The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Driving accident today

A friend and I were driving our ponies through town when hers was attacked by an English Bulldog that escaped from it's house two blocks over from where we were. The dog ran in front of her pony, jumped up and grabbed it's lip. It hung there like a tick while her pony reared and pawed and tried to get it off. Finally she shook it loose, it fell under the pony and sliced it's leg open from underneath. Rolled and came out the back end of the wagon where the owner caught it and ran back to the house.

All this time the pony was in a panic, rearing, kicking, plunging and screaming like a bull in a rodeo. They left the road, fell down in a steep ditch and up the other side, circled around a yard knocking over a huge cement bird bath and finally came to a halt with the pony turned completely backwards and one of the shafts badly bent and digging into her side.

She was pulling a little buckboard wagon, it almost tipped completely over when it hit the ditch. It's a miracle that the driver and pony came out of it mostly alright. It all happened so fast, I couldn't believe my friend stayed in the wagon. She said later she was terrified the pony would get away from her and run through the town.

Thank goodness people came running from everywhere, someone held my pony (who was a bit panicked herself at this point)
    and some others helped us get the harness and wagon off the pony. It took quite a while to get everything off of her.

We took the pony back to her barn and left the wagon with the people where it happened, who locked it up in their garage for the night. The dog's owner came over to friend's house and assured her he would pay for all the damages. Actually it was my gear she was using because her pony is so new she doesn't have her own stuff yet.

It's such a shame, this pony was turning out to be a really good little driving pony and who knows if she'll pull again. When she heals we'll have to start her training all over again. I hope she just ends up hating dogs instead of being terrified of the wagon.

2 members found this post helpful.

Jingles for all involved. It is scary just reading it. Glad the dog owner came forward and is willing to pay for the damage their dog caused.

1 members found this post helpful.

OMG, what a nightmare. Glad to hear that everyone is ok. As soon as you get a chance, I'd try hooking the pony up again. I had two accidents in my driving years - first mare wouldn't go near the cart again. Second one was hooked to someone else's vehicle an hour after accident and trotted down the road as if nothing had ever happened.

The difference between my two is that in the first one the mare and cart went together for a bunch of laps around the arena. In the second, the mare slipped on hill, vehicle and she went over in slo-mo. I had reins the whole time and she never had a chance to panic.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Oh my God! What a scary, scary thing to happen!! I'm glad it looks as if the owner of the dog is willing to step up....at least until he see's the bill. They often have second thoughts after they get the actual bill so beware. I hope you got all their information, including their homeowners insurance. I hope the pony recovers and will pull again. It's a shame if she won't....no amount of money will fix that
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Get a police report filed. You can't do anything if dog owner suddenly denies the accident. Have the police get some statements from observers if possible.

With out a formal Police report, everything is Here Say in legal activities. Horse has some scars, carriage is broken, doesn't make it the dog owner's fault without a report.

Hope to hear that pony recovers well and is able to be driven again later on. Glad your friend wasn't hurt in the wild drive.

5 members found this post helpful.

What a horrible accident, I am so sorry to hear about this. I live in an area were dogs are loose and run feral and wild, sometimes in packs. We carry Paintball guns when we go out hiking in the woods or riding around our home. I have had to shoot one dog with the paintball gun and it never came back. It hurts like the dickens (We play paintball too, so getting hit, we know all about) and bruises. The paint comes off with a simple washing. It seems to be VERY effective.

I hope the pony turns out to be ok and will overcome his terrible scare.

1 members found this post helpful.

What a horrible accident, I am so sorry to hear about this. I live in an area were dogs are loose and run feral and wild, sometimes in packs. We carry Paintball guns when we go out hiking in the woods or riding around our home. I have had to shoot one dog with the paintball gun and it never came back. It hurts like the dickens (We play paintball too, so getting hit, we know all about) and bruises. The paint comes off with a simple washing. It seems to be VERY effective.

I hope the pony turns out to be ok and will overcome his terrible scare.

Well, 24 hours later and it's much better. Although there was a lot of blood once it was cleaned up it wasn't bad and the pony didn't need stitches. The worst part is where it grabbed her mouth, and now the owner doesn't want to bit her up just yet until it heals up some.

And no one will believe this but it's true. My wagon has already been repaired. This morning the shop teacher from the high school went over and hauled the wagon over to the shop, had the kids drop everything and they put a new shaft on the wagon. It's a pretty rustic little wagon so it didn't need to be a fancy fix. I need to paint it to match but they even put primer on it for me. Charged me a whopping $20. The teacher is a horse guy and knew that the wagon is supposed to be in a parade on Saturday.

Only one strap on the harness was broken and I happened to have a spare.

I'm really glad that it wasn't my brand new Meadowbrook type easy entry cart. It would have been much harder and more expensive to repair.

I love small towns.

10 members found this post helpful.

Glad to hear everything is working out! One question: is the dog and/or the pony UTD on their rabies vaccine?

The dog is, not sure about the pony. Friend bought her one month ago from a trader and so far hasn't even gotten her papers, much less medical info. She's a nice little Welsh that was at a local sale. Amish trained her. I went by and gave her the tetnus today but hadn't thought about rabies. 8(

Wow, that's scary. Glad you got your cart fixed so quickly and glad the pony seems okay. I hope you can get her back in harness quickly - so neither she nor her owner get too anxious about the whole thing.

I never thought about dogs jumping at my pony's face! I'm used to riding and being able to spin the horse if a dog runs up. Can't do the when I'm driving. My driving pony chases the dogs, but also lets them jump on him and wander under him. If a dog ran up to him, I doubt that he would take any action to save himself until it was too late.

You folks might want to polish up your whip skills. If you have the correct length whip, you should be able to reach and hit a dog beside the animal, BEFORE dog gets to the animal. We now don't LET the loose dogs get close to the animal, by taking action to prevent dog touching equine.

Yes, we HAVE whacked a number of dogs over the years. They seldom make a second effort. One we ran over with the tire on the training cart, he had gotten in close and grabbed the horse's long tail! Dog stopped moving, while husband speeded the horse up, so dog went under the wheel!! Dog got up screaming and ran home, NEVER came out into the road again. he barked from the porch. We learned from that! Whip is IN YOUR HAND while out driving!

Sounds bad of us whacking dogs, but the public road is PUBLIC property, supposed to be safe for anyone to use in a car, walking, biking, skating, riding or driving a horse. Dog on the road in attack mode is going to get whatever it takes to make him leave us alone, as self-protection. Then we go home and call Animal Control to report an incident.

AND we DO make complaints to the Police/Animal Control when this happens. Often the Authorities need a record on dog problems, before they can take steps. So making reports is IMPORTANT to do. Think how bad you would feel if a person on a bike, walker, CHILD got attacked by that same dog and hurt badly? I seem to be fortunate in that our Animal Control reacts FAST, gets right to the dog owner and talks about the problem. My daughter got menaced by a large dog on the road, she was on her bike on the road, dog wouldn't let her pass. AC was out there within an hour, stayed a LONG time. Dog was chained up after, until they moved away.

We get a lot of walkers, bike riders, going down our road, so a dog acting like that is a problem. Few folks carry a stick while walking down the road, would be unable to defend themselves. The regular neighbor walker said she also had a problem with that dog, but "just don't walk down there anymore!" Never reported the problem!! Dog held up daughter almost an hour, and I was VERY unhappy she was so late getting home. She finally confessed the problem, but it had been happening a WEEK, now just lots worse. Dog was bolder, more menacing each day. For some reason SHE thought she was wrong in not being able to handle this herself!? Kids have convoluted thinking, and I assured her it was not HER problem, and we needed to call Animal Control. Dog barked a lot while holding her up, no one home or ever came out to come see why dog was so noisy. After that DD was "armed" with a can of wasp spray, should she meet another dog problem on her bike.

The original accident doesn't sound like whip use could have prevented the problem with a straight-ahead, face attack. Sometimes, like this, there just isn't much you can do in prevention, as it happened so fast. Whip wouldn't reach that far to get the dog.

Glad to hear the locals are helping you. PLEASE do make a report on the dog!! I can't stress this enough, because without the report, you have nothing to stand on for legal protection. And while dog "just got out once", it might happen again in the future to badly injure a weaponless person or small child as their target. Think how bad you would feel then!! Such a savage attack, unprovoked, usually means such a dog is pretty dangerous. Certainly extra measures to contain that kind of dog need to be taken to prevent a repeat attack.
    Last edited by goodhors; May. 2, 2013 at 09:00 AM.

Friend said she was going to report it to the Sheriff. The dog owner's father is AC around here. 8(

Sounds terrifying and horrific. Glad everything turned out sort of okay...minimal damage to the hardware at least.

Sounds like the pony is pretty green. Broke to drive doesn't mean bombproof. That depends on the pony and even with the best of them, requires a lot of exposure and sacking out. I second the suggestion of working on whip skills. And having a "weapon" handy.

I suggest lots of line driving in and around your town...more exposure to the world the pony will have to deal with. I think pony was provoked and nothing could have prevented his reaction...which was justified. There will always be SOMETHING out there, in his mind; best to get the handle on how to work with these situations before they go out of control.
    Ride like you mean it.

Oh, not so good with Politics involved. Make sure she reports it SOON, then checks back to MAKE SURE a report WAS filed. She should get a copy for herself, her records, in case of a long term issue developing. Pony lamed or undrivable.

Quote Originally Posted by Remudamom View Post
    Friend said she was going to report it to the Sheriff. The dog owner's father is AC around here. 8(
    Whoa, if I am reading this right, the dog owner's father is Animal Control officer? Totally unforgivable....

I agree with GH - it is imperative to "attack" dogs before they ever get the chance to get that close.

I fully believe that dogs are the #1 menace, more so than cars. I do a lot of street driving, and have been ("curiously") chased by countless dogs of all sizes - little fast ones and big slow ones like the Great Pyranese that stalked us for a half a block. Every time I drive, I see half a dozen dogs, outside, unattended and not leashed or fenced. Owners no where in sight or ear shot - and all in houses on streets.

Luckily, I have not as of yet had to use my whip, but I have had to turn my horse around to get the dogs to follow back home in some cases. Technically, it isn't my problem if some stupid irresponsible dog owner lets their animal roam free where it can be killed in the road. All the same, though, I have "brought" dogs back home and given the owners a good shouting of choice words.

I am stern believer that a dog has absolutely no right to run free and be allowed to access the street, where bikers, horses, other people walking dogs, and of course (sometimes speeding) cars & trucks exist.

I would absolutely file a police report, and I would be going after the dog owner to the fullest extent, regardless of who they are, or what they "promise" to do.

I'm so sorry that you and your friend had to experience this.

Glad everyone was ok! Scary it happened!

Dog needs to be put to sleep. Any dog attacking livestock should be killed. No excuses accepted.

Nail the hell out of the owner...vet bills, board when the pony can't be used etc.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Some girls at my barn were out trail riding when two pitbulls came trottin up and attacked the one girls horse (who is already afraid of dogs), girl came off as her horse was obviously bucking and rearing trying to get dog off, another girl got off her horse and started kickin the pit in the stomach really hard. I can't remember if the girl or horse finally gave it a good whack, but the dog went whimpering off with the female following him. Horse ran a few miles back home, where my husband and another lady caught him, riders came in later (the riderless horses rider doubled with another girl.) My husband went after the dog on foot, followed him for awhile but lost the dog eventually. Police came by, horse had to be stitched up, and I called every vet within an hour with a detailed report, because the dog was bleeding I guess (you go against a horse, you're going to get wounded) and told them to call the police.

A month later I walked past said horse with my big, unassuming Labrador, and they made friends. But he's ONLY ok with my Labrador.

Good luck, dog owners can be horrid.