thing - it is how it is done and the intent behind the ciriticism, whether it is lift someone up and educate, or pull them down.
    Going back through this thread (if you can be bothered) one will soon see the difference.

Mike's postings are generally to share something with us that we might find interesting or funny - if he had any other intent he would have been shut down by the mods a long time ago.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Michael Matson did not have permission to place this vignette on COTH -- either from the videographer nor from the rider.

The purpose of the vignette was to highlight the emotions that were experienced at the clinic when the horse offered a lovely trot moment...

The video was NEVER meant to paraded on COTH for analysis paralysis of whether or not the rider was the perfect rider and the trot offered was the perfect trot. Doing so is an open invitation to incite conversation - something MM certainly (he's NOT a teenager) knows but interestingly denies as his intention. What other intention could their have been?

It is tiresomeness to hear the catcall theme of the irresponsible "well it's online so that means it's mine!" Just because one can doesn't mean one should.

An attitude of entitlement to anything and everything one sees online is indeed an interesting yet sad sensibility of our current society. Old school attitudes of good judgement and respect for others are scoffed at and by people that know better.
    Last edited by fairwindschance; May. 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM.

17 members found this post helpful.

Btw, some of the people on this thread have googlable email addresses, and when their name is subsequently placed into centerline scores it is revealed that their median score at I2 is a 48%, and their max score at PSG is lower than the max score of the rider they are critiquing at PSG.

In fact, their median scores all start with a "5", and the rider they are critiquing's median scores all start with a "6", except for PSG which is a 59.something and there was exactly one show that must have been a disaster at that level which brought the whole median down. Still the critiqued riders median PSG score is a full seven points higher than the critiquer's. The critquer meanwhile has gone on to the higher levels to blow everyone away with scores in the 40's. Congrats on that 41!

Meanwhile, it is also possible to type names into youtube and see WHY the scores are so low for the critiequer, and WHY they are comparatively so much higher for the critiqued rider, and conclude that one would happily lend one's horse to the critiqued rider and would categorically NOT to the critquer.

The records as revealed by centerline scores and corroborated by youtube do not appear to have missed the mark.

Food for thought.
    Last edited by meupatdoes; May. 6, 2013 at 01:27 PM.

4 members found this post helpful.

What I have been objecting to is the frequent suggestion that any comments that offered criticism rather than praise were de facto unkind. When people are in fact rude, they, too, stand to benefit from correction, in that case, of their manners.

I do think, however, we live in a culture which is so prone to regard criticism as "rude" that our ability to learn often suffers as a result
    OH please. What you are missing in a huge way there is that the rider herself did not ask for comments from the coth or biddy keybored experts.

She did not ask to be the subject of trainwrecks on discussion boards regardless of her facebook privacy settings on fb.

Come on.

Ethics exist quite apart from law or what is legally allowed.

It was inappropriate for MM to post this here and on UDBB for discussion and it was also inappropriate for other people to pile on with their critiques of her riding in a half minute clip of her clinic experience.;

pretending it was all general commentary not related to her riding is beyond disingenuous.

So why not Man /or woman /up and admit this was completely inappropriate...

UDDB as usual defended their usual keyboard experts trashing the video until even they had to agree this was wrong and pulled the thread.

Can you imagine what would happen if someone found some video of the favorite experts on UDBB or Coth and proceeded to tear them apart without permission all in the name of general observations and educating the eye.

nope. definitely would Not be allowed.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post

It's just wrong to critique the video without permission as UDBB finally and reluctantly admitted.
    This I agree with but none of us knew that the video was posted without permission until quite far along. A number of us are sorry for having critiqued it and have apologized sincerely to the injured party. Nothing disingenuous about that. Your thoughtful post is appreciated.

Now see, up ant til now i was somewhat in agreement with you,Meupatdos but now you are threatening people?

music critics, book critics, sport scouts, food critics, all have actual careers in criticism and do not perform. any time anyone runs out of actual content for their argument they fall back on the "where are your medals" or what level do you ride.

Well, let me tell you, from the most fundamental of novice riders, you had better be able to evaluate how people who ride better than you ride, cause that is the only way you can make sound fundamental ethical decisions about how you want to ride and train your horse. watching how others ride, and how a clinician responds is part of that ethic. ( of course, like i said i agree that offering written verbal criticism of this rider was not fair) but looking and seeing and deciding and discussion is an essential part of the evaluation that ever caring thinking horse rider aught to have, cause there is no excuse for harmin a horse due to ignorance because " your trainer said you should"

and, by the way centerline scores only accounts for the past decade or so(sorry, two) of scores, i bet CdeK has no scores on there, he must be pathetic. clearly has never ridden a horse in his life... oh wait that is not true.
    Last edited by chisamba; May. 6, 2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: i was corrected

Thank you -- well said.

Quote Originally Posted by chisamba View Post
    Now see, up ant til now i was somewhat in agreement with you,Meupatdos but now you are threatening people?
    Uh, where am I threatening people?

Centerline scores reveals that the critiqued rider and some of her critics were out and about horse-showing similar levels in similar years.

The critiqued individual got notably better results than her critic, with a great degree of consistency to boot. Repeatedly and consistently she posted significantly better scores. When you look up their respective names in youtube, "why" becomes clear.

This is a fact, not a threat.
    Last edited by meupatdoes; May. 6, 2013 at 01:32 PM.

10 members found this post helpful.