The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I don't know about Asia, but in Europe different meats are a choice, just like some prefer turkey over chicken and why not?

What horse meat is is one more source of protein out there.
    No reason to tell others what they should eat or not, any more than you would like it if others decided what YOU can eat or not.

I think it is distasteful that so many just kill their horses and waste all that carcass should be, on a misguided cultural bias and then feel so good about that.
    Then, I don't go around asking for donations to change the laws to make everyone take their horse that will be euthanized to a slaughter plant, if there was one, just because I think that is the best way not to be wasteful.
    If you want to plant it in the ground or send it to the landfill, that is your choice, as it should be.
    I expect those same kind of smug people that would tell others they have to waste all that some horses can be once dead would never think to not recycle their plastic water bottles.

Remember, there is way more to these debates than the animal rights extremist fueled propaganda of abuses and mismanagement they keep bringing up when slaughter is the topic.
    THAT is addressed by, as any other process we have, thru laws and regulations, inspections and good management.

Those that say this plant before was not perfect, did you ever look at your local restaurants, hospitals, schools, sheriff's departments, any and all we do in life that is regulated and see how many times inspectors find something not up to par and even close some of those because of it?

THAT is part of any process and no one has mega millionaire non-profit groups using them, for their cause of the moment with the excuse to ban them, because "look, someone didn't do things right".

No one is out there demonstrating against opening a new nursing home and asking for donations to ban all nursing homes because, look at all the abuse stories, no one can run a nursing home right, we can find abuses to video in any of them.
    Why? That doesn't make those mega bucks non-profits enough money.

Don't know if this plant will open, or any other, but if they do, go complain then, if you have reason to do so.
    All one has to do is read the Ag gag thread..and the misinformation caught quickly by a COTHER regarding piles of horns. Similar to the carriage misinformation that the horses are tortured ....

Jenm just doesn't know any better That is why she quotes directly from the Animal Rights handbook

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan P View Post
    There has recently been an increase in stolen horses in Oxford, PA.
    Do you have or know where I can find descriptions of these horses? I'm in that area a lot and would be happy to keep my eyes open.

Here, we had 40 burglaries in 30 days and still keep having them, plus bank and convenience robberies several times a week.
    Thieves are cutting chains and even stealing those.

Our sheriff thinks it is the economy and drug users, where so many are stealing anything that is not nailed down worse than ever.

I would not be surprised some are stealing trailers, tack and horses, if that is what they find available.

I hope those in your area are aware of that horse stealing and taking precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Jenm just doesn't know any better That is why she quotes directly from the Animal Rights handbook
    Please retract this statement. It's not true, is uncalled for and I don't appreciate it.

Thank you.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

15 members found this post helpful.

I don't disagree in some regards - we do use mega drugs to put down our animals that could be used in other ways - not to mention what to do with a chemical filled body.
    I would like to see vets do it the old-fashioned way.

You copied before I edited that for clarity, the "you" was meant as a plural, but may not be taken as such, so edited it to a more PC "some".

What we get out of any process is secondary.

The important part is that we really should not ban any one process by which we use some natural, renewable resources, as SOME horses can be, on some misguided "distaste" and drives for donations by non-profit groups.
    That was my point.

These threads are soooooooo tedious; same tired circular arguments, again and again and AGAIN.

I think it's time that 7A, Bluey and Fairfax form a 501(c)3 called "Knackerjacks" to lobby for "Horses are Protein Too!" Hey, equal time is only fair. They can hand out free samples and brochures called "Run for the Roast" on Saturday at Churchill Downs . . .

36 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    These threads are soooooooo tedious; same tired circular arguments, again and again and AGAIN.

I think it's time that 7A, Bluey and Fairfax form a 501(c)3 called "Knackerjacks" to lobby for "Horses are Protein Too!" Hey, equal time is only fair. They can hand out free samples and brochures called "Run for the Roast" on Saturday at Churchill Downs . . .

2 members found this post helpful.

"KnackerJacks" Best nickname yet for the crew!
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

13 members found this post helpful.

Maybe because so much some post is right out of what is found in the animal rights extremist propaganda?
    And so much some post is right out of what is found in the Rick Berman Bible of extremist propaganda. Yawn.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Please retract this statement. It's not true, is uncalled for and I don't appreciate it.

Thank you.
    Maybe stop sounding like you are a card carrying member and no one would write that!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

3 members found this post helpful.

This is not a new slaughterhouse, it is an old cattle slaughterhouse. One that had repeated violations and was closed for them. They may have washed the place down but that is about the extent of any modifications (that they showed on TV anyway).

And yes horned cattle ARE slaughtered. Feedlot steers may be dehorned young but many range cattle are not just as many dairy cows are not. They all end up there too. So there may very well have been horns there.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Oh boy! More of that many years old info from the rara handbook! What some hysterical rara 'claims' happened many years ago has no relevance to what will happen there in just a number of days. State of the art methods, video, and federal police to keep it all secure. It would be less burden on the tax payer if it weren't necessary to guard against the hysterics of the sisterhood. I'll just bet the federal police forces will enforce ag-gag within 10 miles of the plant!

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    Oh boy! More of that many years old info from the rara handbook! What some hysterical rara 'claims' happened many years ago has no relevance to what will happen there in just a number of days. State of the art methods, video, and federal police to keep it all secure. It would be less burden on the tax payer if it weren't necessary to guard against the hysterics of the sisterhood. I'll just bet the federal police forces will enforce ag-gag within 10 miles of the plant!
    You sound like you own stock in the place.

Remember, this will be your example on how things have changed and how wonderful slaughter is. Are they planning on playing Muzak for the horses too?

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Are they planning on playing Muzak for the horses too?
    I wonder what they would play? "Suicide Is Painless" (the theme to M*A*S*H)? "Janie's Got A Gun"? "Better Off Dead" (an obscure Elton John song)?
    Sheilah

\ State of the art methods, video, and federal police to keep it all secure. It would be less burden on the tax payer if it weren't necessary to guard against the hysterics of the sisterhood. I'll just bet the federal police forces will enforce ag-gag within 10 miles of the plant!
    Links to information about this, please, other than the same story making the rounds. Rick de los Santos does not count as a source given the fact he is a felon and steals from charities.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    I wonder what they would play? "Suicide Is Painless" (the theme to M*A*S*H)? "Janie's Got A Gun"? "Better Off Dead" (an obscure Elton John song)?
    Sheilah
    You left out: A Horse With No Name...

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    Sheilah
    I vote for "Don't Fear the Reaper."

Wow. The mind reels at the complete idiocy of this statement.
    Of course, coming from a member of Fairfax's infamous "research team" hardly surprising.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Links to information about this, please, other than the same story making the rounds. Rick de los Santos does not count as a source given the fact he is a felon and steals from charities.

You left out: A Horse With No Name...
    I have been trying to determine IF this is the same Rick de los Santos

There are 12 of them listed and definitely 3 could meet the same profile. Was there an article or link that stated de los Santos of Valley Feeds?

I found this on the Huffington Post so I called them. The lady I spoke with told me it had nothing to do with a grab of charity donations from stores as was reported on this forum.

This was a post

Well, that's funny, kharma has seen fit to do unto this Mr. Santos-he once was convicted of residential burglary-and his business was burglarized. This man was up for Felony Criminal Trespass and he was criminally trespassed against. And he now knows how it feels. So if kharma got him in its sweet time

I am trying to track the burglary as the Huffington Post believed it was a charge from his ex wife or something to that effect during a rather vicious divorce. . Which would also account for the Criminal Trespass

It would appear your source is incorrect Jenm however I am willing to stand corrected if you can direct me to a legitimate information source other than an animal rights reporter. Huffington Post which is for animal rights did not confirm your comment.

LOL Love the song but Suicide is Painless might be a little more soothing.

I vote for "Don't Fear the Reaper."

"Nearer My God to Thee?" (from the Titanic).

"Signed, Sealed, Delivered."
    Last edited by betonbill; May. 2, 2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: adding on