The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default The Post-Rolex thread - what did you buy, who did you meet . . .

I'm suffering from post-party depression (or maybe the knowledge that a cold Kentucky Ale is a whole year away).

So what did everyone buy and who did you get to meet? I totally missed the EN tailgate spot (Crap!), would've loved to meet some more COTHers and ENers. But I crashed Judybigredpony's tent for a while, and had a fantastic impromptu lunch with Riderboy and Gryhrs on Friday.

Bought a spiffy new Kan-teq vest which I'm thrilled about, though it will be an adjustment after existing in a Tipp for so long. The Rolex shop sucked *ss this year and was already out of high demand sizes by Friday afternoon. I did score a zip-up fleece Rolex jacket which I wore all weekend and love.

Sorry Deltawave, didn't see any dog ropes for sale or I would've scooped one up for you (isn't that what you asked for a few threads ago?)

Edited to add: Total brain fart, Pegasusmom, I saw you too (looking all official with your big red flag )
    Last edited by ACMEeventing; Apr. 30, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

I got fitted for the new Tipperary vest and was very impressed! I had the model before and this one felt like it was custom made. Definitely saving to buy one when they release them this summer!

I've never gone after autographs at Rolex before (not a fan of waiting in line) but I was lucky enough to catch Boyd, Allison, Sinead, and Erin Sylvester this weekend and I was very happy to have met all of them!
    "Lord if we should fall, my horse and I, please pick my horse up first."

www.thestartbox.wordpress.com
    www.useaiv.org

We met ACME for lunch! Great to see her again and do a little shopping, I bought a new CO vest, Kantec is NOT available for menfolk it seems. We also met bizbachfan on the XC course, although I didn't know it was her at the time. I'm sure the place was crawling with COTHers going unrecognized.

I know perhaps we should wear our COTH nametags
    My niece collects signatures on a Rolex hat she has had for years. She actually had to get some re-signs as they had faded. She got Buck and Phillip Dutton (again) and Also Mary King and Bruce Davidson, Beth Perkins and a bunch of others. I was lucky enough to run into WFP and Mary King at the airport. I bought a pair of Dublin boots (didn't spring for the Dubarry's.) My sister put in an order for Der Dau's, they were actually on sale for a good price. Everyone was very nice.

I met a friend of a friend from Colorado - she flew in with her husband for her first Rolex. A birthday present for her from him!! She's a mom with two young boys and this was her dream. YEA!! HUBBY She couldn't believe she was there
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

New leather halter with nameplate for Feral/Fun/Friendly/Fancy Fred, Dark Horse Chocolates for Mr. PM, and a Back on Track mesh sheet for Mr. PM's horse (it's only weird if it doesn't work). Saw LAZ, Flightcheck, Flutie, ACME - probably many of you saw me - I was one of the area stewards at HOTL.

2 members found this post helpful.

I got padded dog collars (padded in blue for my eventing colors) w nameplates and phone #, the new Tipperary vest (on order since they only had one in my size that was not my color), new SSG gloves, new Fleck dressage whip and I was 2nd in line for a Boyd autograph which I had him sign my well worn and loved Boston Red Sox hat! He even made a comment of how old it looked! Lol

Volunteers got free t-shirts from Moxie ... and I also bought some of their fuzzy brushing boots that have the velcro-in lining. I love everything they make!

Two belts from clever with leather and a small dog collar with a name plate for my mom's maine coon kitten. Figure he'll be small dog size a blue/navy IRH helmet I'm sure my hunter trainer will love and two stubben bits I just couldn't resist. Oh and a bodywork book from the practical horseman tent.

Had dinner with Joe Meyers parents, and Clayton Fredericks mother. Too much fun!

Bought a Kanteq vest. Please, someone tell me I'm going to be able to get this zipped up by myself Also bought a gorgeous breast collar from 5* Tack.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

ACMEeventing is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Had dinner with Joe Meyers parents, and Clayton Fredericks mother. Too much fun!

Bought a Kanteq vest. Please, someone tell me I'm going to be able to get this zipped up by myself Also bought a gorgeous breast collar from 5* Tack.
    Okay, insanely jealous regarding #1. And completely concur regarding #2.

I looked like a gerbil on acid trying to zip it up myself last night. Wendy made it look so easy when I bought it. I told her it's like buying a prom dress, better not gain any weight!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    Okay, insanely jealous regarding #1. And completely concur regarding #2.

I looked like a gerbil on acid trying to zip it up myself last night. Wendy made it look so easy when I bought it. I told her it's like buying a prom dress, better not gain any weight!
    I know! Wendy said, "oh you'll have someone around to help if you need it". HA! I usually go to events by myself. Granted, there's usually someone there that I know but, come on, everyone's busy..blah blah. I told my SO he's going to have to start going with me to help, and he said all I need is a mirror in the trailer, 'cuase I can't see over my "you knows". Really, they aren't that big I haven't practiced since I've been home, but as soon as I get the mowing done I'll tackle it. Can't believe how much the grass grew in 5 days!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    I'm sure the place was crawling with COTHers going unrecognized.
    Gaahhh I'm so jealous, I wish we culd have gone this year. I totally plan on wearing something embroidered with "COTHer" on it whenever we do go somewhere big, a wide ribbon in the hair, perhaps?
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

I didn't buy too much... A saddle pad, official Rolex stuff (shirt, cup, and hat), New Vocations shirt. If I had a horse, I probably would have had to break out my credit card!!

I was pretty sick all week - of course the year I go, first time and all, I am miserably sick. Luckily no fever- just lots of sinus crap. I don't think I met anyone... I'm more of a lurker on here anyway, so no one would know me

I had an absolute blast!! My mom, who has always 100% supported my horse addiction, had so much fun! We hope this could be an every other year trip. My wonderful husband was very supportive of me going as well, despite our 5 year wedding anniversary on the 26th!

After Rolex we spent Monday touring Old Friends then going to Churchill and the Kentucky Derby museum. We had lunch in the cafe and I decided to try the famous "Hot Brown" I had heard of over the years but never wanted to try because I envisioned vats of gravy. I have a new favorite! It is basically toast with hot turkey on top absolutely smothered in bechamel cheese sauce and topped with bacon and Parmesan.

I went to the "behind the scenes" tour at Keeneland on Friday morning hosted by olymicdreams04, so I met lots of really nice COTHers, I just don't know who they were!

I was so bummed that I did not know about the EN tailgate -- I have no idea how I missed that memo. It sounds like they will do it again next year, so hopefully I'll be able to make it back (athough we are going to try to go to France for WEG, so I am not sure I'll be able to go to KY too).

I got to meet Peter Atkins and pet Henny -- and had my picture taken with them and Peter signed my "Run Henny Run" hat, which I was wearing that day. I saw WFP and Mary King, but did not wait in lines to get autographs.

This was my first Rolex, and I keep hearing people say the shopping wasn't as good as previous years. I can't imagine how much I would have spent if the trade fair had been better! I bought a pair of the new Dubarry's in black (but they have to ship them to me, because they were out of my size by the time I actually decided to try them on on Saturday). I also finally caved and bought the Samshield helmet I have been going back and forth on, and a neat backpack from Noble Equine which I think is better made than the GPA back pack, and was significantly less expensive, and some stuff for my horse at the Cavalor tent.

I really wanted one of those hats that the volunteers were wearing, but the shop wasn't selling them, so I bought one off of a nice college student at the end of her volunteer shift! She was happy to have the money rather than the hat, and I was very happy to have the hat I wanted! So, a win-win deal.

The only non-horse things I bought were a cool straw hat and one of those "fascinators" that are so popular now -- can't remember the vendor for the former, the later I got at Keeneland.

I went a little crazy -- and I am dreading the credit card bill.

I also won some stuff! I won a Squires jacket in a trivia contest after the Jimmy Wofford course walk, and a drawing for a Moxie saddle pad, some Flair nose strips for my horse and a hat. And my husband got a free Land Rover/USEF hat when he did the Land Rover drive. Free stuff is excellent!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Being surrounded by amazing riders was so cool. I volunteered and met a ton of the riders that way. I even got a picture with Boyd Martin (drool...)!

I was a volunteer so I walked away with a free Rolex hat and volunteer T-shirt. I also did the Range Rover test drive and walked away with a free hat from that... After that nothing free for this girl. The Rolex hat is my new favorite hat though and as someone that is currently growing out her hair I live in hats!

I purchased 2 dressage pads and a pair of socks @ SmartPak, a pair of discontinued FITS @ VTO, and a pair of Hunter Rain boots.

I also got two early graduation presents from my parents and a friend (and her family). My parents gave me a lovely pair of Dubarry's and my bestie and her parents bought me a lovely quilted Barbour coat. Pretty sweet Rolex for me in terms of shopping and goodies brought home.

And last but not least I meet a super awesome blogger (Charlie and Me) while I was there.
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    I won a Squires jacket in a trivia contest after the Jimmy Wofford course walk.....
    Hey, I know you! I was the photographer, taking pictures of Jimmy during the course walk! I was standing next to you when they were doing the trivia game, asked you what you won, remember?! Small horse world!
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

TM - I will gladly assist in zipping you in anytime! I'm sure we'll be at most, if not all, the same events!! Glad you'll be competing again! Someday I will...I'm thinking Cy can tote me around Novice/Training when he's old! LOL
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

It was my first Rolex too. I bought a Thinline girth (still has to ship to me - they only brought a sample), Moxie bamboo saddle pad (LOVE this pad so far), New Vocations shirt, Rolex gear for me and barnmates, and I got a nice horse-themed tote bag in downtown Georgetown at Unique Gifts and More (the only store open past 5p.m., and run by a pair of the friendliest Kentuckians ever!).

I also went to the Keeneland tour on Friday morning led by olympicdreams04, which was amazing.

Apparently I also met TarheelJD! I was the one in the Canada sweatshirt and the camera that kept running into you everywhere we went! We did the Eric Dierks/Ralph Hill course walk together. And Keeneland.

I might have met pegasusmom - I was talking to an Assistant FEI Steward at Head of the Lake who was extremely nice, allowing me to squeeze in to take some pictures. We chatted about the FEI certification process for stewards. Not sure if this was pegasusmom or somebody else, but it was fascinating.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.