The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is the purr proportionate?

I have a 13 pounder who purrs much bigger than that. I don't know why the cat doesn't explode.

And I used to have a 20 pounder with a dinky purr. Also, he was too lazy to open his mouth very far when he meowed. I felt ripped off-- the size of the cat promised a larger purr.

Anyone get a great deal on an outsized purr or a bad deal on a big cat with a small purr?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I think it's supposed to go up with the level of joy.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Father/son duo of Jack and Tippy, roughly the same size (15+ pounds) are at the opposite ends of the purr volume scale. Jack can purr loud enough to be heard over the tractor whilst son Tippy can only be heard when the house is quiet at night. Loudest purr in of the lot probably belongs to Louie, 13ish pounds and Da Bad Goils are about equal in purr volume and size (10ish pounds); the difference is Da Magpie never quits purring and Blue only gets her motor revving when she is cuddled with Louie and he isn't objecting. Hissy is te smallest and she purrs louder than Tippy but not as loud as Da Goils. No correlation here for size to volume
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Coda is all of 5 pounds even on the vet scales, and she is full grown now. Vet commented on her petiteness, her "it really IS a Siamese!" Meezerhood, and, of course, her award-winning eyes when she was in there with an abscess a few months ago. Long, slinky, on absolutely stilt legs that make me just cringe when she jumps off something high. She obviously isn't as fragile as she looks, but you swear she's going to break someday. I am told her mother is tiny, too, although her mother also eats like a Tazmanian devil. Coda is the most food motivated cat I have. Her metabolism must have afterburners.

But Coda the midget has the loudest purr in the house. She sounds like a helicopter. Tenuto and Cory have medium purrs, as does Chaim (the largest of my cats). HRH Rosalind is the pickiest, no surprise there. She has a fine purr, but she has volume control and uses it, and she doesn't purr at all unless she deems it an appropriate occasion.

Old Lady Cat (10lbs) purred like a mouth breathing ogre when she was younger -- get her going and you could hear her from another room. The volume has decreased as she's gotten older, but she's more chatty to make up for it -- we have 10 minute long question and answer sessions when I get home from work.

Little Man (13lbs) is quite the engine himself. He's a little slow on the start up, but once you get him warmed up, he sounds a bit like a vintage muscle car with a blown out muffler. Much to my disappointment, he's not chatty like his sister (yet) but does give me the cutest "hello there!" chirrup when I wake him from a nap.

Narcoleptikitty (9lbs) -- my parents cat -- is barely audible when she purrs. LM as a dehydrated, weakling kitten purred louder.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I think it's supposed to go up with the level of joy.
    Oh, I know. I have made careful studies of this, including (inadvertently) depriving a cat of luv so that I could test out the cat's maximum level of appreciation.

I'm talking about when you have the cat all cranked up, no matter how you get there-- a welcome home, catnip, whatever.

No point in assessing a cat's purr only half throttle. That's not a fair test.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I have one that purrs incredibly loudly, especially at 3am 1 inch from my face as I am trying to ignore him and get back to sleep! I think he does it on purpose. He also enjoys running around purring when he gets excited. Sometimes I can hear him running/purring towards me from another room! He is roughly 13-14 pounds but sounds like a 25 pounder at least!

Similar to another poster, we also have a 10 min Q&A about our days when I get home from work and again in the morning when we wake up!

You can only tell Oliver is purring if you have a hand on his neck. I used to think he didn't purr. All the others have regular loudness purrs. Even tiny shrimpy Carmella.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Ricky, the smaller of my two, has a monster purr/chirp. He's probably 7 or 8lbs. His bigger brother, Bobby, can really rev it up, too (he's probably more like 12lbs), but Ricky's purr is ALWAYS big, loud, and boisterous.

Here he is at his finest.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    OMG! If he could keep it up without having to breathe, he could compete with the Doctor's sonic screwdriver.

Most excellent! Nice to have some real data.

Now is that just the purr, or pure and meow?

And these brothers, Ricky and Bobby, were named after the Talladega Nights driver, right?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Most excellent! Nice to have some real data.

Now is that just the purr, or pure and meow?

And these brothers, Ricky and Bobby, were named after the Talladega Nights driver, right?
    I consider it more of a purr-chirp. His meow (and his brother's meow) are very, very much meows and they are both very vocal boys (Ricky will often come in when I prop the backdoor open for them, declaring his entrance loudly and proudly). But they definitely both have a little chirp to their purrs, Ricky especially.

And, yes, named after the hero of Talladega Nights. They weren't really a David and Nigel, nor were they a Jules and Vincent. Ricky and Bobby totally works.

I consider it more of a purr-chirp. His meow (and his brother's meow) are very, very much meows and they are both very vocal boys (Ricky will often come in when I prop the backdoor open for them, declaring his entrance loudly and proudly). But they definitely both have a little chirp to their purrs, Ricky especially.

And, yes, named after the hero of Talladega Nights. They weren't really a David and Nigel, nor were they a Jules and Vincent. Ricky and Bobby totally works.
    1. Does the cat purr without the chirp, or does he always give you the two-fer?

2. Alternate names as in David St. Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    1. Does the cat purr without the chirp, or does he always give you the two-fer?

2. Alternate names as in David St. Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel?
    1. He's purring like a normal cat right now (no chirp), but I'm sure if I were to love on him or if he climbed into my lap, it would escalate into a purr-chirp.

2. Exactly. I knew you'd appreciate that! Unfortunately, the names didn't suit the personalities.