The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about splints

My guy has a splint in the front. It has been there since I got him but was small. It seems to have gotten bigger over night. Not painful at all, no swelling, no heat but just the lump is larger than it was. What would cause this? Has anyone seen this happen before?
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

The only thing I can think of is that he injured it further. Because there is the potential for interference with other essential lower-limb structures when the splint bone is injured, I would have your vet come take a look. That way you have a definitive answer: either you need to do something about it, or you don't need to worry about it at all.

I wouldn't go off of the lack of apparent pain, we have had horses injure themselves rather badly (blow out check ligament, etc.) and never present lame, rather, we noticed some swelling and decided to ultrasound.

Best of luck, injuries like this are always frustrating!

Oh yes, I am having the vet out to take a look. It was just weird and was wondering if anyone has had experience with this. It's not getting longer or wider it's just poking out more. Feels very solid so idk. Probably going to xray first and go from there. If I need to go further I'm gonna take him to the university here and ultrasound or possibly MRI since they have a new machine there. Would it be better to MRI the area or ultrasound?
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole