The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

I thought there wasn't any money in the budget for inspectors?

2 members found this post helpful.

This thread is making me want to bust out my tin foil helmet.

6 members found this post helpful.

There is money for inspectors. Even if they pull the standard sequester excuse, we have seen that they can simply reallocate funds to work around it. I don't see anyone here cheering for slaughter. But it is a necessary part of the puzzle. There are over 800,000 horses killed in the U.S./year, and there is no reason to waste all those bodies when humans are starving for lack of protein in many parts of the world.

1 members found this post helpful.

There may be over 800,000 horses killed every year, but all but 100,000 or so seem to have caring owners who really don't believe that they should become cheval burgers.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    there is no reason to waste all those bodies when humans are starving for lack of protein in many parts of the world.
    Horse meat is considered a delicacy in Europe and Asia. That meat sure as heck isn't going to starving people when it can be sold for about $20.00/lb.

Nice try.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Horse meat is considered a delicacy in Europe and Asia. That meat sure as heck isn't going to starving people when it can be sold for about $20.00/lb.

Nice try.
    I don't know about Asia, but in Europe different meats are a choice, just like some prefer turkey over chicken and why not?

What horse meat is is one more source of protein out there.
    No reason to tell others what they should eat or not, any more than you would like it if others decided what YOU can eat or not.

I think it is distasteful that so many just kill their horses and waste all that carcass should be, on a misguided cultural bias and then feel so good about that.
    Then, I don't go around asking for donations to change the laws to make everyone take their horse that will be euthanized to a slaughter plant, if there was one, just because I think that is the best way not to be wasteful.
    If you want to plant it in the ground or send it to the landfill, that is your choice, as it should be.
    I expect those same kind of smug people that would tell others they have to waste all that some horses can be once dead would never think to not recycle their plastic water bottles.

Remember, there is way more to these debates than the animal rights extremist fueled propaganda of abuses and mismanagement they keep bringing up when slaughter is the topic.
    THAT is addressed by, as any other process we have, thru laws and regulations, inspections and good management.

Those that say this plant before was not perfect, did you ever look at your local restaurants, hospitals, schools, sheriff's departments, any and all we do in life that is regulated and see how many times inspectors find something not up to par and even close some of those because of it?

THAT is part of any process and no one has mega millionaire non-profit groups using them, for their cause of the moment with the excuse to ban them, because "look, someone didn't do things right".

No one is out there demonstrating against opening a new nursing home and asking for donations to ban all nursing homes because, look at all the abuse stories, no one can run a nursing home right, we can find abuses to video in any of them.
    Why? That doesn't make those mega bucks non-profits enough money.

Don't know if this plant will open, or any other, but if they do, go complain then, if you have reason to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I don't know about Asia, but in Europe different meats are a choice, just like some prefer turkey over chicken and why not?

What horse meat is is one more source of protein out there.
    No reason to tell others what they should eat or not, any more than you would like it if others decided what YOU can eat or not, just because they make those choices for you.

Don't know if this plant will open, or any other, but if they do, go complain then, if you have reason to do so.
    Did you not understand what I wrote in response to the misinformation 7arabians posted? I didn't write ANYTHING about wanting to complain nor did I say anything about what people choose to eat.

I simply called 7a out for making a false statement. Not sure why you felt the need to write a long rant that is not related to my post. I guess you were just looking for a reason to use "animal rights extremist" and "propaganda".

Different cuts are also a choice in Japan.

10 members found this post helpful.

Did you not understand what I wrote in response to the misinformation 7arabians posted? I didn't write ANYTHING about wanting to complain nor did I say anything about what people choose to eat.

I simply called 7a out for making a false statement. Not sure why you felt the need to write a long rant that is not related to my post. I guess you were just looking for a reason to use "animal rights extremist" and "propaganda".

Different cuts are also a choice in Japan.
    Maybe because so much some post is right out of what is found in the animal rights extremist propaganda?
    Last edited by Bluey; May. 1, 2013 at 05:01 PM.

Last November they put the funding back in the budget but already took it out for 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by pezk View Post
    I thought there wasn't any money in the budget for inspectors?

Whether slaughter is allowed again or not - horse meat is not likely to be given to the poor as 7a suggested. Sue Wallis already went through that one wanting to feed it to our school kids. NOT HAPPENING.

Maybe because so much you post is right out of what is found in the animal rights extremist propaganda?

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    Last November they put the funding back in the budget but already took it out for 2014.
    That has been ongoing for all we do, remember the flight controllers shutting some airports hours down because of that same?

All the meat inspectors for all plants had the funding cut initially, then reinstated.
    No telling where this will go from here.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    Whether slaughter is allowed again or not - horse meat is not likely to be given to the poor as 7a suggested. Sue Wallis already went through that one wanting to feed it to our school kids. NOT HAPPENING.
    You copied before I edited that for clarity, the "you" was meant as a plural, but may not be taken as such, so edited it to a more PC "some".

What we get out of any process is secondary.

The important part is that we really should not ban any one process by which we use some natural, renewable resources, as SOME horses can be, on some misguided "distaste" and drives for donations by non-profit groups.
    That was my point.

Maybe because so much you post is right out of what is found in the animal rights extremist propaganda?
    Not even, but you still made me laugh!

Not even, but you still made me laugh!

That is good, they say laughing is good for you.

Conspiracy theories: Now with exponentially more stupid.

I seriously think I lost more brain cells reading parts of this thread than I did when I got my last concussion.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    So you think the FBI is going to start shipping horses to slaughter? Huh?
    No, Only Idiots

2 members found this post helpful.

Well if you ask me, the idiots already are shipping horses to slaughter. Nothing newsworthy there. Glad we have the thread complete with three exclamation marks in the title to announce the fact that nothing has changed.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    I'm also puzzled by the great amount of glee some of the posters are exhibiting.
    Slaughter may be viewed as necessary by some, but certainly nothing to be celebrating in the streets about.

Like Angela said, y'all had better have all digits crossed that this indeed will be a clean, well run, and super humane slaughter house. From what I have read about the plant's prior history, I wouldn't list it as a poster child for slaughter.

Also, runoff from the plant, if it isn't regulated, just MIGHT be very hazardous to some of those threatened native species mentioned above.

We'll all be watching, waiting, and taking notes.
    Wasn't it Angela who stated she KNEW and has it from indisputable sources that the shipping of horses to slaughter in Canada and the USA was now CLOSED due to infractions against the passport system.

I posted that I did not know the reason but I did know that the EU had NOTHING on it. Well, Angela and a couple more posted they had proof.;one Canadian gal even stated she PHONED and spoke with them in Brussels. Angela and group were outright GIDDY. SLAUGHTER WAS DEAD

WHOOPS...turns out they were way wrong..it was not closed..wrong label IN FRENCH at the Mexican plant..that was all and back to normal.

I am pro slaughter HOWEVER I only see it as ONE PIECE of the puzzle. I take no satisfaction from seeing a horse slaughtered however I also take no satisfaction from reading about rescues sending horses from sale to sale trying to dump them..or horses discovered..near death.

I take no satisfaction for the death of the steer that provides my steak..or the pig for my chops..or the chicken for my dinner nor for a horse for food. But slaughter IS a fact of life

And, of course Abercrombie;..with no solutions that will work..tosses her 7 year old information into the hat. It is a new decade and I do not see any type of ban implementeed..I hope this plant does it well, humanely and does it right. They have had a lot of input and have asked many questions from successful plants.

Give it a rest about native species. That is the usual ploy of the green movement to stop anything and everything.

You might be needing those jobs. Now that China has agreed to invest 25 BILLION dollars in a refinery and rail shipping of crude oil from Athabasca Oil Sands to a Canadian refinery..those 70,000 U S jobs for 5 years and then around 30,000 until ??? are probably not going to happen.

Every job is going to count in the U.S.

Nice try.
    But you claimed it was cheap meat and that was why they were putting it into the beef burgers etc..Please make up your mind.

Nice Try

There has recently been an increase in stolen horses in Oxford, PA.