The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gallium Nitrate for Navicular

Hello everyone,

I have an 11 y/o TB gelding who was diagnosed with Navicular disease, he is going in egg bar shoes with a wedge, frog support pad, he had his coffin joints injected, he is on Pentosan and Glucosamine, and we tried Isoxoprene. He is a Prelim level eventer and is doing okay, but not great.

I came across the following link:
    http://galliumnitrate.com/
    and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Gallium Nitrate.

Thanks!

Oil of legless reptile. Don't waste your time or money.
    Click here before you buy.

It depends.

What navicular are you talking about? Is it truly a measured remodeling of the bone? Is it caudal heel pain? Digital cushion inflammation? The treatment you are discussing sounds a bit "old school."

Gallium nitrate has been shown to act similarly to bisphosphonates in inhibiting bone turnover and reducing blood plasma calcium levels. (NIH studies published in 2010). Of course the drug was administered as an infusion over 24-48 hours. It also has antineoplastic properties associated with lymphomas.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, are you sure this is primarily a bony problem, and there isn't a soft tissue issue/injury (via ultrasound or MRI?)
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Thanks for the replies! Not positive that it is solely a bony problem, stopped after flexions and rads; but there are definite bony changes. The other thing I was looking into was irap...

IRAP is not very useful for older, chronic degenerative injuries. It works best for more acute or recently diagnosed/early stage OA.

Bone marrow and stem cell therapies have been somewhat successful with generic "navicular" issues.

Tildren would also be on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc7883 View Post
    Thanks for the replies! Not positive that it is solely a bony problem, stopped after flexions and rads; but there are definite bony changes. The other thing I was looking into was irap...
    If there is an ultrasonographer near you who works on hooves, if may be well worth your time to get an exam. Ultrasound is relatively inexpensive and while it can't visualize all of the structures in the foot, you can see a lot of common trouble spots. MRI is better, but more expensive and often you have to put the horse under general anesthesia.
    There are a lot of horses with significant navicular changes that don't cause any lameness. With your horse they could be causing the issue or totally incidental.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Thanks, I'll look into Tildren as well...is that systemic of localized or both?