The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default where do they sell squirrel size traps?

Mr Chippy came in to play with the kitty, now he does not want to go home....

I thought one of the stores around her had those life traps, but no dice. I think a rabbit size one would be overkill...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Sigh. As I was sitting here I saw a squirrel on my front side walk. GRrrr. Somebody, squirrel or rabbit has eaten every one of the 72 zinnia plants (from seed) I have planted. Saw 2 rabbits in the back yard yesterday evening. Hope the owls, foxes, or whomever gets those critters. I have ground hogs, saw 3-4, and set a trap only to get a possum-epm maker in my trap. Saw the fox family with their kits, so at least somebody is on critter duty. It is like the outback here. I am on the war path. I love my foxes.

Caught the possum on horse feed, and fresh strawberries. I put one strawberry on the outside and more inside. I wanted whomever to sample the gourmet goods, and want more. And they did. Once this one is gone, I will reset my trap. My regret will be if I get a skunk. I hate dealing with skunks.

Squirrel traps. Yes, there are traps. I think they are the 9" tall traps. You have to be very clever to get them. I would suggest using the trap they sell in the combo pack at TSC. There is a small one they have, it is green. You get a small one and a larger one.

For bait you can use peanuts. Also you can use a pelleted sweet feed horse feed, something sweet and aromatic. You will have to put the feed at the back of the trap. I usually put the feed on the ground and the trap on top of it, make sure the trap doesn't tip. I will put those white stick in fence posts on each side and the back of the trap. Then you need to make a super information food highway to the back of the trap. Dribble it in the front, down the pathway, and to the back. They like to sample the goods before going in. The trap will have to be there for quite some time. I found it tough to catch the fox squirrel. Like rats they have to get used to the cage for some time. You want the food it likes to eat. You may have to set some food out to see what it likes. They are tricky by far to catch. Good luck.

Up here in N. AL spring has sprung. Too many critters.

Tractor Supply sells traps in all kinds of sizes.

Do you have any kind of upscale pet supply place around you? I know that in our neighborhood, Braxton's will rent out different sized have a heart traps. Used one when a pet rat decided living in the floorboards was better than the cage.

TSC didn't have anything trap wise....

Now I own a smallish 'Have-a-heart' currently sitting in my hallway, baited with peanutbutter and raisins....but I don't know where Mr Chippy is right now...if he hadn't already croaked. He looked a bit rough this morning.....

The trap is just small enough to maybe not attract the cats in....

and I KNOW they used to sell wire mesh mouse/rat traps! would have been all I needed, but noooooooooooooooo, when Alagirl needs something, they took it off the shelves yesterday!
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

stupid chipmunk...still in the house (and I have enough 'cat doors' to make my energy bill wince and howl!)

tripped the trap twice....nothing.

I am tempted to put out food and water for him now....since he is determin to become my 7th pet....