The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Oh, this gets even more interesting:

Celita Kramer claims that AC4H is trying to sell one of her horses.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2005506&type=1
    Oh, but AC4H contacted SWAP (Celeita) to inform her that the KB had him. Deflection, anyone? Or maybe AC4H is trying to pull SWAP down with them?
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...13580512005506

Yes, this is getting even more interesting!
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Maybe they are gonna split the profits from the bail money they'll ask to be donated?

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

1 members found this post helpful.

Hello FBI if you are reading! If you have spare time on your hands and have some IRS buddies who do as well, this could keep you busy:http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...BURNELL-BEWARE

12 members found this post helpful.

Default Liberty or luvmytbs

Or whoever else has the power?

For those of us who do not access Facebook, is it possible to give us Lurky Lou's a synopsis of the goings on, if not a re-print?

Thank You
    FacelessAlter

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Oh yes, good ol' SWAP.

ETA it is my understanding that any items bought with donated funds or donated to a 501c3 are to be turned over to another 501c3 should the original one go 'out of business'. ??
    TRUE

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Hello FBI if you are reading! If you have spare time on your hands and have some IRS buddies who do as well, this could keep you busy:http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...BURNELL-BEWARE
    This in spades
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

I will simply relate my story.

In 2004 I first dealt with Christy when AC4H posted a list of PMU foals in a feedlot in the Dakotas (N or S I don't remember). I bought 2. The purchase fee was low, shipping was super-cheap and I felt all warm and fuzzy. One foal was very ill with pneumonia, ringworm and mal-nutrition and the other was in pretty good shape. I was buying horses from a feedlot and didn't expect much different. They ended up being nice little horses so I started them and eventually resold them at a huge loss when you consider feed and fencing, shelter and maintenance for almost 2 years. It was during college and I was not too far from home so Dad and I had fenced a couple of pastures off on my parent's 11 acre property. I ended up moving home for about a year and a half after college and it was during that time that I became move involved with AC4H. At one point I was coding and updating their website. It was a mess and there was another lady who was also making updates so it would screw up the formatting every time. If I remember the dates correctly it would have been around 2005.

I bought a Saddlebred off of their broker page for around $495 and picked him up. I knew he was in rough shape but he ended up being a pretty decent fellow and a great trail horse. Again, I resold him for far less than the months of feed, farrier and vet bills I put into him. At the same time I bought a mini from the broker page to be his quarantine buddy. The mini had a bit of a cough. No big deal after some SMZs.

I bought a beautiful Appaloosa off of their broker page intending to have some fun bringing him along as a resale prospect. I ended up falling in love with him and decided to keep him. Unfortunately, I had to put him down after a freak accident with my poly rope fencing. It was tight and hot... I'm not sure how he managed to roll just so it wrapped fully around his leg. Then he ran parallel to the fence instead of away from it and it degloved his hind from mid-cannon down. My vet got there in 15 minutes while Domino was still in shock, resting his head on my shoulder, calm as could be.

I wanted to get a bit more involved so I met up with Christy and her husband at New Holland. My mom was with me, and while not a horse person, she enjoyed having the horses at her house and seeing them go from skinny, rough, sad looking creatures to glossy, healthy, happy horses. I was a bit overwhelmed at the auction. I'd been to Timonium and bought my main riding horse there in 2003. That was easy. I just put my hand up and kept nodding until the gavel fell! At NH, I had no idea what the cost was or who was bidding. A beautiful black draft cross came into the ring a bit off on a hind. I was interested but didn't quite know what to do. Christy's husband won the bid but I ended up paying for him and taking him home. $350 and Christy told me it was Don Nickerson, a kill buyer, who had been bidding against them.

"Max" ended up being a fantastic trail horse and his lameness was an abscess that healed quickly. He was always a bit tricky about having his feet handled. I was moving away from home and didn't have the money to board multiple horses. My mom wanted to keep the mini but couldn't manage Max, so I asked Christy if she knew of anyone looking for a horse like him. I brought him out to her house and an adopter met me there, rode him up and down the road and fell in love with him. I brought back another mini with slipper feet and my mom kept the two minis after I left home. She eventually found another home for them a few miles away.

I didn't do any of this for the money. I was hemorrhaging it out in feed, vet bills, farrier bills, etc. The horse market was dismal for anything not well broke and showing.

I won't defend Christy's actions if she did indeed turn around and resell horses that others had "bailed." I wasn't closely involved enough to know that was going on. I do know that without Christy's help I would not have gotten into helping any of these horses. I wasn't looking for a lifelong horse, I didn't want to deal with 10 page application forms and farm visits. AC4H made it easy. Maybe too easy in some people's eyes. Maybe some of the horses I sold eventually went back to the auction. At least I know that they had a chance. They were fit and healthy and had more training than they started with when they left. Cabby, Fox, Lucian, Domino, Max and Cloud all got a chance.

8 members found this post helpful.

I've followed AC4H for a long time and interviewed Christy on a few occasions. It seems to have gone south when she got involved with broker horses. Before that, she'd raise money to buy a horse or two from New Holland and rehome them. Once she hooked up with Moore, it wasn't a horse or two a week but dozens. She also was quite friendly with a woman named "Tee." Tee died unexpectedly, quite young, with no one claiming her body. It turned out that the name she'd been using was an alias, that she had a criminal record for fraud. She and CS had been tight as ticks, but when Tee died and the truth came out CS never commented about it. I always wondered whether Tee sort of schooled her in the art of the con. Maybe, maybe not, but that's about when AC4H went from an organization with a fairly good rep to a fairly bad one.

6 members found this post helpful.

So Celeita is ' a month away from selling the farm'. SWAP/She hasn't been taking back 'SWAP horses' and she is surprised that Rock Doctor has ended up at the KB's? Interestingly that poor horse has gone thru a series of adopters over the years...as I recall...several claimed he was misrepresented to them by SWAP. Christy used good marketing skills...trace owner when registered stock ...they MIGHT be interested in saving the horse.

But she never did 501(c)3 paperwork and has been flying under the radar for all these years. Neither the IRS nor WV has pursued her illegal activites. And anyone wonders why these shady 'rescues' have proliferated?? it has been too easy to fudge.

2 members found this post helpful.

Jill Burnell thread - horrifying!!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post
    So Celeita is ' a month away from selling the farm'. SWAP/She hasn't been taking back 'SWAP horses' and she is surprised that Rock Doctor has ended up at the KB's? Interestingly that poor horse has gone thru a series of adopters over the years...as I recall...several claimed he was misrepresented to them by SWAP. Christy used good marketing skills...trace owner when registered stock ...they MIGHT be interested in saving the horse.

But she never did 501(c)3 paperwork and has been flying under the radar for all these years. Neither the IRS nor WV has pursued her illegal activites. And anyone wonders why these shady 'rescues' have proliferated?? it has been too easy to fudge.
    Celeita Kramer / Crossed Sabers / SWAP has been "a month away" of "losing the farm" for YEARS. I'm guessing it's been a somewhat successful marketing ploy since she's still using it.

I can only hope that with the Feds shining the spotlight on AC4H, they also shine it in the direction of Celeita Kramer. From what I've read and heard, AC4H and SWAP appear to me to be two of the biggest "horse adoption/rescue" scams on the East Coast.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

11 members found this post helpful.

One can only hope.

I don't really know enough of the details of AC4H to make a determination but it would be great if they could put Celeita out of business at a minimum if not behind bars.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Oh, but AC4H contacted SWAP (Celeita) to inform her that the KB had him. Deflection, anyone? Or maybe AC4H is trying to pull SWAP down with them?
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...13580512005506

Yes, this is getting even more interesting!
    I wouldn't infer anything nefarious here necessarily. The sad fact is that this horse for a fact, and many others like him but not so easily identifiable, can kick around the lower end barns/dealers/rescues for *years* if they have some redeeming quality that makes ppl not want to send them to the KB.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Oh, this gets even more interesting:

Celita Kramer claims that AC4H is trying to sell one of her horses.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2005506&type=1
    Celeita/SWAP comments on the above linked F'book posting that she doesn't know who the meat buyer is... uh hello?! It's B Moore.
    Google could/would tell you all you need to know about who the meat buyer is that AC4H markets for.

IF you truly do retain ownership as you claim, just contact the police and get the horse, who was technically stolen, back.
    That SWAP has done neither a Google search nor contacted the police is interesting... Does anyone other than me smell something?
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

6 members found this post helpful.

I have been following this, since AC4H is local to me. I have found it interesting that the local newspaper has not done any coverage on this. Even the "local" news station, that has poor coverage in Berks Co. has featured this story.

Above, "Tee" was mentioned, she also was very local to me. She was running a scam for many years and under many aliases. There was at least one thread on her here at the time of her death.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Celeita/SWAP comments on the above linked F'book posting that she doesn't know who the meat buyer is... uh hello?! It's B Moore.
    Google could/would tell you all you need to know about who the meat buyer is that AC4H markets for.

IF you truly do retain ownership as you claim, just contact the police and get the horse, who was technically stolen, back.
    That SWAP has done neither a Google search nor contacted the police is interesting... Does anyone other than me smell something?
    Wow. Too bad someone didn't snap Rock Doctor up when he was younger. He has a decent pedigree for jumping!

Too bad these horses fall through the cracks.

Has anyone gotten the e-mail from RRTP? They need 26 trainers to take horses off the track and reschool them for a show next October. Not a competition just "makeover." it is to remember the 26 who died at Newtown.

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    Wow. Too bad someone didn't snap Rock Doctor up when he was younger. He has a decent pedigree for jumping!

Too bad these horses fall through the cracks.

Has anyone gotten the e-mail from RRTP? They need 26 trainers to take horses off the track and reschool them for a show next October. Not a competition just "makeover." it is to remember the 26 who died at Newtown.
    Where did Rock Doctor come from? I know some of SWAPs horses are donations from accomplished riders/trainers... horses who've been there, done that who are not making it anymore, so they donate them [do they then get to write the horse off their ins. for loss of use or whatever it is? Kinda like what that org of Jen Alfano's does, iirc] and SWAP adopts them out...
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

I am starting to believe this whole rescue "biz" is going to come to a major halt.

And soon

I don't know Roc Doctor or any of the horses mentioned however I am seeing a pattern.

I expect these horses ARE offered to enthusiasts but there are no buyers..therefore they go to an auction with low enders trying to make a fast buck off them..everyone appears to be flipping the same horse.

Then..a rescue becomes involved with a..we gotta save...this is a great and famous horse..but by that time the horse is auctioned out and a couple of years of dubious care is reflected in is ears to its hooves.

Each time, however, someone is saving a horse..for resale.

All to escape to obvious....

Top name riders don't want their name attached to a horse that went to slaughter. And the little guys are all trying to make a buck off that name trainers horse.

The more I am reading about the saving, the up and down, the starvation, and what ever else..all in the name of keeping the horse alive is disgusting.

This is like keeping grandma on life support year after year while she has pneumonia, bed sores and a mirad of other issues.

It is time to pull the plug.

I someone wants to save a horse..go to an auction or find someone to do it for you. Buy ONE horse like the young girl who posted...put some work into it and see if you can resell but be prepared to sell at a loss OR keep the horse.

This flipping is more cruel than needing a second shot with a dead bolt.

This flipping of horses in the name of the saving horse religion is keeping the horses in the pipeline..forcing them to travel from sale to sale or farm to farm while a few make a bunch of money off it.

WOW.. years of ongoing homelessness cruelty in order to save it from the cruelty of slaughter.

7 members found this post helpful.

I wonder why their Facebook page has not been shut down? Still on their begging for money.