The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoroughbred Saddlery Event Saddle?

Has anyone heard of these saddles? Anyone use one? I can't find much information online, other than they no longer exist, and they were based in Walsall, England. Under the flap it says it is an Event Saddle with a Spring tree. Is an event saddle the same as an all purpose saddle? And what exactly is a spring tree? Thanks!

I have a very old Thoroughbred dressage saddle. For some reason I think the event saddle was similar to the Ainsley saddle that had the very forward flap (the Ainsley chester perhaps?)

I had a Thoroughbred AP saddle. It was a really nice, high quality saddle. I sold it because it didn't fit my horse, but I was sad to let it go.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Another thought on this. I always felt that the Thoroughbred saddles looked just like the Lucinda Greens that I think came out a little later. Maybe someone else would know more about that and be able to explain the spring tree.

The Thoroughbred saddles were the Lucinda Green saddles. I have a Thoroughbred Lucinda Green AP that must be about 18 years old now.

It's an odd saddle in terms of fit -- it easily puts you in a chair seat -- but I've had a number of horses on which it works well, especially for trails and hunting. I still use mine quite often.

I had one and I loved it and used it for years. I sold it on a few years ago, still in beautiful condition (had replaced knee rolls and billets due to the fact that it was just old). I got it used in 1993 and I used it till 2007. It was a super secure saddle and I was sad to part with it but the name, thoroughbred does describe the types of horses it fits and at that point in time I was riding Arabians.

Edited to add: It was an AP style saddle, but much more functional for jumping than the APs of today.

The term spring tree was tossed around a lot in the 90s but have been made somewhat obsolete by the interchangeable tree saddles. The wood on the tree is much thinner and lighter than a standard rigid wooden tree but it is lined with metal. This allows it a SMALL amount of flexibility (about 2cm) which allows a little fudging in saddle fit. They'll probably fit a wider variety of horses than they measure for, but your medium narrow isn't going to fit your mutton withered draft/arabian.

Unfortunately I was using this saddle before the advent of digital photos and I can't find much that shows the saddle in detail. Here's the lone throwback I can locate.
    Last edited by JWB; May. 1, 2013 at 09:54 AM.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Here's the only picture I can find with that saddle (3 years ago): https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n..._7289229_n.jpg
    We usually ride in our dressage saddle, or a cheapy craigslist Wintec, but I decided to pull this one out again. It seems to fit him okay. Definitely puts me in a chair seat if I'm not thinking about it. I actually found this saddle in a garden shed at the farm...it cleaned up nice after I got rid of all the dust/spider webs, and it's still structurally sound.

I have one sitting in my tack room. I haven't used it in years as I pretty much ride dressage now. It's a nice saddle; mine fits a wider horse quite nicely.

Thank you JER! I have said that from time to time and had people tell me no! Mine does not say Lucinda Green on it anywhere, but I also think it is older, perhaps some were made before they started putting her name on it. Otherwise it is exactly like the Lucinda Green dressage saddles.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    The Thoroughbred saddles were the Lucinda Green saddles. I have a Thoroughbred Lucinda Green AP that must be about 18 years old now.

It's an odd saddle in terms of fit -- it easily puts you in a chair seat -- but I've had a number of horses on which it works well, especially for trails and hunting. I still use mine quite often.