The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need jingles for George

I have one outdoor feral and an outdoor stray that showed up at my house about two years ago. I had them both neutered and since they got regular meals and no one ran them off they stayed.

The feral has been sick since Friday. He hasn't eaten but wouldn't let me catch him, nor was he tempted by all the delicious things I used to try to trap him with. Finally last night, he got in the dog house on the porch that I bought for them and I was able to don gloves and get him in a carrier.

I think I grabbed part of the belly and a back leg and just threw him in there - thank God for top loading carriers!

I hope it's nothing serious and is something that a Convenia shot can fix. He would let me pet him before he got sick, but that's all. I can't nurse him back to health and if he won't eat, I can't get any pills in him at all.

Please send jingles and prayers to him. I call him George. He's a super cute black & white tuxedo that loved having his cheeks rubbed. He'd drool all over the place and purr up a storm.

Having just gone through this with one of my ferals, Capt'n Jack, I feel for you. It is so hard not to get too attached to these poor guys that did not get a chance to be someone's pet.

Sending Jingles to you and George - my guy did well with the long acting antibiotic the vet gave him. I could not have treated him either - he was just letting me pat him before he got hurt/sick. Thankfully my guy is fully on the mend (although he will probably always limp), and I am very thankful. I worry about them every day - praying they do not go near the road and that no other animals bother them.

Come on George - please get well!

Bad news for George. He tested a strong postive for FIV and had fluid in his lungs. The vet recommended euthanasia.

Please don't bash me for this. If he were able to be handled and medicated I would do it, but I can't.

Poor little ferals don't stand a chance. At least he enjoyed a couple of years of food and learned that not all people are bad.

Witherbee, thank you. I'm so glad your guy is doing better. Give him an extra helping of extra good wet food for me tonight

RIP George - you deserved better.

Oh I'm sorry, I'm glad you cared for him and gave him food! I have a "tarp kitty" who lives under my tarp and will not let anyone touch her. I would be in your shoes as well. Bless you for what you did for him, yes George deserved better in his life but he found you and that sounds like a gift for him. Take good care of yourself!

So sorry! George definitely deserved better, but he was very blessed to have you. He knew a bit of love, comfort, and a full belly. Feral furries are tough because we can only do so much to help them. You did right by him
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Bless you for giving him a kind ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfield View Post
    Bless you for giving him a kind ending.
    This, seriously! You did right by him by giving him a chance and a very dignified end.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you all very much. I'm going to miss the little guy - I grew quite accustomed to him coming running around the house every time I came out on the porch. And I'm going to miss that big ol' purr and just the look of pleasure on his face when he got his cheeks rubbed. I'll even miss the drool.

I'm glad I was able to get him last night - I've been afraid every day that he was going to run off and die. At least he went peacefully.

Thanks again.

More hugs....you gave him a couple years of great living. So many don't even
    get a couple of months. Godspeed George!

No one should bash you and you shouldn't bash yourself. George had a better life and a better ending that the majority of ferals. RIP George.

Hugs to you and George. I have two ferals now that I can't catch to neuter, let alone get shots for, and I've had strays show up with FeLV, so no condemnation here, just sympathy. Sometimes we do all we can and at the end of the day, that has to be enough. He had a good two years with you and a peaceful end, and that's more, sadly, than most get.

RIP George.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant