The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Joint supplement for my jumper?

I am looking for a new joing supplement for my jumper. Right now, he is getting Legacy pellets because he was coming off a year of slow riding and pasture pleasure. He had a couple vet issues that caused us to stop in our tracks for about a year. I decided to keep him on a joint supplement because it does seem to help him, but we are now back to work 2x to 3x per week, and we are starting to jump again. Of course, we are taking it slowly! We have been working back to being able to jump again for a while, so this makes me happy, happy, happy!!

Legacy is supposed to be for the senior horse, which I am assuming is for horses on light work. I feel like I should start giving him something stronger(?) but I also want cost effective.

I just moved so I don't have a vet yet, but I am pretty good at judging him. He is a 16.2ish-hh, QH, that is very stockily built. He had a rough life before me and has been through the ringer of disciplines (including being a PRCA bronc and a head horse.. He is only 11. ).

I just want to make sure I take every step to make sure he is feeling good, and I don't know if I should switch supplements or not! Also, powder, liquid, pellets? THERE ARE SO MANY!

I prefer pellets to powder. My horse seems to leave any powder at the bottom of his feed, but he eats the pellets right up. As far as supplements go, I used Smartflex IV Ultimate pellets for awhile.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartf...ets-8293p.aspx

They worked decently well but what made the most difference in him was Adequan. He gets a little stiff if I don't ride everyday and the Adequan really cuts down on the time it takes for him to warm up out of it. If you don't mind giving him an IM shot yourself, I would highly recommend it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would look into Acti-flex 4000. Have been using it on my mare, more as a preventative measure, and I've been very happy with it. I'm especially happy that my finicky, powder sifting mare eats it. And it doesn't hurt that it smells like piƱa coladas

http://www.coxvetlab.com/products/acti-flex4000.htm

I've had my mare on the SmartFlex III for a few years now and it is by and far the best supplement for the money I've found. She is much more comfortable and moves better when she is on it. She's a stocky paint with some joint issues so I've had her on joint supplements since I first got her, this one has worked the best for her.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

We use Acti-flex 4000 liquid. I buy it by the gallon and get a quart free from Big Dee's Vet Supply. With shipping it's under $100 for 5 months supply for one horse. That works out to around $20/month/horse. The Acti-flex 4000 liquid works better than any other supplement we have tried including Recovery EQ, Cosequin, Senior Flex and Conquer gel.
    Horsezee

I have my mare on smartpak III resilience pellets. We just switched from adequan in pellet form and I think she feels better on the smartpak III.

mypaintwattie - are you giving the smartpak III in addition to adequan or some other joint supplement or just by itself? Adequan and SPIII were pricey together so I figured I would try SPIII alone and see how we are doing. So far so good, but I'm hoping that will be enough.

My horse has some stifle issues and I am really happy with Platinum Performance CJ. My vet suggested it and a few other people at barn use it and are happy with it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemess View Post
    My horse has some stifle issues and I am really happy with Platinum Performance CJ. My vet suggested it and a few other people at barn use it and are happy with it as well.
    THIS.

I have a friend that is an equine vet and also competes in national level Reining. Both of her horses are on Platinum Performance CJ, it's the only thing she recommends.

My two tbs are both a little stiff coming off the move and winter. I ordered a sample pack from Platinum (their customer service is amazing, right up there with SmartPak). I tried to get the picky mare to eat it and she wouldn't, so I fed it to the gelding (16h3, 13yo, OTTB, training level eventer, coming off a suspensory a year ago). The difference was seriously night and day. 5 days on that stuff and he was his spunky self. Big floaty trot in the pasture AND under saddle.

I can not recommend getting a sample pack from them enough. Give it a try!
    (no I don't work for Platinum, but I wish I did so I could get a discount- lol)
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

I'm also a smartpak brand fan! My jumper is on SmartFlex Rehab right now which is a step up from their resilience supplement. My guy got diagnosed with a tendon last fall and this stuff has made a world of difference and I don't plan on switching for a while! I really like that it has a higher dose of supplements for his tendons and ligaments being a jumper and all.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartf...ets-9820p.aspx

I have to say with the SmartPak brand, no matter what formula you use, I always feel you get more bang for your buck and I have never tried anything they make that I dislike!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by countrcanter View Post
    mypaintwattie - are you giving the smartpak III in addition to adequan or some other joint supplement or just by itself? Adequan and SPIII were pricey together so I figured I would try SPIII alone and see how we are doing. So far so good, but I'm hoping that will be enough.
    No, she only gets the oral supplement. I do notice a difference when she is on it and when she goes awhile without it.

FWIW I have given the Platinum Performance CJ in the past, I just couldn't afford it so I switched to the SmartFlex III and didn't notice any difference. I love the regular Platinum, but the CJ is out of my budget and I have the same results with the SmartFlex.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010