The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Odd Behavior - Stress?

So, we adopted our 6yo Cocker, Max back in, ohhh, January? Have had no real issues, no messes in the house, no chewing, no excessive barking, he seems pretty at home. But, he does a few odd things. He's not much for sitting on the couch or in a chair or on your lap, but will occasionally - the weird thing is he chooses to lay *behind* the two recliners, between them and the wall. Rather antisocial-like. This isn't a problem, just find it odd. The problem behavior is he will sit on his butt and just dig-dig-dig at the carpet ferociously with his front paws and sometimes it's hard to snap him 'out of the zone' if we catch him doing it. Mostly it's at night, and he prefers to do it on the rug in the bathroom, which is a big problem because someone is going to trip and hurt themselves. Keeping the door closed is not an option, nor really is pulling up the mat permanently. Would this be some sort of nesting behavior, or like a mild OCD thing? Do you think if we gave him a small blanket on the floor he might like ruffling that up instead?
    Quarry Rat

If he lays on it after digging at it, I would say he is just making it more comfortable. Kind of like a human fluffing a pillow before laying down.

Are there are loose rugs in other parts of the house that he ignores? Is there anything about that particular rug, in that particular room that he could be reacting to? I know you can't close the door or take up the rug, but could you put a baby gate up to keep him out of the bathroom and away from that rug? The gates available now are soooo much easier to use than the old fashioned type.

As for preferring to lay between the recliner and the wall, maybe he likes the enclosed space? Dogs do like the feeling of a "den", and that spot might be his "den".
    Sheilah

It's not that it's a rug or even that particular rug. He will also do it in a corner in the living room or in the corner in my room (he sleeps in my room with me) and both are just plain old carpeted, and he does not lay where he digs, he goes somewhere else. He has access to his kennel with a blanket but chooses not to go in there, flat out cried like he was being murdered when we tried to have him sleep in it, thus he gets to sleep with me. I figure, he's an old guy that had it a bit rough, I can share the bed Baby gate is a good idea, but Mom has mobility issues, so unfortunately a no-go. He came from a foster with a lot of dogs and VERY MUCH prefers to be a lone dog, which is why I wonder if maybe it isn't a leftover stress type thing. Will find a blanket and put it behind the recliners and see if he likes that.
    Quarry Rat