The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast

Default Valley Meats openng is imminent!!!

Hang on folks! Valley Meats may open for business any day now. One must wonder if the raid at ac4h wasn't given the green light since Valley will be the first to open in the U.S. in 6 years! As the feds squeeze the rescue racketeers, they need some place to dispose of the horses.

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack says the southern New Mexico plant that has been fighting for more than a year for permission to slaughter horses will open soon,

"We are going to do this, and I would imagine that it would be done relatively soon," Vilsack said.

Vilsack says the administration understands the concerns and "needs to be more creative" in finding alternative solutions to horse overpopulation.

3 members found this post helpful.

Valley Meats' received a glowing inspection last week and they are now waiting for the final signature to commence operations. A new facility, new, highly trained employees will make the end much more humane and instant than if they cross the border to Mexico.

8 members found this post helpful.

Edited: nevermind. There it is!

WHat do you mean about a raid at ac4h? Is there a thread on that somewhere? I'm out of the loop (a friend just got burned by them last week, even after fair warning).

Oh, please like the raid on AC4H has anything to do with the opening of that plant in NM. It isn't like the horses in PA would be shipped to NM anyway. There is a plant in Canada that is way closer.
    I live in SE PA. It is my understanding is that any of the kill buyers that operate out of New Holland have take them to Canada as that has been the nearest horse slaughter house for many many years. I have been going to New Holland off and on since 1986.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

24 members found this post helpful.

It is not that that the raid at ac4h is enabling the opening of Valley Meats, but rather, the imminent opening of Valley Meats will enable raids like the one at ac4h and the many others which are planned. The government certainly didn't want to start the raids and then be embarrassed by having to ship them across the border.

So you think the FBI is going to start shipping horses to slaughter? Huh?

19 members found this post helpful.

Hang on. Wait until more facts come out. However; it is clear that most rescues will be flattened by the tax man. Those horses will be sent to slaughter. The fast track which Valley is on was helped by the Feds' need to dispose of the problem. And don't pretend that Wayne is not licking his chops! This raid and the others which will happen in short order are part of what his 52 lawyers have been lobbying for! Where do you think most of the mustangs have been going for several years? Your naivete is charming.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yeah right, I have been doing horse rescue for over 20 years. I am not naive about any aspect of the process. The FBI doesn't send the mustangs to slaughter however, that would be the BLM. I am not saying that the meat plant won't open but I think you are taking a leap with the dots you are connecting.

23 members found this post helpful.

7arabians,

Laurierace is far from naive and your particular blend of weird and crazy is far from charming. Based upon your incredibly bizzare posting history, I doubt that you are familiar with either reality or facts.

I will wait for an official announcement from Valley Meats or the USDA as I sincerely doubt anyone would trust a loose cannon like you with any inside information.
    Last edited by ADM7040; May. 1, 2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: clarification of who I was addressing
    Annabelle Mayr, Arcadia Farm
    Home of Fitz, Max, Daeo & Austria
    Now over the Rainbow Bridge: Finn, Jake & Seamus

34 members found this post helpful.

With the history that Valley Meats has of believing rules are either bendable rubber or meant to be completely broken... well, for the pro-slaughter side to be giddy about this being the first new US plant to open and set the precedent for how the new US plants will run... seems to be about as smart as placing your freshly laid, free range eggs in a moldy, holey basket.

But go nuts, have your party... when this plant turns out to be as crapastic as the rest were and shows the world that in fact US plants are actually NOT motivated to do things the right way, the better more humane way, and comply with regulations... don't be shocked when the backlash to close them bites ya'.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

20 members found this post helpful.

Angela,
    Valley will have no choice but comply with guidelines, unlike the rescue groups you praise.
    I am not 'giddy' about the opening of a plant. I merely see it as a better end for a noble horse than to bounce around among 'rescue' groups who do nothing but house them until they can no longer raise enough funds for the group.
    Temple Grandin has given a the thumbs up and that means things are much more humane than they were 10 years ago!

Looks like the anti-slaughter groups are nearly out of options. It sounds like they intend to sue after the plant opens for endangered species in area water sources: Among species mentioned in the notice are the Pecos bluntnose shiner, three snail species and a freshwater shrimp.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have 7Arabians on ignore, but I glean from the responses of others that it seems positively gleeful at the prospect of horses going to slaughter.

I myself am more or less undecided on the slaughter issue, but the amount of enjoyment it (and its BFF Fairfax, also on ignore) seem to derive from slaughtered horses is kind of morbid and sick. Maybe the two of them can get together and plan a picnic outing to the slaughter plant someday.

28 members found this post helpful.

I'm also puzzled by the great amount of glee some of the posters are exhibiting.
    Slaughter may be viewed as necessary by some, but certainly nothing to be celebrating in the streets about.

Like Angela said, y'all had better have all digits crossed that this indeed will be a clean, well run, and super humane slaughter house. From what I have read about the plant's prior history, I wouldn't list it as a poster child for slaughter.

Also, runoff from the plant, if it isn't regulated, just MIGHT be very hazardous to some of those threatened native species mentioned above.

We'll all be watching, waiting, and taking notes.

22 members found this post helpful.

I used to believe that it was nobody's business what someone did with their horse but I had to give a lot of consideration about it one day and am a convert. I have been anti slaughter ever since. I have personal reasons why I've taken this position which would not work for most of the COTH members. But despite personal reasons, Dr. Friedlander's affidavit should be enough to convince you that is if you have a heart. http://www.manesandtailsorganization...edlander_1.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I have 7Arabians on ignore, but I glean from the responses of others that it seems positively gleeful at the prospect of horses going to slaughter.

I myself am more or less undecided on the slaughter issue, but the amount of enjoyment it (and its BFF Fairfax, also on ignore) seem to derive from slaughtered horses is kind of morbid and sick. Maybe the two of them can get together and plan a picnic outing to the slaughter plant someday.

4 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=7arabians;6965912]Hang on folks! Valley Meats may open for business any day now. One must wonder if the raid at ac4h wasn't given the green light since Valley will be the first to open in the U.S. in 6 years! As the feds squeeze the rescue racketeers, they need some place to dispose of the horses.

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack says the southern New Mexico plant that has been fighting for more than a year for permission to slaughter horses will open soon, UNLESS CONGRESS REINSTATES A BAN ON THE PRACTICE

You forgot the rest of the sentence

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    Valley Meats' received a glowing inspection last week and they are now waiting for the final signature to commence operations. A new facility, new, highly trained employees will make the end much more humane and instant than if they cross the border to Mexico.
    Since Valley Meat's employee Tim Sappington recently crawled back under his rock, I hear the have an opening. Maybe you could apply for a position as their new director of spin, er, I mean "Public Relations"

Meanwhile, in real life:

Owner of Valley Meats lied on Federal Permit application regarding previous felony convictions.

Valley Meats previously shut down for violations of Humane Slaughter act when killing cattle.

An employee of Valley Meats made a now infamous video of himself killing a horse preceeded by a string of profanity to evidently "make a statement" to
    "Animal Rights"

Numerous citations and fines for environmental violations.

Yeah, these are quality folks.

26 members found this post helpful.

Just trying to stir the pot.

[QUOTE=JBD;6966265]
    Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    Hang on folks! Valley Meats may open for business any day now. One must wonder if the raid at ac4h wasn't given the green light since Valley will be the first to open in the U.S. in 6 years! As the feds squeeze the rescue racketeers, they need some place to dispose of the horses.

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack says the southern New Mexico plant that has been fighting for more than a year for permission to slaughter horses will open soon, UNLESS CONGRESS REINSTATES A BAN ON THE PRACTICE

You forgot the rest of the sentence

4 members found this post helpful.

Am I happy Horse Slaughter will open a plant in the US again? Believe it or not I'm mixed. On the one hand yes because I've never morally had an issue with it. However I agree with many the way the horses were slaughtered before was inhumane and wrong and it needs to change. I am really not pleased it's Valley Meats that is opening the first plant either. His idea of rules and the law don't seem to walk on the same street.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

9 members found this post helpful.