The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Exclamation File a Police Report and Get Cameras Up A.S.A.P.

PLEASE do not delay one more day in finding out what is happening.

IF your horses are to blame, no loss, the police will chuckle along with you. BUT:

IF someone is messing with your animals:

1. You will not be able to analyze/predict/understand their irrational behavior using reason, logic, or by asking, "Why would someone....."

2. Zip locks, chains, etc. will become a fun little challenge, because the person does not care about opening gates specifically...they "care" about messing with your animals. They will see your padlock, and raise you something more destructive.

3. People who are disturbed in this manner escalate their behavior.

I ran a barn in a very affluent suburb. About six years ago, a teenager named Jason Messner drove his jeep through a cemetery, illegally through the town forest, and through the back of my pasture fence. He continued down a trail toward the barn, where I sassed him out and wrote down the license plate, but let him go.

He didn't mention to me about the fence down. I found out about that the next day, when I was a couple towns away and had the pleasure of receiving a call from the local police informing me that my "horses are running down Route 27 in the middle of town." Thank God no one was killed. I pressed charges, he pled guilty in court and had to pay me and the property owner a couple thousand dollars' restitution (of course Daddy paid).

Another time, I started to find almost exactly what you've described, continuing almost exactly along the lines of your description. I, too, thought it was an adult with dementia "playing" with "her" animals. All attempts, over months, to secure the barn were progressively thwarted by the intruder, another teen, who we eventually caught on camera (well, technically web cam) attacking animals. Pled guilty to a lesser charge in court. PM if you want more info. All the animals are OK, but it is my opinion that that individual probably went on to harm weaker, helpless humans (if he wasn't doing that already).

I should mention that the police weren't super excited about pursuing either of these cases, but I can be one tough old broad when it comes to people #$$%^ing with my animals.

If I'm starting to scare the crap out of you -- good.

5 members found this post helpful.

Love the zip tie idea. That or pad locks, sorry but that is a bit too much moving for me to think horses. By now you would see some damage as well I would think. And you have had these same ones for some time, from what I gathered... Creepy but I think it has to be someone messing around.

2 members found this post helpful.

Do I even have enough to file a police report on? I have made sure I have been documenting every strange event but I hardly doubt our law enforcement would be willing to listen to any of it.

I’m taking this very serious, I would rather laugh if I find out it’s the horses than assume it’s them and have something horrible happen. For the last three nights I have been putting them in, just not worth the risk. I also have had my retired neighbor keeping an eye out for anything strange.

Thanks for all the ideas & I will put some of these in place this weekend. Hopefully we get our cameras soon, I hate keeping the horses in when the nights have been so nice here.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know if there's an official threshold for filing a report, but I'd probably wait until I had something more definitely human-- clipped chain or wire ties or camera evidence. But, you can always just talk to the police without filing a report-- just let them know what's going on and what you're doing with the cameras. Kinda like calling your vet in the afternoon about a horse that's NQR but probably fine, just to give him/her a heads up that you're on colic watch.

You never know--maybe nothing more happens on your farm, but some farm 4 miles away starts going through the exact same thing. The prior report from you could help that other farm.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

Quote Originally Posted by jenbrin View Post
    Do I even have enough to file a police report on?
    Trespassing. Damage to property (badly twisted hinge on gate).

You want to CYA if this turns out to be a person who is injured by one of your animals (and the fact that they were trespassing/messing with your animals without permission will NOT protect you from a lawsuit), or if one of your animals gets out on the road and causes a (human) fatal accident. Your homeowner's insurance company is going to say, "You knew this was going on for weeks, and you didn't report it to the police?"

Well, I've said what I have to say. Good luck, let us know what you find...

Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    Trespassing. Damage to property (badly twisted hinge on gate).

You want to CYA if this turns out to be a person who is injured by one of your animals (and the fact that they were trespassing/messing with your animals without permission will NOT protect you from a lawsuit), or if one of your animals gets out on the road and causes a (human) fatal accident. Your homeowner's insurance company is going to say, "You knew this was going on for weeks, and you didn't report it to the police?"

Well, I've said what I have to say. Good luck, let us know what you find...
    This. Better to be safe than sorry.