The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fort Collins- horses, barns, etc

Well, Ft Collins is where I'll end up- currently in Laramie, which is just not that horse friendly!
    Anyone know anything about the area?
    I will be looking for barns in the area- is there such a thing as turnout??? Lol! Trainers not as important, as Christian Eagles comes this way....
    thanks!
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

Here ya go ...

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...thern-Colorado

That should have a good bit of what you're looking for - enjoy your new home!

(There are even more Fort Collins threads to search.)

Thanks! That barn is a bit outta my price range!! Lol!'

I use to keep my horses at Poudre River Equestrian Center (not sure if that is still the name of the place). I do know it has had several owners and think it's for sale yet again. As far as options it was the best at the time not sure if that is still the case?
    I think there are a few nice barn in the Longmont/Loveland area if you don't mind the drive. Too bad you aren't closer to Douglas County tons of nice barns.

What do you need? What's nice to have, versus must have? Do you need an indoor? A trainer? Are you going to be there every day?

Boarding in Fort Collins is a series of compromises. How much and how many just depends on how long your must have list is.

jenbrin, I don't even know what PREC is called now. It's totally gated and on the market again. Might even be private--there's no sign, I don't think. I drive by there every day.

I need turn out...and would like an indoor. Trailer parking would be nice- good healthy horses, with no crowding. Trainer that was sane would be great, but not essential. I have a guy with a parrot mouth so he has to have grain...

If you want an indoor, you're seriously limited.

I'd check out the old Stonegate, which was just purchased by the H/J trainer who used to be at Savanna Ridge.

You might also look at Tomora, on Hwy 34 on the way to Greeley.

If Wendy Lanham is still taking boarders, she might be worth a look, too, although she doesn't do much turnout. She's an excellent dressage trainer and is Wellington...their place is on the market, though.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head that would be worth looking at that's got an indoor.

Do you need an indoor here? I don't need (and am not!) riding 365 days. A
    A good outdoor would be fine...

It depends. Are you going to be riding in the winter at all? Are you going to be working during the day? How far north are you willing/wanting to go?

If you're riding in the winter after an 8 - 5 job, then yeah, you're going to need an indoor. Or lights, at the very least. Or if you want to ride in the winter/spring and you're boarding much north of town, because the farther north and east you go, the worse the wind is.

You really need to sit down and figure out what your must haves are. Do you need a barn that's going to notice every little thing wrong with your horse and either act or call you on it? Or are you going to be there every day? Do you want grain included, or are you willing to supply it? Do you need good footing in the arena, or is the ability to ride out more important? How much are you willing to spend and how far are you willing to drive?

Fort Collins is FAR from the horse mecca that is Douglas County. Put together a list of your MUST haves--your bare minimums--and then rate everything else you want from there. What matters to me might not matter to you, or what I don't care at all about might be a deal breaker for you.

This is a tough town to board in, IMO.

Farriers, vets and other professionals can also be tough.

Not to even mention our complete LACK of a decent tack store.

Lynchland stables does boarding but it's mostly just runs with shelters then turn out in a bigger area. They have an indoor. Not sure if they allow outside trainers to come in.

Theres another more towards Tinmath where you can probably rent a stall but itd be all self care.

Lazy J Bar S is in Loveland and has a heated indoor and turnout if you do it yourself. They were supposedly going to change the footing in the outdoor to improve but I haven't seen it since then.

Lazy J Bar S is for sale, so I'd be surprised if they'd put money into it right now.

I've known a few people who were at Lynchland who've left for other barns.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    jenbrin, I don't even know what PREC is called now. It's totally gated and on the market again. Might even be private--there's no sign, I don't think. I drive by there every day.
    This does NOT suprise me at all!! When I was graduating college they were making a ton of changes to the place and a lot that made no sense for the area. I was just glad that I was heading back south. In fact, I wouldn't be suprised if the old owners foreclosed or are short selling it.

It really is a shame that there is a lack of horse facilities/trainers seeing how CSU is right there with there Equine Science program and vet school.

Yeah my trainer left lazy j in may because of the footing and there were signs up on the barn the day she left that there would be new footing in the outdoor. Not sure if that would be just a ton of sand thrown on top or actual footing replaced.

Maybe you should move! I live in horse heaven down here. Just sayin.

We have three tack shops in town (including Dover) that are closer than the grocery store, the hunt field 5 minutes away, the CANTER track just 15 minutes away, two excellent trainers with indoors and XC courses within 5 minutes, and my vet lives two doors down and boards their horse at my house.

If only I could get pizza delivery out here, my life would be complete.

Oh and we are actually in Elbert county, much lower taxes than Douglas county. Feel free to start throwing stuff at me now.
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Ha! When I lived in Steamboat and evented from there -- the closest event was Windy Wyoming in Laramie, followed by Tomora, PREC and another one in Ft. C I've forgotten the name of -- I used to be a little jealous of people living in Laramie and Ft. C because they had eventing and XC at their doorsteps. I guess it's all relative.
    If Tomora is anything like what I remember, I'd think that would be a great place to board. Good luck with your next move!
    I evented just for the Halibut.

I haven't been to Ft. Collins in a eon, but from what I remember, here is what I was told. Windy season = need for an indoor. Those winds can whip in around 20 mph, so unless you ride a slug of a horse, you might want an indoor. Turnout was very limited - the barns I visited in Ft. Collins had a DIY turnout, and everybody shared it. Otherwise, you had to be content with a pipe corral attached to your stall. Be prepared to drive for hours to get to a recognized show - people out West don't think twice about loading up the ponies and driving 12 or so hours to get to an event, and those events last over the weekend and then some. The ground can get rock hard in the summer. On the bright side, Ft. Collins is a lovely area for outdoor sports, especially river rafting and hiking! I loved it out there when I was visiting, but I was fresh out of college and those are a dime a dozen out there, so job opportunities were extremely limited. It doesn't sound like you have to worry about that. Good luck and remember that my information is pretty old - things have most likely changed for the better/worse!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeswithfizz View Post
    We have three tack shops in town (including Dover)
    Make that two. Just saw today that Bit of Tack is going out of business.

Tomora has no turnout so it doesn't sound like it would work for the OP.

I board my guy here.
    http://sunsetridgeequine.com
    He lives in a dry lot/paddock and gets turned out into the big pasture 3 days a week. There's an arena with jumps, a jumping field/mini xc course, and large hay fields that you can ride through. I park my trailer there for no additional cost. While I'd prefer more turnout, my horse is happy and healthy and the BO is excellent. My guy is mostly retired so I don't know much about the trainer.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by eventer_mi View Post
    .... Windy season = need for an indoor. Those winds can whip in around 20 mph, ...
    Yeah this. If you ride at all between Nov. & end of March, you will need an indoor. Winds 20-30 mph and temps in teens & 20's. If you have an indoor blocking the wind it's do-able, once you learn how to dress. I used to be happy with anything 20+F (wouldn't be riding at all without the indoor.) Below that temp, had to slow down and be sure to not sweat the horse. But exercise is important at the lower temps because it elevates the horse's internal temps and gives them energy to bear the weather, especially nighttime. However, if properly managed, horses do well enough in that climate. (Of course Canadians are hardy to much colder temps than that! )

The rest of the year the winds continue, but the temp is more bearable. You need to be sure your horse has shelter even in turnout, all year round. Someone should live on the premises who can bring the horses in if the weather gets really nasty, midday in winter.

Dani, I had no idea you boarded with Christa. Oh, the stories I could tell... We used to get into all sorts of trouble together.