The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2013 Longines Kentucky Oaks 139th edition : field of 11 go to post Friday 5/3

Live on TV - NBC SportsNetwork starting at 5pm EST

Longines Kentucky Oaks
    $1 million; 1 1/8 miles; Grade 1

Swiss watchmaker Longines becomes the new multi-year title sponsor. Longines also has as part of the new agreement become the Official Timekeeper of Churchill Downs racetrack.

Post, Horse, Jockey, Morning-line odds
    1. Silsita, G.Stevens, 20-1
    2. Midnight Lucky, R.Bejarano, 9-2
    3. Beholder, G.Gomez, 7-2
    4. Unlimited Budget, J.Castellano, 7-2
    5. Seaneen Girl, R.Napravnik, 20-1
    6. Princess of Sylmar, M.Smith, 20-1
    7. Pure Fun, J.Leparoux, 30-1
    8. Dreaming of Julia, J.Velazquez, 3-1
    9. Rose to Gold, C.Borel, 15-1
    10. Flashy Gray, J.Alvarado, 15-1
    11. Close Hatches, J.Rosario, 6-1

Track odds by Mike Battaglia
    Post time: Friday, 5:45 p.m. Eastern
    All starters carry 121 pounds
    If anyone thinks Dreaming of Julia will go off at a fat 3/1 odds post time I've got a bridge for you Even money or less, despite JV only expected to return riding tomorrow from his injuries ... look out for Joel though as he's white hot and could hit the board even with a three-legged mule

Truthfully I am looking forward to this race more than the Derby. There are some uber talented fillies here and to see them all go head to head will be a race for the ages. Dreaming of Julia at 3-1? Sure.

I'm happy to put some money on Rose to Gold simply because of her story! Add to that Calvin's still very high on her:

"It's a very good field this year," Borel said of the Oaks. "I think it's as good as the Derby. But she is doing so great. I can't believe I'm saying she's doing better than Oaklawn, because she ran two bang-up races out there, but I believe she is. She's a very nice filly. Don't underestimate her."
    Video (without audio) of Rose to Gold's Apr 20th workout

Dreaming of Julia, as folks recall, crushed a small field in the Gulfstream Park Oaks Mar 30th

That was a 21 3/4-length victory.

1 members found this post helpful.

Two words - Midnight Lucky
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Should be a great race to watch.

And now just 10-horses going to post ...

A bruised foot takes out West Point Thoroughbred's PP.10. Flashy Gray, J.Alvarado, 15-1

Mott said the bruise was detected following the filly’s Wednesday morning gallop.

“During her gallop I noticed she wasn’t into the bridle, she wasn’t skipping across the ground like she had been,” Mott said. “It looks like she bruised the inside quarter of her right front foot, on the bulb of the heel.

“It’s possible she may be completely sound by Oaks Day, she may not be. I spoke with the connections, and given the significance of the race and the entire situation we didn’t want to risk having an issue.”

I like this field a lot more than the Derby. I'm hoping Close Hatches will sneak out a win.
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

I will be cheering for Beholder due to the horse family connection to mine..but I think that this is going to be a hard one for her to win, there are so many talented fillies in here.

rumor has it that flashy gray will scratch tomorrow due to a bruised foot.

I will be cheering wildly for longshot Seaneen Girl since her baby sister is currently staring at me through my bedroom window.

Quote Originally Posted by jennywho View Post
    rumor has it that flashy gray will scratch tomorrow due to a bruised foot.

I will be cheering wildly for longshot Seaneen Girl since her baby sister is currently staring at me through my bedroom window.
    It's not a rumor. She scratched yesterday.

ESPN/Gary West 5/2/13: "Derby is big day, Oaks the big race"

"Some fillies in Kentucky Oaks would give Derby contenders run for their money"

excerpt

Many observers would even go so far as to suggest the best 3-year-old running this week in America won't be racing in the Kentucky Derby, but rather in the Oaks. And certainly the best story here this week, the tale that's the odds-on favorite to grab people by their shirt-collars and demand their attention, if not also their fascination, involves a diminutive Oaks filly named Rose To Gold.

"This is the best Oaks I've ever seen," Baffert said, "the most competitive one that I've ever been in. There are some really fast fillies in here."

"Four or five of these fillies," said Bill Mott, the Hall of Fame trainer of Close Hatches, "would be favored in almost any other year. It's a great Oaks."
    Probably the best story ...

And then there's Rose To Gold. She was purchased for $1,400 to be pinhooked -- that is for the purpose of turning a quick profit in resale. But nobody would buy her, explained Raffaele Centofanti, one of her owners. Nobody wanted her, not even an exercise rider who turned her down in lieu of payment.

She turns no heads in the mornings when she goes to the racetrack. She's light, smallish, unprepossessing. But she's pure racehorse and loves to run. This $1,400 purchase that nobody wanted has earned $717,889 while winning five of her six races. Her only poor performance came on the synthetic surface at Keeneland.

She's all heart, little Rose. I'd like to see her triumph today.

Nancy

Although note that while horse and rider look "ok" - Julien Leparoux was tossed off at the start of the 7th at Churchill Downs. You never know if some soreness will effect his rides for the rest of the day.

He's riding from PP 7 "Pure Fun" in the Oaks.

Saez got tossed before the fifth! The atmosphere is clearly 'impressive' for some of the horses. Must be a tough two days of work at Churchill for the jockeys.

Mike Smith's mount goes off at 38-1 in the money race???? WTH is wrong with the betting public?

Never saw that finish playing out in my head.

Second longest price in the history of the Kentucky Oaks @ 38-1

Winner: #6. Princess of Sylmar with Mike Smith up

With #3 Beholder taking 2nd and Unlimited Budget 3rd

Princess of Sylmar, pays $79.60, 29.40, 14.00.
    6-3 $2 Exacta pays $727.00

The Oaks/Derby Double will pay a minimum of $600 plus, and a max of $6000 plus...!

It was fun to hear Mike Smith so happy to have won the Oaks. And the owners to give a shout out to the farm where she was raised, and for whom she was named after.

But it was distressing to see Calvin cut his horse so sharply, causing the struggle at the gate with Dreaming of Julia and McPeek's horse. Hope he doesn't do that tomorrow...
    Last edited by CVPeg; May. 3, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Hope the Derby goes better for me than the Oaks
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Where do we see a re-play?
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies