The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    What are you saying? I can almost guarantee you that every horse owner posting here on COTH, will euth their horse when the time comes if it is warranted. I have had 3 unfortunately that I have had to put down, It was never a question of how, and Slaughter was never even an idea.
    Why would it be.
    I hope you are right. I'm sure most will.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Euthanized animals are rendered every day.
    Absolutely..but look into the future..USDA is saying they do NOT want any horse euthanized to be rendered//it is on their website...

And, not all county's have rendering plants.

AND lets truly look at the cost...ship a horse to an auction..sold...you get 25$ or more..or maybe nothing due to auction costs..however get a vet out to your property...travel fee can be $50.00. Sedation fee$55.00 Euthanization shot..from $90 to $150 and rendering fee..usually from what i have been able to average...about 85-99 cents per pound.

Obviously none of you have ever been broke. Average cost is generally around $350 - $650 PER HORSE>..what if you can't sell and you have four? Your family is moving and you can not afford to take them with you and no one will take them even for free...that happens on a regular basis..ask ANY rescue.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    It's 250.00 here for euth and disposal.
    Where does USDA say that? Link please. They have NO authority over burying/rendering horses. And people MUST have some plan for a horse needing euth or disposal if it colics and dies or breaks a leg.
    For gosh sakes..go to their web site and also google rendering euthanized or contaminated horses...that is how I found it. Didn't even know they were against rendering..but they claim residue goes into products from brushes to hides..don't know if that is true...

I had a horse strangle herself. She went into the field...I had one with a broken hip..he had to be rendered due to chemical contamination. My cost was $200 for the one hour trip for the vet..around $350. for sedation and euthanization and then rendering pick up was $92 cents per pound.

You may live in a special area but I can assure you...Seattle washington is very expensive as is Scottsdale or Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    I hope you are right. I'm sure most will.
    I'm gong to bet they won't admit it on COTH if they do use slaughter.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

A horse with a broken leg could not be shipped for slaughter so that is a moot issue. A horse dying of a disease could not be shipped for slaughter..

Slaughter is a solution for someone having to dump the four family horses no one wants so the family can move to where they can be employed. We will see more and more of that...or properties are not available for having horses...or board becomes too expensive...a variety of reasons. Not everyone has a charmed life like the anti slaughter crowd on COTH

Some actually have real lives and real problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Absolutely..but look into the future..USDA is saying they do NOT want any horse euthanized to be rendered//it is on their website...

And, not all county's have rendering plants.

AND lets truly look at the cost...ship a horse to an auction..sold...you get 25$ or more..or maybe nothing due to auction costs..however get a vet out to your property...travel fee can be $50.00. Sedation fee$55.00 Euthanization shot..from $90 to $150 and rendering fee..usually from what i have been able to average...about 85-99 cents per pound.

Obviously none of you have ever been broke. Average cost is generally around $350 - $650 PER HORSE>..what if you can't sell and you have four? Your family is moving and you can not afford to take them with you and no one will take them even for free...that happens on a regular basis..ask ANY rescue.
    I've never been broke and owned a horse. I made sure that I had savings that I could use to live on for a yr, plus pay for euth/disposal before buying a horse (s). If I lost my job, got injured etc, there is money for euth if needed.

You can't base laws on people being stupid or irresponsible. For the oddball case where a person dies and has no assets at all, and leaves animals...well, that is where AC comes in to seize the abandoned animals. If a poor relative agrees to take on the responsibility, then they need to be responsible for figuring out what to do with them. No city will just leave animals to starve if the owner died, and they are notified. And they can't force the family to take animals.

For those who consider slaughter a service, they should pay the meat man to have the horse taken away.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I know there are rendering plants and services in my area because I've utilized one of them years ago. I did a simple search online and found there are multiple choices for euthanasia, cremation and rendering across the country. My search was for New York but neighboring states and services across the country came up.

Euthanasia Programs: Cornell University, Ithaca, NY (which is near me);

Equine Cemetery Services:

Angel View Pet Cemetery & Crematory, Middleboro , MA 02346

Equine Crematory Services:

Abbey Glen Pet Memorial Services, Lafayette, NJ , Ashes to Ashes Pet Cremation (serves the Continental U.S.) Pomeroy, IA 50575, Angel View Pet Cemetery & Crematory, Middleboro , MA 02346, Cornell University
    College of Veterinary Medicine Ithaca, NY , CSW Farms Crematorium & Memorial
    Galloway, OH , Day & Night Animal Recovery. Long Valley, NJ 07853, Memorial Pet Care (serves the Continental U.S.), Meridian, ID 83642, Pet Crematory Agency
    West Babylon, NY 11704, Regency Forest Pet Memorial Park, Middle Island, NY 11953

Rendering/Carcass Disposal:

Baker Commodities
    2268 Browncroft Boulevard
    Rochester, NY 14625
    585-482-1880

Day & Night Animal Recovery
    P.O. Box 205
    Long Valley, NJ 07853
    908-876-3341

M & S Services
    59 N. Golfwood Avenue
    Penns Grove, NJ 08069
    800-354-9359

Hogan's Dead Stock Service
    278 Spring Street
    Fort Plain, NY 13339-3937
    518-993-2171

Southern Tier Hide & Tallow, Inc.
    3385 Lower Maple Avenue
    Elmira, NY 14901-9513
    607-734-3661

We went all through the costs associated with euth and disposal on Alagirl's threads. The costs are all over there, from the cost of a bullet and digging a hole, to cremation. For me, it could be the cost of a bullet, if that's the way I wanted to do it. My county picks up for free, but you have to have the body by the road. I call the Horse Hearse instead, they can pick up from field, paddock or stall and they are reasonable

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...g-around/page4

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ionals-to-take

Fairfax, I've just scoured the USDA web site and can't find the reference you made about rendering euthanized horses. Could you tell me where you found it?

I did find many helpful links to companies and organization who will help with euthanization and disposal.

While I am sympathetic to people who find themselves in a tough spot and can't afford to have their horse put down, I would be willing to bet that they form the minority of people who send their horses to the kill buyer or auctions. To use their plight to justify an inhumane and unsafe (for people!) process is a distraction.

There are millions of horses in this country. I'm sure lots of them die every year either normally or through humane euthanasia. The vast majority of owners have the means and decency to step up and do the right thing for the horse when needed. The fact that we are arguing about less than 1% of the horses in the US tells me that slaughter is not a mainstream solution to end of life issues or disposal at all.

Slaughter serves *somebody's* needs, but it is not the needs of the poor person in a tight spot that you keep bringing up.

9 members found this post helpful.

Interesting arguments for slaughter.

So the "pro-slaughter are looking for more options..." These options are apparently only considered viable if they involve more profit for the slaughter industry.

1) The "KB's would rather sell for more money" (than what they make currently at Canadian plants). Yes, I'm sure they would. I'm happy to hear it stated that this is the real concern of those pro slaughter.

2) Thoroughbreds euthanized and buried at breeding farms should not be handled so because again, the Kill Buyers and Slaughter plants lose out when, as you say, those horses "are just wasted...rotting carcus in a pit." This IS a shame, if you are concerned about the Kill Buyer's bottom line.

3 members found this post helpful.

I've never been broke and owned a horse. I made sure that I had savings that I could use to live on for a yr, plus pay for euth/disposal before buying a horse (s). If I lost my job, got injured etc, there is money for euth if needed.

You can't base laws on people being stupid or irresponsible. For the oddball case where a person dies and has no assets at all, and leaves animals...well, that is where AC comes in to seize the abandoned animals. If a poor relative agrees to take on the responsibility, then they need to be responsible for figuring out what to do with them. No city will just leave animals to starve if the owner died, and they are notified. And they can't force the family to take animals.
    You are in the minority.

They have tried to figure out what to do with them...and NO ONE WANTS THEM...period...not every horse on CL is starving or owned by BaBa Bob with his 13 year old over weight son sitting on the yearling to prove its broken to ride

No one should have kids until they have all of the money in the bank up to graduation from a PhD program in University.

No one should get married until they can afford to pay cash for their house

No one should ever use credit.

Problem is...even good people have bad things happen. You are lucky...

Have you ever had a relative die? Do you know that probate can sometimes take 6 months to a year...

Sadly...many think like you..because THEY have never experienced a temperature of 110 on July 01 THAT is proof of climate change.

The USDA link for incineration of horses is in a pdf file. I remember it took forever to download. There is a link I provided on another thread...I just don't know which one it was on. ..but it would have been on a slaughter one from Jan-Mar somewhere

Anyone got a solution for ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND HORSES? We need one..by tomorrow..for the WHOLE WORKS...not just lets all save a horsey...

You can stop slaughter if you have a solution for these unwanted horses..probably that number for the next ten years.

I am sure it was posted on a thread where a woman was charged with endangerment to wild animals after two eagles endangered died after eating a carcus from a horse that was euthanized. Her vet was also going to be charged.

No Jetsmom is in the majority. Making options for irresponsible people won't make those people more responsible. It will allow the irresponsible to buy another horse and have the kill buyer reap more profit.

10 members found this post helpful.

Well, apparently your buddy Alagirl thinks that slaughter MUST be available because people have no way to euth and dispose of a horse without it...
    I have no buddies, I guess I am more off the scale as far as what I believe than most think.
    I just cannot imagine the horse people I have known and been involved with not having a horse put down by a vet, And I have known a lot. in the last 40 some years.
    I don't think that is what she said .
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

We have options for irresponsible dog and cat owners. Tired of the dog/cat, can't afford it, pees in the house, costs too much to fix it when it's broken? Dump it in a shelter...presto. Then what do many of them do? Go get another dog/cat and of course, they don't bother to neuter or spay it. No different than horses.

I'm not suggesting we do away with shelters mind you, but it's the same mindset. They tell themselves that someone will adopt pookie at the shelter or someone will buy horsie at the auction and life for pookie or horsie will be wonderful with butterflies and unicorns. The irresponsible ones don't have to watch pookie or horsie suffer...out of sight, out of mind. Some of them however, just don't give a sh!t.

I actually think unwanted dogs and cats are more of a problem than horses.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I have no buddies, I guess I am more off the scale as far as what I believe than most think.
    I just cannot imagine the horse people I have known and been involved with not having a horse put down by a vet, And I have known a lot. in the last 40 some years.
    I don't think that is what she said .
    I think Sannois marches to her own drummer. Which is a good thing, even if sometimes I disagree with her.

Please stop putting words in my mouth - I didn't say it was evil. You have a knack for trying to decipher what people think - you got it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    How evil.

There is money in horse training, shoeing, vetting, and yes, in selling.

But I guess one has to sell horses and demand a 15-20% comision on the deal, in the 4 or 5 figures to be allowed to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    No Jetsmom is in the majority. Making options for irresponsible people won't make those people more responsible. It will allow the irresponsible to buy another horse and have the kill buyer reap more profit.
    Amazingly I agree with this.
    To me a good horse owner And I have had them all my life, makes allowances for things that happen with horses.
    I had my heart horse get in a pasture accident, had major surgery, almost a year and a half of trying to get him right, and I had to put him down.
    I did not have a lot of money, and I can assure you, There never was a problem with Euth and disposal. I do not think it is the weekend or amateur or pro competitive rider that is the problem. Just saying~
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

6 members found this post helpful.