The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Wow one of the most non constructive threads yet.
    Wait, they are all non constructive. Just bashing both sides.
    They are going to Slaughter horses people, one way or another, unless you are the richest person and you can afford to 1. Buy them all and feed them,or 2. Build your own state of the art Horse slaughter facility, where they are slaughtered humanely. NOTHING is going to be changed by this constant bickering and bantering and rehashing over and over and over and over again.
    In case you have not noticed... IT IS SPRING! Get out and enjoy it.
    Back to mowing~
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

2 members found this post helpful.

http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2013/...hter-plan.html

Ex-inspector has concerns about horse slaughter plan

Tue, May 21, 2013

LAS CRUCES –

Former U.S. Department of Agriculture inspector and horse race veterinarian Lester Friedlander, who has seen thousands of cows butchered over the years, has major reservations about plans to begin slaughtering horses in a Roswell plant....

Friedlander, a Pennsylvania resident, traveled to Roswell on Monday to lend his voice to those opposed to Valley Meat Co. owner Rick De Los Santos’ efforts to get the USDA inspections necessary to start up the nation’s first horse slaughterhouse in six years.

He held a news conference in front of the plant, outlining his reasons for opposing it.

Among his concerns is whether the horses can be humanely killed in the manner described by De Los Santos. De Los Santos took a Journal reporter on a tour of the plant recently and described the process, which involved shooting a retractable 8-inch-long bolt into the animal’s skull to destroy its brain.
    The horse would then be hung up, stabbed and drained of blood.

Friedlander also said that because horses are skittish and have longer necks, it is more difficult for slaughterhouse workers to effectively stun the animals with a bolt gun used on cattle.

Before the last horse slaughtering operations ended in the United States in 2007, there were many examples of horses having to be shot up to seven or eight times, he said.

Although Friedlander was not an inspector at any horse slaughter plants, he said he bases his statements on his background as a horse veterinarian and on research and studies on the effectiveness of using bolt guns on horses.

Congress halted funding for mandatory inspections in 2007, effectively closing all horse slaughter operations. The funding was restored for the current fiscal year, opening the door for De Los Santos’ plans.

Friedlander also said he doubts the claim by De Los Santos that a USDA inspector would be near the factory’s stun box to check whether a horse is unconscious before being stabbed.

“USDA doesn’t have the luxury or the funding to put an inspector right there at the stunning block,” Friedlander said. “There’s just no inspector there.”

Improper stunning could leave a horse conscious as it is stabbed and bled out.
    A Valley Meat Co. representative disputed Friedlander, saying the USDA had notified the company that an inspector would be located at that spot.

“If you have to do it more than once, you cause intense pain, and that’s a violation of the horse slaughter act,” said Friedlander, adding that the humane slaughter law was rarely enforced in the past.

Valley Meat attorney A. Blair Dunn said that Friedlander is uninformed about Valley Meat’s specific plans and that the company is taking steps to address the concerns of its many opponents, who include Gov. Susana Martinez and most of the state’s congressional delegation. Plans to open the plant have sparked opposition from around the country.

“Friedlander is making a big deal out of what he knows and applying it to what he hasn’t seen,” Dunn said. “He doesn’t know the inside of this plant. That’s what it really comes down to.”

Friedlander said three USDA inspectors are typically stationed at a slaughter plant to inspect the head and tongue, the intestines, and finally the carcass of an animal. A USDA veterinarian typically moves about a plant working with inspectors.

Dunn said USDA officials informed De Los Santos that a federal inspector would be by the stun box. Dunn also argued that the Roswell factory is so compact that a USDA veterinarian would be aware of how effectively, or ineffectively, employees used the bolt gun.

De Los Santos plans to slaughter about 100 horses a day over a 10-hour period, making it a relatively small operation compared with big beef slaughterhouses.

Dunn added that De Los Santos has not ruled out an alternative method of putting a horse down – a gun to the head – before the animal is bled out.

“If that (the bolt gun) is not working, they have the capability to switch to the other. It’s whatever has the best results,” Dunn said.

As of July 1, the European Union will require a lifetime medical history for horse meat imports, in an effort to keep out substances banned from the food supply. Painkillers commonly given to race horses are banned.

Friedlander contended that paperwork certifying horses are free of banned substances could be easily faked.

Dunn said that is the responsibility of companies that would supply Valley Meat with animals for slaughter and, he noted, some countries where horse meat is eaten do not apply European Union standards.

Dunn said the plant passed the USDA’s inspections, and the grant of inspections could occur any time, pending a Department of Justice review of threatened litigation.

Animal welfare organizations that include Humane Society of the United States intend to sue to stop the plant, saying its byproducts would threaten water sources.

Dunn also said Valley Meat is negotiating with several outfits that would supply horses for slaughter.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

^^^ That is just the HSUS showing it's hand again.

3 members found this post helpful.

Lester is well known for his HSUS support and in particular Wayne Pacelle.

He has no validity

4 members found this post helpful.

Maybe addressing the issue is too much of a stretch for the pro-slaughter crowd. So much easier to blame HSUS than to actually take the argument on.
    "He has no validity" but his argument does......Yours, not so much.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Maybe addressing the issue is too much of a stretch for the pro-slaughter crowd. So much easier to blame HSUS than to actually take the argument on.
    "He has no validity" but his argument does......Yours, not so much.
    He prefers horses to go over the border to Mexico to be slaughtered, I guess.

The issue has been addressed over and over.

False pictures of a "tour" of the facility..never happened.

Therefore stating they had truly done a poor job and everything was just the same as it was before is again..a story

As for Lester..he makes his point..he has also been the guest speaker many many times at HSUS fund raisers and I expect he is also one of their influential lobby individuals

Lester uses the advanced philosphy of " So when did you stop beating your wife"

He knows it can be done but he believes in forever homes...I wonder if he is still a vegan...??????

His analogy of a horse had to be shot 7 or 8 times and that it happened with regularity was not substantiated.

He already knows the chutes have been changed for the industry.

But he prefers to recycle the same old same old he has since 2008.

By the way..when cornered and asked what his solution was..he did not have one that did not involved wood nymph's , bamby.... thumper. AND all breeders should quit producing.

He has NEVER explained why the average is is 6 and over and that is from both HSUS and USDA

Re-read the post...it lacks substance and is just the rehasing of an old view.

As stated. He has NOT been in the new plant.

1 members found this post helpful.

P.S. HSUS unveiled its GIVE US MONEY SO WE CAN SAVE THE ANIMALS IN OKLAHOMA program...like Katrina..nary a cent will stay there...

Thankfully, TV and radio have been supporting the LOCAL humane societies and rescue groups..and telling listeners to give the money ONLY locally...

I would have thought that with Lois from IRS having her butt in a sling Wayne would go quiet..not so...

Will be interesting to see if IRS has any "plans" for future slaughter plants..

As for HSUS caring about the water...why do they now advocate euthanization with burial?

Talk about double speak

Oh goody more slaughter threads.
    While I am not as you know opposed to slaughter, I am opposed to the fact that stunning horses with the cattle bolt with their heads unrestrained is an issue,
    And no matter what I have read, I go back to The canada slaughter house video that Temple Grandin viewed, Many misses and rehits.
    They snake their heads and duck, and it causes misses, most cattle just stand there. And are easier to restrain.
    So I still think that is an ineffective inefficient way to slaughter horses.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Why does this thread title need three exclamation marks?

I believe it relates to the size of the ego of the OP.

12 members found this post helpful.

If they could find a better way to do it - I wouldn't have an issue with it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Oh goody more slaughter threads.
    While I am not as you know opposed to slaughter, I am opposed to the fact that stunning horses with the cattle bolt with their heads unrestrained is an issue,
    And no matter what I have read, I go back to The canada slaughter house video that Temple Grandin viewed, Many misses and rehits.
    They snake their heads and duck, and it causes misses, most cattle just stand there. And are easier to restrain.
    So I still think that is an ineffective inefficient way to slaughter horses.

At best I think slaughter is a necessary evil. Therefore, even if this was the best plant in the whole wide world with all the horses with honest & perfect paperwork, and the most humane killing process possible, I would still be sort of sad that it had to exist.

I find the enthusiasm of the OP to be morbid, really.

Just for the record, I'm predicting that a year or so from now, if the plant opens, that it will be no better than past operations.

It's amazing how so many proud members of the sisterhood as well as those still closeted, can post and re-post the same worn-out comments!!! How you draw any inference from the use of 3 apostrophes is comical!!!
    Wise up sisters, hsus is about to face a true reckoning now that their shill at the IRS is headed for jail. No more protecting the puppetmaster Wayne.
    And it is so very sad that so many lend any credence to that vet who stood like a sissy in front of the plant to preach to his like-minded reporters! What a joke.
    Also have been having a laugh reading about the judgemental SPORTHORSE QUEEN on other forums! Very interesting indeed!!!

"Friedlander also said that because horses are skittish and have longer necks, it is more difficult for slaughterhouse workers to effectively stun the animals with a bolt gun used on cattle.

Before the last horse slaughtering operations ended in the United States in 2007, there were many examples of horses having to be shot up to seven or eight times, he said.

Although Friedlander was not an inspector at any horse slaughter plants, he said he bases his statements on his background as a horse veterinarian and on research and studies on the effectiveness of using bolt guns on horses."

I found this interesting. No first hand knowledge or observation?
    And the links to the research and studies?
    I just think if he is using other people's statistics it would be polite to let us know.

"Because I say so" isn't quite enough to make it fact, or scientific proof.

-And everything he says may be true.
    Or not.

Sometimes when you call a second vet for another opinion, the diagnosis and treatment change, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    It's amazing how so many proud members of the sisterhood as well as those still closeted, can post and re-post the same worn-out comments!!! How you draw any inference from the use of 3 apostrophes is comical!!!
    Wise up sisters, hsus is about to face a true reckoning now that their shill at the IRS is headed for jail. No more protecting the puppetmaster Wayne.
    And it is so very sad that so many lend any credence to that vet who stood like a sissy in front of the plant to preach to his like-minded reporters! What a joke.
    Also have been having a laugh reading about the judgemental SPORTHORSE QUEEN on other forums! Very interesting indeed!!!
    I think there is a supplement for low testosterone, you might want to look into it. Glad the "sisterhood" makes you insecure about your own posts.

Oh boy, SV is back to thinking I'm a man again.
    Bluey, Fairfax and D.Baldstockings have just logically and surgically sliced and diced Friedlander and his textbook hsus pablum. Funny how silent those who dance to Wayne's tune have become. They now see that hsus has only survived as a non-profit because he had one of his sycophants in charge of the non-profit section of the IRS.
    We have warned that Wayne and many of the other radical, AR groups are methodically moving step by step toward their ability to tell everyone how they will treat their animals. That is for one, generation. Wayne wants no more animal ownership after the current generation is gone. One of his 'small steps' was to place his group's member in the IRS to run cover for him.

The black helicopters are coming...beware! Obamacare is going to make everyone implant a chip so they can track you in March 2013, the government can direct tornadoes, and let's not forget the chip that is in every HDTV so the government can listen to your every word....
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

11 members found this post helpful.

How 'bout SH's for asshats?

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    The black helicopters are coming...beware! Obamacare is going to make everyone implant a chip so they can track you in March 2013, the government can direct tornadoes, and let's not forget the chip that is in every HDTV so the government can listen to your every word....
    You can't seriously be that ignorant of what is happening in this country,
    Oh wait you are one of the uninformed. Just by what you are writing proves you know nothing but the nonsense.
    Wake up and you might see truth, not the Goofy crap you just wrote.
    Since it is not off topic day I will not elaborate.
    And if you think The IRS being in charge of Healthcare is a good thing, well I hope to be around when you realize what your life will be like.
    I actually feel very sorry for the uninformed.