The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Front Range..Grunt Runner...gosh../when one has to attack spelling etc it clearly shows they have a weak defence.

Read again the posts..the USDA demanded larger chutes and all they did was paint them...but I agree. The USDA did NOT say that..and there is no proof..

Oh..wait...You promised to give us SOLUTIONS to slaughter...and said you would do it as soon as I provided proof of a statement which I did..then you stated you did not owe me, or anyone any solutions.

There you have it.

Oh well...I an just going to watch for your "END OF THE SLAUGHTER WORLD"

July 2013

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    Here it is again. I'm going to keep quoting until FF acknowledges that he has watched it on his super new DSL.
    Mary..what is your point for gosh sakes. I am unable to see any video until I have high speed. You have posted the link..when I have the stick and my computer is able to process it I will watch it...I also don't have any speakers for my computer so if it is audio..wait until I get some...

Obviously you have never been on dial up.

So I am clear..what is it exactly you claim is on this video?

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    There was a video posted and I think it was by Sunridge CLAIMING to be the new plant. Think about it. The USDA tells them to enlarge it (USDA hasn't even done an inspection on them yet) so they painted it white to make it look bigger. I will not deny that MIGHT have been the case in 2007 however they have stated..there have been NO tours of the facility

It is so easy to falsify a date on a video before one posts it on u tube or anywhere else..

IF they have a same old facility and conduct business in a shabby and inhumane manner with all of the eyes on them..they will bite the dust.
    My point is in reference to this and other posts.

That it exists, by a reputable (if there is such a thing these days) news source. That they retrofitted nothing/very little up through the kill box. Just another cattle slaughter plant killing horses. Nothing has changed in the US. Same 'ol same 'ol is not a correct answer.

4 members found this post helpful.

Here it is again. I'm going to keep quoting until FF acknowledges that he has watched it on his super new DSL.
    I think you should post a reminder every 5 minutes 24/7

From the master of weak defenses. Saying it louder does not make it so.
    Why are you in such a hurry to have slaughter?? Defending all the old crap does not make it better.

Front Range..Grunt Runner...gosh../when one has to attack spelling etc it clearly shows they have a weak defence.

Read again the posts..the USDA demanded larger chutes and all they did was paint them...but I agree. The USDA did NOT say that..and there is no proof..

Oh..wait...You promised to give us SOLUTIONS to slaughter...and said you would do it as soon as I provided proof of a statement which I did..then you stated you did not owe me, or anyone any solutions.

There you have it.

Oh well...I an just going to watch for your "END OF THE SLAUGHTER WORLD"

July 2013

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by M.K.Smith View Post
    I'm just curious... those who are so excited over the opening... which of your horses are you shipping for the Grand Opening? If slaughter is good enough for other people's horses I'm sure you are going to send yours first thing! Oh wait... that should be !!!
    I'm just waiting for the pro-slaughter group to take their own horses to be slaughtered and cheer them on as they are bolted and hung up.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    I'm just waiting for the pro-slaughter group to take their own horses to be slaughtered and cheer them on as they are bolted and hung up.
    What a foolish comment

Slaughter is only ONE piece of the puzzle. For anyone who is a hoarder, they are not going to use it. For someone who has property, can euthanize or shoot and shovel...that is their alternative. For those who can afford the vet to euthanize and haul to rendering, that is another option.

Turning old horses into "the wilderness" with Bamby and Thumper is another option until they freeze or starve to death.

Sending a horse to an auction so a person can maybe get rid of a cull, or remove horses they have been unable to give away or sell and maybe get a little money for their family OR to feed their other horses is another option

Calling a rescue and having them report you to AC or another group especially if you have waited too long and the horses are thin is another option

There are many many options. This is but one. We do not ask for any option to be banned.

IF this slaughter facility does NOT do it properly it will immediately be shut down as it should be. Any plant that is "allowed" to open in the U.S. will be under such scrutiny I am sure they will abide by the rules..including county rules or they will be gone. That is fine.

2 members found this post helpful.

Really, horses magically appear and need to be culled by slaughter so that people can have cash. Which will likely be used to buy OTHER HORSES.

Now who's living in the land of delusion....

I recall someone posting that the average age of horses going to slaughter is between 5 and 7 or 5 and 9. Anyone else?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Someone could find it? I've posted it twice on these threads. Each time to an accusation that it was hokey. I saw it originally on my CNN Newsfeed.
    Sunridge, No I was not saying that, I am sorry, Luvmytb's knew the one I was talking about, It was one of the first Videos of that plant, and it was like a walk through, Not just shots of areas. I wanted to recall the exact one, because I said it looked like a freshly painted cattle facility is all.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

There is NO puzzle. Why call it a puzzle? There is puzzling about it, we have too many horses in this country. This is a market adjustment. Let it adjust.

I believe it was the plant in Quebec..I have never been there but I have been told they have made changes quite a long time ago..
    This Video was from 2010.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by M.K.Smith View Post
    I'm just curious... those who are so excited over the opening... which of your horses are you shipping for the Grand Opening? If slaughter is good enough for other people's horses I'm sure you are going to send yours first thing! Oh wait... that should be !!!
    I have to say, this also is not constructive. I do NOT believe that anyone on here "LOVES" The idea of Horse Slaughter. I think their are three camps, Those that feel that it is a necessary evil, Those that would never send one of their own to it, but believe if there must be slaughter, let it be done right, Quick and humane, (My feelings)! And those that think it should never happen no matter what.
    I am also not convinced that any of the folks on these threads are actual honest to goodness Animal Rights activists. Just the way I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Thanks for this, please provide the USDA report confirming this.
    Thanks
    A friend told her...
    Never mind the forensically audited video of the Canadian SH where a draft was hit 11 times with the Captive Bolt gun...

3 members found this post helpful.

What a foolish comment

Slaughter is only ONE piece of the puzzle. For anyone who is a hoarder, they are not going to use it. For someone who has property, can euthanize or shoot and shovel...that is their alternative. For those who can afford the vet to euthanize and haul to rendering, that is another option.

Turning old horses into "the wilderness" with Bamby and Thumper is another option until they freeze or starve to death.

Sending a horse to an auction so a person can maybe get rid of a cull, or remove horses they have been unable to give away or sell and maybe get a little money for their family OR to feed their other horses is another option

Calling a rescue and having them report you to AC or another group especially if you have waited too long and the horses are thin is another option

There are many many options. This is but one. We do not ask for any option to be banned.

IF this slaughter facility does NOT do it properly it will immediately be shut down as it should be. Any plant that is "allowed" to open in the U.S. will be under such scrutiny I am sure they will abide by the rules..including county rules or they will be gone. That is fine.
    If that is where you are financially, you should not own horses period. Probably shouldn't have kids either if you have to use that scrap of money to feed them. Horses are luxury item whether you own the worlds biggest FUGLY or the Triple Crown winner. Owning horses requires a huge commitment if you aren't prepared to make the commitment you shouldn't own, if you lie to yourself until things get so bad they get starve etc. well that's on you. Get a clue by four. Look at reality instead of dreams.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I recall someone posting that the average age of horses going to slaughter is between 5 and 7 or 5 and 9. Anyone else?
    That was a USDA statement. But I am not going to search for it, Leo can do that himself once he gets his high speed. Give him some practice.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

This does however get into a bit of a slippery slope. Manure may hit the oscillating device now and then. Yes you can plan but you know that old saying when men/women plan God laughs.
    A lot of people lost their jobs when the economy tanked. Are all of them in similar income jobs??? I don't think so.

If that is where you are financially, you should not own horses period. Probably shouldn't have kids either if you have to use that scrap of money to feed them. Horses are luxury item whether you own the worlds biggest FUGLY or the Triple Crown winner. Owning horses requires a huge commitment if you aren't prepared to make the commitment you shouldn't own, if you lie to yourself until things get so bad they get starve etc. well that's on you. Get a clue by four. Look at reality instead of dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    This does however get into a bit of a slippery slope. Manure may hit the oscillating device now and then. Yes you can plan but you know that old saying when men/women plan God laughs.
    A lot of people lost their jobs when the economy tanked. Are all of them in similar income jobs??? I don't think so.
    Yes,but how many of us would send our horse to slaughter for food money? I suspect almost all of us (remember Alagirls threads about do you have $1K) would have already rehomed, sold or euthed the horse we couldn't afford before it got to the point where we needed to sell the horse to slaughter for food money.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

10 members found this post helpful.

This is no mystery. Go to New Holland or one of the other sales and see exactly who is consigning horses to ship. It's dealers, who go around sweeping up the CL give-aways, the breeders' culls, the broke-down racers and the tempermentally challenged or never started. Most of these people are part-time bottom-feeders who cannot make a living with viable using horses, so they hang on by doing this. They are scavengers who don't even want their names known.

If there's ONE viable way to deny this grisly food-chain "product," it's to use every forum at our disposal, including FB, COTH, and your local newspaper and TV or radio station--to publicize exactly how horses get from being somebody's dream to meat on a hook and put the responsibility on the right people--the OWNERS.

I do not buy the economic argument any more--that was true in 2008 maybe, but pretty old news now. The truth is the ONLY people who HAVE to have horses today are those who WANT them badly enough to prioritize ownership--and with that comes responsibility, financial and otherwise.

WE have to apply peer pressure to make it socially unacceptable to make Ol' Dobbin (or outgrown Dobbin, or Big Eq thrice-injected Dobbin) DISAPPEAR via the local Midnight Express dealer who will give you a pathetic check and a canned line of fantasy BS.

Slaughter as it is conducted now is NOT "OK" because it is NOT humane at any point from the auction house floor to the killing floor. Stop blowing sunshine on something that should be the shame of any people purporting to be "civilized."
    This can NOT be justified in the name of profit, sorry! Oh, and BTW, "profit" is not a god!

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    This is no mystery. Go to New Holland or one of the other sales and see exactly who is consigning horses to ship. It's dealers, who go around sweeping up the CL give-aways, the breeders' culls, the broke-down racers and the tempermentally challenged or never started.

If there's ONE viable way to deny this grisly food-chain "product," it's to use every forum at our disposal, including FB, COTH, and your local newspaper and TV or radio station--to publicize exactly how horses get from being somebody's dream to meat on a hook.

I do not buy the economic argument any more--that was true in 2008 maybe, but pretty old news now. The truth is the ONLY people who HAVE to have horses today are those who WANT them badly enough to prioritize ownership--and with that comes responsibility, financial and otherwise.

WE have to apply peer pressure to make it socially unacceptable to make Ol' Dobbin (or outgrown Dobbin, or Big Eq thrice-injected Dobbin) DISAPPEAR via the local Midnight Special dealer who will give you a pathetic check and a canned line of fantasy BS.

Slaughter as it is conducted now is NOT "OK" because it is NOT humane at any point from the auction house floor to the killing floor. Stop blowing sunshine on something that should be the shame of any people purporting to be "civilized."
    This can NOT be justified in the name of profit, sorry! Oh, and BTW, "profit" is not a god!
    Can't agree more.

There is another supply to the slaughter chain; the breeders who breed 100 in order to get ten good ones and send all the rest of the fat range fed ones and failed broodmares to slaughter as part of their horse breeding business. They do this on purpose and as part of their business. One stat I read years ago said something like 75 percent of slaughter horses were Quarter Horses. This would jibe with the AQHA's policy of supporting slaughter.

7 members found this post helpful.