The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Drawing of Stephen Bradley and Leyland

Hello!

Some of you may remember me from a previous thread here about a piece of artwork I was doing of Phillip Dutton and Connaught. I finished that piece, although I have yet to mail it to him, I need to get a print made and just haven't gotten around to it.

Anyway, there is an upcoming art show at my high school, and rather than show just class projects, I wanted to put something up that was really me and what I love, which art-wise, is the pencil medium, and non-art wise, horses and riding of course.

COTH has beautiful photos, and I knew I wanted to do another XC reference, I love the feel of action and I think the impact is so much greater than that of just a hunter/eq/SJ photo. So I went through the pages and waited for one to jump out at me, which the photo below of Stephen Bradley and Leyland did just that!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/sites/de...CIthreeweb.jpg

It's not traced at all, used only as a reference. It's about 28 hours of work, all in mechanical pencil (0.7 lead), and it's 14 x 17 inches. Link to the finished piece below! Critiques are welcomed if anyone would like to!

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...-d63ma9n.png?4

2 members found this post helpful.

That's wonderful!

Now you gotta do one of Andrew Nicholson looking so nonchalant on Quimbo

Lovely....If you can add the flags or something to tie the two that would be my only initial reaction. I think the horse and rider are FANTASTIC and the jump well done but they feel like two separate things kind of floating there. I'd want somthing in the background or with the jump pulling it all together if that makes sense?

But very nice job!!!!

ETA: It actually looks perfect for some mixed media to add too it.....
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow. That is gorgeous.

You have some serious talent!

What?!? You are only in high school??

Holy !bleep! you have talent.

Wow! This is so great!

I work for Stephen and am going to send him a link to this thread so he can check it out!

Margaret
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

That is great ! AN and The Mighty Quim would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Lovely....If you can add the flags or something to tie the two that would be my only initial reaction. I think the horse and rider are FANTASTIC and the jump well done but they feel like two separate things kind of floating there. I'd want somthing in the background or with the jump pulling it all together if that makes sense?

But very nice job!!!!

ETA: It actually looks perfect for some mixed media to add too it.....
    AP art teacher here...Very nice drawing. I agree with bornfree...you need to tie it all together somehow. Remember your Principles of Design and strive for unity by connecting the two separate objects. As it stands you have two different focal points or areas of interest. You always want to think of composition even with drawings. You want the horse and rider to draw all your attention with the jump being secondary. It won't take much.

I would also add more contrast. Contrast in a pencil drawing is of prime importance and will take a nice drawing to spectacular. Don't be afraid to push your darks. For instance, his boot almost disappears.

You have great talent and this is on the way to being an outstanding drawing..keep up the good work.

6 members found this post helpful.

The artwork itself is fantastic, stunning. But watch your proportions if you ever want it to be an accurate representation of a visual photo vs interpretive. And the rider (in this case) would need to be more masculine in the drawing, again the proportions. Which for the purposes of the art show is unimportant and you did say that you went looking at photos for inspiration. Just a tip for that someday when you get commissioned!! and soon!

Very lovely. I wouldn't change a thing, but I think there are some things I'd encourage you to consider for your next project.

One of the things that probably attracted you to the photo as something that looked good to draw was it's lighting and the value contrasts it creates. (Representational art is all about capturing the light!) The dark darks and the light highlights give the photo a snap that enhances the excitement of the moment captured. Squint your eyes and you can really see how very dark the value is behind his elbow, under his belly, on the side of the horses face, under his tail, under the riders bottom and the riders belly. If you will find these dark places and concentrate on the shapes they make and really get them in darkly (you might need to change out to a softer lead) it will make your middle values just sing. Then you can really use your highlighted shapes to describe form.

The other thing I noticed is that you've elongated the legs, but since you did it on both the rider and the horse it looks like stylist choice and not an error. I like the feel it gives--almost like an old equestrian painting but more modern.

Good job!

Okay, well, if you want a little more suggestions, I would say that this drawing captures the airiness and freedom of flight that elite eventing demonstrates.

What it's lacking is the grit and the sweat of the athlete. For example, I don't see the tension in Stephen's hamstrings and quadriceps that are bracing him over the jump. Same with the horse.

If you have a chance, see if you can participate in a necropsy with your vet sometime. Even ask someone if you can help them field dress a deer in the fall. Really get an idea of what's lying underneath the surface and how form influences function.

I sat in on a biological illustration class this semester and it was a blast - if you have a chance to take such a class, I highly recommend it.

Oh I don't know- I am not anything artistic but I LOVE it. Beautiful...

HIGHSCHOOL??? Holy Goodness!
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

Artist/graphic designer here too... nice job! I think that if you look back and forth between the source and the drawing, you can clearly see that the proportions are not realistic. (The jump, for example, has gotten much longer from the face to the back.) I'm not sure if you meant to do that or not (hope so!) but I kind of like how it takes the real thing (which is pretty amazing, but it is a photo) and gives it a feeling of being superhuman (or, I guess, superequine!) At the same time, the horse's legs have become sort of attenuated and fragile looking - which again is not what the photo shows, but it is metaphorically kind of cool!

I totally agree with subk about the areas of light and dark. Your darkest darks are really hovering around the halfway mark, which makes the whole thing feel a little flatter than it really is. If the horse and rider were a statue made of white marble, I think there would still be areas darker than you represent them. You obviously are a graphite rockstar, so dig out those deeper grays and black and make it even more monumental than it is. ;-)

For me, the lack of context (the ground... a background... etc - the little zigzag of grass doesn't count) makes it feel a little comic-bookish. They could be floating in space, in a parallel dimension, on planet Krypton.... which again, could be cool if you want it that way. I think a lot of young artists focus on realism and getting the details of something exactly right - and that can be good, but it tends to lead to really highly rendered subjects floating in a vacuum. If you intentionally decide to let SB and Leyland float in the ether as an artistic statement, that's fine... but otherwise you might want to work on adding some earth... even the brush at the back of the jump would help make this a composition rather than two well-drawn floating things.

Are you planning to go to art school/study art, or is this a hobby?
    Last edited by outside__line; May. 1, 2013 at 07:18 PM.

Stunning. I actually like this more than the original due to the lengthening of the legs.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

The technique is amazing but my first thought when I looked at your drawing was "wow, that's a humongous horse!" and then "that rider has really skinny legs."

But those are just details, I think you have a real eye and talent to be able to draw like that free hand!! I bet it's only going to get better and better!
    Thanks for sharing your talent, can we see the first one you did of Dutton?
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    The technique is amazing but my first thought when I looked at your drawing was "wow, that's a humongous horse!" and then "that rider has really skinny legs."

But those are just details, I think you have a real eye and talent to be able to draw like that free hand!! I bet it's only going to get better and better!
    Thanks for sharing your talent, can we see the first one you did of Dutton?
    This was the thread. I would love to see the finished though!
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ight=Connaught
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.