The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Scoring Question (esp. for recent L program participants)

This weekend I saw a dressage 1-1 (first level, test 1; NOT EYE ONE) dressage test judged by an L-with-distinction that had movement marks of one 4, eight 6s, six 7s, and one 8. Collective marks were 7, 6, 7, 8, 7, and 8.

I had always thought it was guideline that collective marks couldn't exceed the average of movement marks.

Has this guideline been adjusted, thrown out, or is it being influenced personal philosophy in this case?

(I'm not looking to criticize the judge or the program, just clarity on guidance.)

TFYH
    Last edited by AllWeatherGal; May. 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Correct ambiguous representation of test level.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

Generally, the collective marks should reflect the overall marks of the test. There are some exceptions of course - for example a horse could have fabulous gaits (and be scored accordingly in the collective marks) but have a bad test. Or a horse could be totally lackluster in the gaits (which will lower many of the individual movement marks) but have an accurate, pleasant, harmonious ride, thus getting a higher mark for "harmony".

I might add, the L program is focused on Training - 2nd level, so when an L is asked to judge an FEI test, well, you get what you paid for

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks MOR,

Just to double-clarify () ... the test was First level, test one, not Intermediare one! Can you imagine the presentation of I-1 with 8-quality harmony? (daydreaming ... )

Horse's gaits reflected tension in the back ... but as she gets more showing experience (her career consisted of one BN (eventing) test last fall), I hope that diminishes.

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    Thanks MOR,

Just to double-clarify () ... the test was First level, test one, not Intermediare one! Can you imagine the presentation of I-1 with 8-quality harmony? (daydreaming ... )

Horse's gaits reflected tension in the back ... but as she gets more showing experience (her career consisted of one BN (eventing) test last fall), I hope that diminishes.
    Hehehehe, I read it EYE 1. Having just judged last weekend too, and one test was an EYE 1

The movement scores could have been affected by modifier errors, like accuracy.

Or maybe the horse was a good mover who had a spook or shutdown somewhere in the test.

Sounds like a very nice horse, with a very good rider, that had some bad moments in a test. That said, it is really odd to have a test that is mostly 6s (if I read that right) and get so many 7s and 8s on the collectives. I don't recall the order of the collectives - if the 6 is the score for submission, then it would make sense.

Gosh, those collectives don't sound too out of line to me. Tell me what movement the 4 was for and what the 8 was for. The two eights in the collectives are for rider position and harmony - I can see that for a pleasant, effective rider and a willing horse with perhaps some bobbles that might bring individual scores down. What were the coefficient movements scored?

BUSTED

e-pony ... yes, the 6 was for submission.

dotneko ... I don't have the test in front of me right now, but 4 was right lead canter (wrong lead, corrected) and another 6 for the left. The 8 was for the 15m canter circle.

Overall comments included observation of "moments of tension" which is pretty much this horse's only issue (unless you consider that she probably doesn't have the scope to get beyond PSG).

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and input on scoring guidelines. I wasn't the rider this time (yet) and/but I'm very excited about my Darling Chestnut Mare and her talented jockey.