The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle with no serial number?

Hello hello.

So I acquired one of the infamous Toulouse Marielle Monoflap's a few months ago, mainly because I got a really good deal on it and thought I'd give it a try... but long story short, I hate it. I listed it for sale on the internet and got an inquiry about the serial number on it, and when I went to look for it, it is nowhere to be found. I literally cannot find a serial number anywhere on the whole dang thing.

For anyone who owns this saddle... does yours have a serial number? I'm starting to get a little panicky over here thinking something fishy might be going on...

The serial number was probably on the billet guard. I say this based on having seen plenty of used Toulouses in my life that had the serials on the billet guard--and having seen a whole stack of Toulouse billet guards at Equine Affaire, being sold as replacement billet guards. They all had serial numbers on them. (Yes, the same vendor was selling a wide variety of Toulouse saddles. And this is a vendor I've seen at Equine Affaire at least three years running. So while this was IMO a very stupid thing to do because it causes situations like the one you're describing, it was probably not a fishy thing.)

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    The serial number was probably on the billet guard. I say this based on having seen plenty of used Toulouses in my life that had the serials on the billet guard--and having seen a whole stack of Toulouse billet guards at Equine Affaire, being sold as replacement billet guards. They all had serial numbers on them. (Yes, the same vendor was selling a wide variety of Toulouse saddles. And this is a vendor I've seen at Equine Affaire at least three years running. So while this was IMO a very stupid thing to do because it causes situations like the one you're describing, it was probably not a fishy thing.)
    It's a monoflap saddle though, so there really is no billet guard... the billets just come out the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by dappled View Post
    It's a monoflap saddle though, so there really is no billet guard... the billets just come out the bottom.
    My point is that a company whose design department thought it was a great idea to put serial numbers on billet guards is probably a company that put the Marielle's serial in an equally disposable, non-useful location.

Another annoying thing: when it comes to Toulouse, various runs of the same saddle--from various vintages--will be slightly different. So it's possible that some Marielles will have serial numbers in a smarter location (like engraved on the flap!), but that doesn't automatically mean yours is a victim of funny business.

Check under the jockey - some monoflap saddles have the serial number there. Other possible locations would be on stirrup bar, on the saddle plate or under the flap, toward the bottom. Some monoflaps (Black Country comes to mind) stamp their monoflaps on the outside of the near flap.

Thanks for your help, guys! I have finally found an answer.

As it turns out, the Marielles don't have serial numbers! They're not stamped at all. I called the company today and had a talk with a representative who informed me as such.