The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but found it on Facebook:

ATTENTION VICTIMS OF AC4H: MESSAGE FROM THE FBI OFFICE SPECIAL AGENT CHARLENE TRUX. IF YOU HAVE EVER RECEIVED A SICK, MISREPRESENTED, DEBILITATED OR INCORRECT, OR IF YOU HAVE PAID FOR A ANIMAL AND DID NOT RECEIVE THAT ANIMAL (EXAMPLE, YOU SENT IN YOUR MONEY AND THE HORSE BECAME UNAVAILABE OR WAS DIRECT BAILED BY SOMEONE ELSE, IF HORSE/ANIMAL WAS SWAPPED FOR ANOTHER ANIMAL WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE OR YOU SENT IN THE TRANSPORT AND THE ANIMAL WAS NOT THERE. THERE ARE MANY EXAMPLES THAT COULD BE LISTED) FROM AC4H, CONTACT SPECIAL AGENT CHARLENE TRUX AT 610-433-6488. IF SPECIAL AGENT CHARLENE TRUX IS NOT AVAILABLE THE SWITCH BOARD OPERATOR WILL TAKE YOUR NAME AND NUMBER AND SHE WILL CALL YOU BACK.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    For the millionth time, the difference is that DEF and GG have many neglected and abused horses at their farms for whom they provide day to day care which costs money. That's what they do. Provide care to neglected and abused horses [like Polish Arabians out of Maryland for example], and rehabilitate them, and find them homes after months and months of doing that rehab and care.

IN FACT you yourself said that this isn't a cheap undertaking, would you like me to find that quote for you?

AC4H, not 4H, on the other hand is a middle man who takes in all that money but never has the horses [for whom the money comes in] in their care. Ever.

Big Difference.
    Another time and another thread I will challenge you on the neglected and abused..especially abused statement. Since when is halter training worth $1000 per horse?

Rehab is a common phrase used by rescues and yet most don't live up to what they claim.

to the other poster...why would they "save the broken down" and sell the useful to slaughter?

Although I was a critic of their charges etc, I never saw that occur on TROT..the Saddlebreds presented were described with accuracy..i.e. from the Amish..a road warrior..lame left front..

Or ..clearly able to demonstrate has been a show horse..able to be ridden and picks up on leads..

I expect they had repeat business from the ASB crowd was due to the horses they offered. Not all were saved..of course..and again..I was critical about a fee of $550 and up...if there was only $250.00 raised..they would not drop their price so off to slaughter (or maybe another sale) it went

2 members found this post helpful.

Hypothetical:

What if... the feedlot owner was related in some way to the 'rescue'

Than that is really really questionable as inurement and likely to cause an investigation

What if... the sole QT facility the rescue referred people to was run by a relation?
    referring is ok . an exclusive deal *usually to benefit the private party or business *or spending donated money not so much

. Say the rescue is using donations to pay a buddy's stable exclusively . That type of deal has to be voted on by the board of directors and the BOD are responsible to make sure this is the best use of funds. This has to submitted to the Attorney General in writing . You cannot even have a board that is made up of relatives. You have to have a quorom , if there are two family members your board has to also have three non relatives. I dont know how half the rescues get past the IRS to get non profit status.
    The point of these rules is so that non profits are not phoney ways to avoid paying income tax, workmen's compensation and payroll tax. How many big rescues that don't have outside jobs never report payroll . Tons of them. So dirty but again people scream if they pay themselves so they cheat. People don't look twice at the salvation army paying employees , churches etc but animal rescues are supposed to work full time for free. Its a tightrope act

When you are checking into their 990s also pay attention to independent contractors. This is for people who are not directly related to the business. Say an electrician that comes in once in a while not for someone who is involved with day to day business. Sometimes they will pay themselves or their buddies through that to avoid payroll tax too. This is all depending on them being honest if cash or checks show up in envelopes or they do other creative bookeeping that cant be tracked then who knows what they really bring in or spend

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Aria View Post
    The Amish like to breed minis, and they do so in abundance. AC4H also breeds minis, or at least they did. Supposedly the sale of them would send the kids to college. Yeah, right.

Also, ac4h rents a bank barn with attached dry lot; that’s where the actual rescues live, all grouped together in a herd, including Christy’s personal mare [who also gets bred]. What I would like to know is how those people pay their family bills [you know, mortgage, food, clothing, personal effects, things like that] not affiliated with a rescue when no one works for a living. Money has to be coming from somewhere.

The Amish do not educate their children past the eighth grade, believing that the basic knowledge offered up to that point is sufficient to prepare one for the Amish lifestyle.[1][2] Almost no Amish go to high school, much less to college. In many communities, the Amish operate their own schools, which are typically one-room schoolhouses with teachers (young unmarried women) from the Amish community. These schools provide education in many crafts, and are therefore eligible as vocational education, fulfilling the nationwide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish_l...e_modern_world

http://www.fbi.gov/philadelphia/cont...y-jurisdiction The above number is legit.

Just had to look it up!
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    don't be silly. If they declare they're being paid a salary, they'd have to pay taxes on it. Now here's another thought. If they have no reportable income, do they also get welfare assistance or foodstamps?

Everyone needs to realize that the 990's that I and other's refer to is for the income/expenses of the rescue organization. The Shiedy's and the other officers of Ac4H would also file a personal tax return that would contain their own personal income/exemptions, etc. Personal tax returns are not available to the public unless someone chooses to make them available, or they are a public official who must post them.

All this IRS 990 from Ac4H states is that the rescue is not paying the Shiedy's any salary. Any personal income the Shiedy's receive from any other source would be listed on their personal income tax return.

I believe I read a long time ago that Mr.Shiedy receives disability. Whether that is true or not I have no idea.

The FBI is who raided their home this week, not the IRS. The FBI investigates a lot of things, but tax evasion is not in their purvue. That would be the IRS's jurisdiction. I would assume from the involvement of the FBI and what we were told the search warrant contained, they are investigating internet fraud, money laundering, etc. How interconnected the non profit exemption and any possible charges from the FBI investigation are remains to be seen...as we have seen from the Boston Marathon bombing, the various government agencies seem to not be talking to each other again just like pre-Sept.11.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/what_we_

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    The Amish do not educate their children past the eighth grade, believing that the basic knowledge offered up to that point is sufficient to prepare one for the Amish lifestyle.[1][2] Almost no Amish go to high school, much less to college. In many communities, the Amish operate their own schools, which are typically one-room schoolhouses with teachers (young unmarried women) from the Amish community. These schools provide education in many crafts, and are therefore eligible as vocational education, fulfilling the nationwide

Maybe in most parts, but when I drove a big rig in PA, I delivered to a store with an Amish school beside it. They let the boys in the school out to come over to us and help unload the truck. I'm pretty sure there were high school boys in there, or else they have some big eighth graders. Then again, this store had all sorts of produced items in it, things like shampoo and boxed dinners. Maybe they were the progressive arm of Amish, IDK. **Not that this has anything to do with the zoo which is going on with this rescue. Entertainment purposes only.**
    Last edited by goneriding24; May. 2, 2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: .
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

What does the Amish lifestyle have to do with the question about a rescue breeding or explain the magical money to pay for living expenses ?

Could have just said oh those damn Amish a , I mean not like they use the internet

Originally Posted by Miss Aria
    The Amish like to breed minis, and they do so in abundance. AC4H also breeds minis, or at least they did. Supposedly the sale of them would send the kids to college. Yeah, right.

Dude, Aria was talking about the mini flipping being Christys of AC4Hs' way of saving $$ for her daughters to go to college, not the Amish.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    http://www.fbi.gov/philadelphia/cont...y-jurisdiction The above number is legit.

Just had to look it up!
    Haha, I looked it up before I posted, just in case!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sassysmom View Post
    referring is ok . an exclusive deal *usually to benefit the private party or business *or spending donated money not so much

. Say the rescue is using donations to pay a buddy's stable exclusively . That type of deal has to be voted on by the board of directors and the BOD are responsible to make sure this is the best use of funds. This has to submitted to the Attorney General in writing . You cannot even have a board that is made up of relatives. You have to have a quorom , if there are two family members your board has to also have three non relatives. I dont know how half the rescues get past the IRS to get non profit status.
    The point of these rules is so that non profits are not phoney ways to avoid paying income tax, workmen's compensation and payroll tax. How many big rescues that don't have outside jobs never report payroll . Tons of them. So dirty but again people scream if they pay themselves so they cheat. People don't look twice at the salvation army paying employees , churches etc but animal rescues are supposed to work full time for free. Its a tightrope act

When you are checking into their 990s also pay attention to independent contractors. This is for people who are not directly related to the business. Say an electrician that comes in once in a while not for someone who is involved with day to day business. Sometimes they will pay themselves or their buddies through that to avoid payroll tax too. This is all depending on them being honest if cash or checks show up in envelopes or they do other creative bookeeping that cant be tracked then who knows what they really bring in or spend
    It's called breach of fiduciary duty. Incorporation doesn't protect you, but I believe that errors and omissions insurance will..bet she doesn't have it. And I'm 99% sure it won't cover something illegal, even if she does.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    I think recycling happens. I know of at least one pair of horses that showed up on the AC4H broker list multiple times and I've heard of other stories like that. And New Holland is a big auction, I've been out there once and there were quite a lot of horses there and it runs every week.
    There was a mini that was at Moores, being hawked by AC4H that appeared at Camelot.. while Xty was still stumping for funds for it. She kept insisting it was at Moores.... HHER thankfully took it in, as it was in foal.

There was also another horse, I forget the description of that one, that either AC4H said they had at Moores or said had been adopted, that showed up at another sale... in OH maybe? A real rescue also saved that one.
    Last edited by Angela Freda; May. 2, 2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    The way I understand it from some of the "incidents" mentioned in the past is that they don't "buy" a "broker" horse until it has somewhere to go, immediately.

As I understood it, they post a horse, collect "donations", then when the horse finally has a place to go they "buy" it from the KB (because he doesn't want to deal with the people).
    The horse leaves immediately, so there is little/no feed, etc. on the broker horses: only those in the "actual" rescue portion require that expense.

The ownership of the "broker" horses is what is puzzling: sometimes they say they buy them and resell to the new owner to keep the KB out of the mix.

However, when some people have complained about injury, etc., they were told ac4H never owns the horses, they are simply a listing service (for a small fee, of course) who transfers the $$ to the KB immediately, and the sale is actually between the KB and new owner, with the rescue simply an uninterested intermediary to the transaction. So which is it this time?

In addition, I would love to see their paperwork and how a rescue can also broker horses: I think the IRS and Feds may argue unrelated business income, which would be taxable.
    It has always seemed to me that the story of who owned the horse at what time always conveniently shifted such that no one from AC4H was left holding the bag regardless of the circumstances. If you read the story of the saved TB [in which the deceased breeders ex in laws were contacted]... ownership conveniently shifted.
    Wasn't that a thread on here? I think the horses' name was Luckyallmylife of something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post
    That is unless the 'Save the Farm Fundraiser' actually benefits the farm OWNER rather than the 'rescue'...then it is 'income' to owner....but I am talking about Second Wind AP where that happened. And never any 501(c)3 paperwork filed...15 yrs she's been 'doing it' operating as a charity and not even with the guise of legality. But I digress.
    Oh yes, good ol' SWAP.
    Yes CBER did dhtat as well, used donations of goods and funds to improve the property at which they required QT, at quite the rate too, that was owned by the Org. Presidents step-father.
    I think we've all wondered where those items went when CBER disbanded.

ETA it is my understanding that any items bought with donated funds or donated to a 501c3 are to be turned over to another 501c3 should the original one go 'out of business'. ??

Originally Posted by Miss Aria

Dude, Aria was talking about the mini flipping being Christys of AC4Hs' way of saving $$ for her daughters to go to college, not the Amish.
    Thank you...new glasses ...just don't seem to work..am always walking up hill...

Quote Originally Posted by summerhorse View Post
    So did they ever find out where Honor Boy was buried?
    Are you talking about the horse that I was talking about earlier? Bobby's Honor? Or is this something unrelated? I am confused.

I saw that on FB also and was going to post it. I've been to New Holland auction a few times and I've met Christy a few times and know people who may still be and some who used to be friends with her. No one that has ever talked about her had a nice thing to say. I have no personal negative experience with her but I've never done business with her. We have mutual acquaintences. You have to consider the source, accumulate those opinions and draw a semi-conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but found it on Facebook:

ATTENTION VICTIMS OF AC4H: MESSAGE FROM THE FBI OFFICE SPECIAL AGENT CHARLENE TRUX. IF YOU HAVE EVER RECEIVED A SICK, MISREPRESENTED, DEBILITATED OR INCORRECT, OR IF YOU HAVE PAID FOR A ANIMAL AND DID NOT RECEIVE THAT ANIMAL (EXAMPLE, YOU SENT IN YOUR MONEY AND THE HORSE BECAME UNAVAILABE OR WAS DIRECT BAILED BY SOMEONE ELSE, IF HORSE/ANIMAL WAS SWAPPED FOR ANOTHER ANIMAL WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE OR YOU SENT IN THE TRANSPORT AND THE ANIMAL WAS NOT THERE. THERE ARE MANY EXAMPLES THAT COULD BE LISTED) FROM AC4H, CONTACT SPECIAL AGENT CHARLENE TRUX AT 610-433-6488. IF SPECIAL AGENT CHARLENE TRUX IS NOT AVAILABLE THE SWITCH BOARD OPERATOR WILL TAKE YOUR NAME AND NUMBER AND SHE WILL CALL YOU BACK.

nevermind. already addressed

As was pointed out in the Nokota thread, Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information. How long Amish kids go to school depends on their local church and varies from one group to the othter. I know some kids that have to go until 15, others that have to finish high school.

Selina Kim Sheidy
    3 hours ago
    This is the time we see our true friends, true supporters there is no in between its one way or another. Right now some people switched sides but i have faith that when this pulls through everyone see's the truth and how we really are doing nothing wrong. No one can hide in darkness when the light comes. *AC4H Supporter, volunteer*~ Hang in there supporters. We will pull through , it's not just us going going through this it's all of our supporters you guys are family.! So are the horses, and it's a real shame how people can try to destroy something great! . We did nothing wrong.