The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Laminitis Scare.....how soon???

I live in the PNW where the spring grass is deadly. I have several horses and two mini-donkeys. One mare is an 13 year old paint that I have owned for 10 years. Every spring I gradually introduce all of them to grass and increasing 5 minutes a day for several weeks. I was about two weeks into the introduction when the mare in question had a laminitis scare. She came in and over the afternoon both me and DH noticed that she was laying down more than usual. At dinner time I noticed that she did not want to move over for me to enter her stall. When I checked her feet sure enough they were warm. Immediatley cold hosed her feet, gave bute and called the vet. Thankfully the next morning she was fine and we seem to have dodged the laminitis bullet. I have instructions from my vet for the rest of the week but forgot to ask about when the mare can be introduced to grass again. I do have a call into him and am waiting for his return call.

Curious to how long she should stay off grass and then be slowly introduced again? I am thinking of waiting at least a month and to then turn her out with a muzzle. Again, I have had this mare 10 years and she has never had any issues with grass or laminitis. She is not fat and currently only gets hay as she is a pasture pet.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

No more free grazing. Possibly EVER. Muzzle only. Soak all her hay and google Dr. Eleanor Kellon. Follow her laminitis protocol to the "T". Be very careful...this is a slippery slope and needs careful management.
    Good luck!

Default www.safergrass.org

read the articles and info on www.safergrass.org

once a horse has been affected...it may NEVER be the same and be able to have free choice grass.

Default Jingles & AO for your mare ~

Jingles & AO for your mare ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"