The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

I've always wondered if "Tee" stayed dead this time or arose again. Something in there said she had AIDS but I sort of remember that they said she had a bad heart?? SO many scammers, so little time. They all run together after awhile.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

IIRC, she posted that she wasn't feeling well, then went into the hospital and died. It was certainly unexpected. The whole thing unraveled because no one claimed the remains at the morgue. However, she was at the morgue under her real name. A little googling brought forth a torrent of info.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    That thread makes my head hurt.
    Had to chuckle...my friend has emails from Celeita using the same tactics of threat, 'you don't know about us' and language...well, except every other word was a 4 letter starting with F. And that was YEARS ago.

I am amazed that folks don't do Google research. The thread on Celeita is 1000's of posts long! When so many people say the same bad things...if it smell like a fish...it probably is.

The difference between these 'businesses' is that C never even filed for 501(c)3 though she claimed that donations were tax deductible, she kept ownership of the horses and sold/adopted them out again and again. She threatened ( she was military and well schooled in offensive tactics apparently. Chrusty did file the 501(c)3 paperwork. However, failed to deliver horses to people paying for them and also raised funds which apparently didn't get applied as they were intended. Bottom line - both are scammers preying upon the horselovers who don't want to see horses 'go to slaughter'.

Interesting that their paths haven't crossed before now.

Yes, we remember the 'turning them loose' email.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Thats all well and good but some of the information that are seeking is so subjective vs factual. Anyone with an axe to grind could say the horse they got was misrepresented etc. What happened to buyer beware?
    That's the defense opening and closing argument in all of these fraud cases Defendants usually get convicted nonetheless Prosecutors look for a pattern of behavior. One claim of misrepresentation may be a lie or business mistake. Dozens of such incidents = fraud. That's the law and common sense. FBI agents and federal prosecutors know what they're doing and take their time building a case.
    Last edited by TemJeito; May. 7, 2013 at 09:26 AM. Reason: clean up grammar

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post
    Had to chuckle...my friend has emails from Celeita using the same tactics of threat, 'you don't know about us' and language...well, except every other word was a 4 letter starting with F. And that was YEARS ago.

I am amazed that folks don't do Google research. The thread on Celeita is 1000's of posts long! When so many people say the same bad things...if it smell like a fish...it probably is.

The difference between these 'businesses' is that C never even filed for 501(c)3 though she claimed that donations were tax deductible, she kept ownership of the horses and sold/adopted them out again and again. She threatened ( she was military and well schooled in offensive tactics apparently. Chrusty did file the 501(c)3 paperwork. However, failed to deliver horses to people paying for them and also raised funds which apparently didn't get applied as they were intended. Bottom line - both are scammers preying upon the horselovers who don't want to see horses 'go to slaughter'.

Interesting that their paths haven't crossed before now.

Yes, we remember the 'turning them loose' email.
    Just a side note here.

Our performance dog club was started in 1978 and is run by all volunteers.
    Not one officer of the club has ever been paid and teachers of the classes we offer to the public have always been all volunteers.

We are a state registered non-profit, but not thru the IRS.
    Why?
    Our income from classes and obedience and agility shows is considerably larger than donations.
    We don't quite qualify because of that, so we lose on possible tax based donations like the IRS certified 501s non-profits get.
    It is a catch of those laws, we can't ask for taxable donations because we don't qualify because we don't get enough donations, duh.
    That also keeps us from qualifying for so many other state, federal and private foundation grants out there.
    We do spend much time helping animal control and 501s rescues with their donation drives.

When it comes to non-profits, there are all kinds of certifications, it seems.
    Unless you know exactly which kind some organization has, you may not know what they are doing.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by summerhorse View Post
    SO many scammers, so little time.

Sad, but true.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

1 members found this post helpful.

Numbers don't lie and are not subjective. That's the only way some of these scumbags ever get caught and a plea bargain is about their only hope if warrants were obtained as required and authorities took their time building a strong case- which seems to be the case here.

Their other actions may be in question but not the numbers. It's the only way they catch murderous gangsters, drug runners and crooked politicians-tax evasion. It's federal and brings out the big guns from FBI to ATF and prosecutors with far more resources at their disposal then county or state.

These people knew exactly what they were doing and dug themselves a great deep hole they will remain in for the foreseeable future. That should not bother anybody at all.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

6 members found this post helpful.

Just to be clear, this is not tax evasion. The statutes that give the federal government jurisdiction are usually the wire and mail fraud statutes that have nothing to do with taxes. (Don't mean to be picky, but I used to prosecute these cases.)

Whatever, once the feds are in on it, it's hard to beat even with a glib lawyer...and the IRS is usually right behind them waiting in line to finish wiping them out. Watched that play out several times in Texas about 30 or so years ago in the height of the...snowstorm.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

...and what about the horses 'bailed' but not yet picked up by their new owners?

How would one deal with that?
    Is B. Moore also under investigation as an associate of AC4H or is his livestock clear of the mess?

Have there been charges filed, then?

Thanks,

From what I've been able to find...the IRS is currently auditing AC4H. The federal warrant the FBI used was issued for wire fraud and conspiracy. My guess is that either way, either agency, AC4H and Co. are in a world of trouble with the guvmint.

And that my friends...is not a bad thing at all.

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by D_BaldStockings View Post
    ...and what about the horses 'bailed' but not yet picked up by their new owners?

How would one deal with that?
    Is B. Moore also under investigation as an associate of AC4H or is his livestock clear of the mess?

Have there been charges filed, then?

Thanks,
    idk for sure- but when i Direct bailed our gelding in January, he had to go to Quarantine. the QT barn picked him up and brought him to QT barn. I was too far away and dealt with all of this speaking on the phone and texting. Once you "direct Bail" it means you have paid for your horse. print out your receipt from paypal and confirmation from the rescue people( there are people still working online for them.) While my horse was at Quarantine, i paid a vet for tests, For antibiotics, and exams and finally a health cert so he could be shipped.

I assume that is how the buyer can still get their horse( direct bailed.)

Does anyone have any updates to this situation? i see they are still selling horses..

I've heard locally rumors that this runs much deeper than just AC4H, but have seen nothing else in mainstream media about it.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cutter99 View Post
    I've heard locally rumors that this runs much deeper than just AC4H, but have seen nothing else in mainstream media about it.
    You know how we have been wondering for so long how the HSUS could still be a non-profit when all they did any more seemed to be lobbying and be directly involved in politics and law making?

Well, seems that there may be some more to that after all:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/16/ir...umane-society/

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    You know how we have been wondering for so long how the HSUS could still be a non-profit when all they did any more seemed to be lobbying and be directly involved in politics and law making?

Well, seems that there may be some more to that after all:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/16/ir...umane-society/
    What on earth is your problem!

Please don't answer that, it wasn't a question.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

10 members found this post helpful.

I'm hearing rumors too, that the broker pick ups were delayed the day before the FBI bust, anyone know if there is truth to that, and the reason?

Wow, this just gets better and better. I do hope many scammers are taken down in this net.

I have also wondered about the non-profit status of the HSUS. They are, quite clearly, a lobbying organization.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post

Well, that was uncalled for.

And add me to the list that HSUS gets a hard look by the IRS one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post

Ok, won't answer that.

Non-profits have been for decades now a way for very smart cookies to have their own kitty to live off and do what they want with all those donations.

Some are run well and do much good.
    The bigger they get, the more corners are cut, the more crooks find a way to run those veritable gold mines.

Even the Red Cross has been caught using the money in questionable ways.
    Time someone started looking a bit closer at ALL of them.

Some 25 years ago one dog rescue lady told me that running her rescue had really "helped" their farming, I ought to look into it.

I already knew then about the HSUS and such from some that had worked for them and quit. As they told me, it was too shady for them.
    I didn't realize that at the small local level the same was happening, as we see more and more with the many new rescues that have sprung up.

The trouble, there are many that are really doing good work and being careful with their book keeping.
    I know, I helped on our local humane association for long time and part of that was doing office work.
    All the books were open and current, every penny clearly accounted for.
    Those that are not carefully to do things right really should be shut down.
    They are taking money the honest non-profits could use.

3 members found this post helpful.