The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Maryland Hunt Cup Saturday--a different XC

"I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Well... while it had a great finish, only 4 finishers out of 15 would not constitue "great" in most race savvy opinions. Now many of those who didn't finish simply pulled up, which is a good thing. But I was there yesterday and there was much discussion about the lack of fit finishers.

On the flip side, my friend Jody won it so for that I am beyond elated.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    ]there was much discussion about the lack of fit finishers.
    Does this mean cardio fitness or ability as a racehorse? I did watch the video and was impressed at the lack of finishers but have no idea is this is normal.

WOW I know nothing about this, But are those fences huge? It is hard to tell but the way some went down, I have no clue about this, enlighten me. IT looks like it takes a special kind of horse.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Pologirl: Both.

Sannois, the height of the highest fence is over 5' solid timber. It takes a very exceptional horse and rider.

It was notable in conversation that so many did not finish. In years past where there were large fields, they had at least 60% finish. 4/15 is not a great percentage. Hence the chatter.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Pologirl: Both.

Sannois, the height of the highest fence is over 5' solid timber. It takes a very exceptional horse and rider.

It was notable in conversation that so many did not finish. In years past where there were large fields, they had at least 60% finish. 4/15 is not a great percentage. Hence the chatter.

Emily
    4+ miles. The horse that won is Irish with a chaser pedigree. The American horses are flat racers who have been converted and have pretty typical American flat racing pedigrees.

Emily, do you mean that the clot of horses out of camera view at the end all didn't finish?

Correct Viney.

See Chart here:

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...042614USA1.pdf

Emily

I've spoken with some of the 'chaser trainers locally concerned they have not had a lot of time to condition with how long winter lasted. I know two of the early season races were rescheduled, I believe one may have been snowed out in March. I wonder if that lack of conditioning showed up in the Hunt Cup?
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

2 members found this post helpful.

Wow Interesting. Are these horses bred for this in mind?
    How many I wonder that do not make it have ever gone on to event? Just wondering. Interesting sport. Not for the faint of heart. Would be great if there were closer video of the actual jumps.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Correct Viney.

See Chart here:

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...042614USA1.pdf

Emily
    I really enjoy the format of these- gives you a better sense of what went on than an event score sheet for sure! Can you imagine? "Rider appears drunk, horse would not jump". I will hopefully witness the Howard County Cup Races first hand so I'm trying to get a sense of how it all works.

It appears to have been slow compared to the record.

Did y'all notice that Bug Eyed Willy ran with the herd for more than half the race after losing his rider? Jumped all the jumps, but never threatened to get anywhere near the leaders.

These are not young horses either. Bon Caddo is 13; Guts For Garters is 11; Imperial Way is 9, and the other finisher, Twill Do, who has won this race twice, is 14.

Good to see the name Strawbridge on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Wow Interesting. Are these horses bred for this in mind?
    How many I wonder that do not make it have ever gone on to event? Just wondering. Interesting sport. Not for the faint of heart. Would be great if there were closer video of the actual jumps.
    Here you go:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfr2hLL48SU

(3:50 if you want to see the height and solidity of the fences)

Quote Originally Posted by GoneAway View Post
    Here you go:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfr2hLL48SU

(3:50 if you want to see the height and solidity of the fences)
    OH MY GOD!! Those are either some really brave or really stupid riders.
    Incredible. I had to gasp a few times with the riders falling and not getting trampled. And the loose horses! Thanks for posting that!

Are the heights always the same for Timber? And I understand this is one of the longer races, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by pologirl27 View Post
    Are the heights always the same for Timber? And I understand this is one of the longer races, correct?
    The Virginia Gold Cup contested this coming weekend is 4 miles as well. The fences are not as big. The Maryland Hunt Cup is always the biggest course overall, but Va Gold Cup is consistently solid and large where MHC has some variety of heights.

You can read the conditions for all the spring chase races here:

It's very educational.

http://www.nationalsteeplechase.com/...ond-Bk-Web.pdf

~Emily

What a neat video! I want to try! Haha too bad I'm not small.

Most jump jockeys are far from tiny. I think the weight is 165 for the Hunt Cup. Also all of the Hunt Cup riders are amateurs.

ETA:
    My green horse's sire, Yarrow Brae, had two runners (Twill Do and Foyle). He was a flat horse and his babies mostly start on the flat. I'm only jumping 2'6 with mine at the moment but I have high hopes for t hat jumping blood to come through!

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    Most jump jockeys are far from tiny. I think the weight is 165 for the Hunt Cup. Also all of the Hunt Cup riders are amateurs.

ETA:
    My green horse's sire, Yarrow Brae, had two runners (Twill Do and Foyle). He was a flat horse and his babies mostly start on the flat. I'm only jumping 2'6 with mine at the moment but I have high hopes for t hat jumping blood to come through!
    Oh really? I'm a little bit off that weight now, but I'm 5'11 and I could do that! New thing to add to my bucket list!

The Maryland Hunt Cup is a very different race from the other timber races. It's longer than all but the Virginia Gold Cup. The fences are way bigger. You get to the 16th, which is 4'10, uphill and after 3 miles. The 3rd, 6th and 12th and 13th are monsters as well. Except for the water jump, which is small, all the others are true verticals. The race is special, and it requires a special horse. I doubt that there have ever been 15 true "Hunt Cup Horses" in training at the same time. That would account for the non-finishers.
    Little boast: My niece trained the winner!
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Thanks for taking me back many years when standing on the hillside at the Maryland Hunt Cup was an annual event for me! I still think about some of the horses I watched year after year - most notably Mountain Dew who was so calm in the paddock that you wouldn't believe he'd wake up to run! He just knew how to save himself I guess. He was hunted by a young teen, as I recall, but was one of the winningest steeplechasers of his era. Pretty cool.

It was great to see so many female jockeys; they were nonexistent when I lived close enough to attend. More guts than I have!

It did seem like the fences gave way more easily than I recall seeing years ago. Does anyone know if they have changed any rules on fence construction to allow for that?
    Whimbrel