The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Internet uban legend: Stacy Westfall video with phony backstory

Has anyone else seen this being passed around Facebook? It's Stacy Westfall's famous bareback/bridleless ride on Babydoll from a few years back. It's being sent around with the story that the Stacy (who is never actually named) is blind and deaf and the horse had only 3 weeks of training! I can't decide if that's seriously funny (because who would believe that?!) or kind of sad/offensive because someone took a professional trainer and labeled them like that.

1 members found this post helpful.

! ! That's hilarious!
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Doesn't surprise me in the least. I got just about every one of those Boston Marathon fake stories shared on my Fb. As if the real events weren't tragic enough.
    No idea why people do things like this.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I have non-horsey family that tag me in that video all the time. Finally I wrote to all of them saying, "It's a great video and very inspiring.. But I just want to point out that is Stacey Westfall, and she is a highly reguarded professional in the reining industry.. Who is neither blind nor deaf (as you can see her talking to someone at the in gate), and she had that horse for a lot longer than three weeks! But again, she is a wonderful rider.. not to take away anything!".

Non-horsey people..

Almost everything that gets passed around FB is pure BS.

2 members found this post helpful.

I saw that passed around by so many people, including some horse people! When I finally had enough and responded to one of the HORSE PEOPLE who posted it, politely saying she wasn't blind or deaf and the horse had been in training for quite some time and oh she got mad at me!
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

I just saw it posted by a girl who rides at my barn. How could anyone, especially someone who rides, believe that a person who is blind and deaf could ride like that?

What, you mean that if you type it on the interwebz, it does not become true??!

The version I saw also said the ride was a tribute to her Dad who had recently passed away. Who knows why people make stuff up? It seemed like it was awesome enough without literary license.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    The version I saw also said the ride was a tribute to her Dad who had recently passed away. Who knows why people make stuff up? It seemed like it was awesome enough without literary license.

That part is actually true. Her ride at the 2006 Congress was just a few weeks after her dad passed away. If you look up the video on YouTube you can hear the announcer explaining it as she walks in the arena.

6 members found this post helpful.

Why do people have to add drama? That ride stands alone. It doesn't need some outrageous backstory to make it amazing. I've seen the vid passed around FB with the whole "she's blind and deaf!" lie, and frankly, I'm just disgusted. I guess great riders/trainers and quality rides just aren't enough for some folks.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Stacy herself addressed the false stories on her website. I think she was actually amused by them. She said something like she wished she was deaf when her kids were screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeBreeze View Post
    I saw that passed around by so many people, including some horse people! When I finally had enough and responded to one of the HORSE PEOPLE who posted it, politely saying she wasn't blind or deaf and the horse had been in training for quite some time and oh she got mad at me!
    I had the same experience. Horse people who should know better posting it. When I pointed out the facts their response was they thought it was a great performance and wanted to share. Just so ill advised. People already have so many misconceptions about horses why add to them? Go to youTube and find a version of the video that doesn't have that myth attached to it then!

Ohhhh my gosh, I get so incensed when perfectly rational (so I thought) people re-post stuff like that without doing a mere moment of fact-checking first-- and then get mad at ME for pointing out the crap!!!!
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Ugh this showed up on my feed a bunch of times and I grumpily righted everyone.