The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    I can not recall but either GG or DEFHR leased their farm from the husbands relatives.
    And if it was a legitimate lease amount, there's nothing wrong with that. I know of several rescue orgs who lease the farms they are on from the President or other Board Members. There's nothing unusual about that... but then youve been told that before.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    I can not recall but either GG or DEFHR leased their farm from the husbands relatives.
    I would think that the pertinent question would be are the facilities being leased at a "fair market" price or at an inflated price?
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    "Sure, that poor horse will be "saved from slaughter" by well-meaning folks, but that inflated profit will go towards buying another 4-5 horses that are better "fit" for slaughter, and that's where they go, directly. No one ever sees those horses."

Liberty, You have summed it up nicely. Some horses are simply best routed to slaughter as they have no other earthly purpose/use. Now, more will go directly to slaughter. No crime in that as long as the end is humane. Valley Meats is waiting for one final signature. Then they can help reduce the number of unwanted horses. Sad, but true!
    The problem with this is you have it backward. The horses that might be useful, i.e. younger, not starved, not lame, are sent to slaughter while the horses who are in no danger of being slaughtered, too old, too skinny, too sick, too lame, too blind, too small, too grey, etc. etc. are the ones marketed to bleeding hearts at hugely inflated prices so the KB can then go out and buy MORE marketable horses to fill his slaughter contract. Regardless of what horses go where no more horses go to slaughter than the buyers of the meat want. And if all those horses are unwanted, why aren't they all FREE?
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

9 members found this post helpful.

It was GG. And boy howdy, did they ever grow! Someone stated that they thought ac4h was wealthy while raising 700,000 - 800,000 per year. Well, GG and DEFHR both bring in well over $1 million/year. There is money in them thar starvin' horses!
    We are making sure that Maryland will soon have teams of 'visitors'

So did they ever find out where Honor Boy was buried?
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    It was GG. And boy howdy, did they ever grow! Someone stated that they thought ac4h was wealthy while raising 700,000 - 800,000 per year. Well, GG and DEFHR both bring in well over $1 million/year. There is money in them thar starvin' horses!
    We are making sure that Maryland will soon have teams of 'visitors'
    For the millionth time, the difference is that DEF and GG have many neglected and abused horses at their farms for whom they provide day to day care which costs money. That's what they do. Provide care to neglected and abused horses [like Polish Arabians out of Maryland for example], and rehabilitate them, and find them homes after months and months of doing that rehab and care.

IN FACT you yourself said that this isn't a cheap undertaking, would you like me to find that quote for you?

AC4H, not 4H, on the other hand is a middle man who takes in all that money but never has the horses [for whom the money comes in] in their care. Ever.

Big Difference.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

11 members found this post helpful.

I don't have any affiliations with rescues besides where I got my mini-donk from, and I've never been in side New Holland...

Why does AC4H have so many mini horses?

They AC4H, should have been banned from any posts on this board a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by summerhorse View Post
    So did they ever find out where Honor Boy was buried?
    I thought the person looking for him said he was okay and was hoping to get him once things were sorted out.

I haven't read every post since I'm using my phone. So what did I miss?!

Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    I would think that the pertinent question would be are the facilities being leased at a "fair market" price or at an inflated price?
    There is also the question of permanent improvements made to any property with rescue funds and who profits from those if the property is sold as well as who is benefiting from them in the meantime.

3 members found this post helpful.

GG and DEFHR both rake it in by the millions. Bigger than 4h has done! And I don't recall 4h charging anyone for 'volunteer hours' ! Oh yes, the petty jealousy among the various 'rescues' have reached new heights. All those vicious, vicious posts by certain rescues, even causing them to be banned from certain boards! One even had to hire a professional apologist who posts here for that big 'rescue' in absentia. Comical really, since they all follow nearly the same game plan. By the way, why were so many drafts involved in this 4h mess? Isn't there a 'rescue' which specializes in handling drafties for the hsus nearby?

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Think about that.
    Think about just that amount that they are handing Brian every month.
    Cha-ching.
    Awhile back when someone here turned me on to guidestar and the 990's, that was my reaction too! I think about what they are handing over to Brian and what he is handing back?

I also recall most likely in a previous thread that I think it is his parents they either rent from or rent the barn where they keep the rescues horses. Maybe on the 990.

Anyone know the Prices involvement in any of this?

I think it will be grand to look into all these scums. Go FBI
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    They AC4H, should have been banned from any posts on this board a long time ago.
    I think they were told to stop posting donation solicitations. Not just the woman in charge (Christy) of AC4H, but anyone else who wanted to publicize the horses available for purchase.
    Sheilah

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    And if it was a legitimate lease amount, there's nothing wrong with that. I know of several rescue orgs who lease the farms they are on from the President or other Board Members. There's nothing unusual about that... but then youve been told that before.
    That is unless the 'Save the Farm Fundraiser' actually benefits the farm OWNER rather than the 'rescue'...then it is 'income' to owner....but I am talking about Second Wind AP where that happened. And never any 501(c)3 paperwork filed...15 yrs she's been 'doing it' operating as a charity and not even with the guise of legality. But I digress.

Back on subject... I have been saying for YEARS that the $350-500 fees they ask for minis is NOT saving them from slaughter.For one thing, the $$s per pound makes no sense I had heard about the greys and what SLH wants skin on bone?

Does anyone think that KB who signed off on the paperwork ( link provided in posts above) should be prosecuted for lying...how can he say horses haven't had drugs for 60 days or not been exposed to communicable diseases...when he owns them for a week! It is the food chain..albeit not US. But we delude ourselves if we truly believe this doesn't happen with other slaughter bound animals and the meat we eat!

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    Why does AC4H have so many mini horses?
    Because they look cute and cuddly and it makes people say, "Awwww, poor little thing". And that makes them donate to "save" it. Anything that tugs at a heartstring.
    Sheilah

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post
    Does anyone think that KB who signed off on the paperwork ( link provided in posts above) should be prosecuted for lying...how can he say horses haven't had drugs for 60 days or not been exposed to communicable diseases...when he owns them for a week!
    I am too lazy at this point in the evening to go back and read the file again. I didn't read it too closely the first time. But I think I remember seeing a lot of qualifying language, i.e. "to the best of his knowledge", "believed to be", etc.
    Sheilah

Quote Originally Posted by RainyDayRide View Post
    There is also the question of permanent improvements made to any property with rescue funds and who profits from those if the property is sold as well as who is benefiting from them in the meantime.
    Hadn't thought of that, but interesting point. I don't know which entity would keep track of that? IRS, I guess?

I have made a few small donations here and there. I am a fan of Frog Pond Draft Horse Rescue, and they are very transparent. They also get criticized for not bailing every draft horse that shows up at an auction aka not taking on more horses than they can properly care for and especially for euthanizing horses. In other words, being responsible and doing the right versus the popular thing. Occasionally, there has been a plea for donations for a specific horse / situation outside of their normal operations; and those donations are tagged and, in a case where money was raised for auction bail, but somebody stepped up to buy the horse; those donations were immediately refunded. They are picky about where their horses go, require checkups, and they will absolutely come reclaim the horses if there is a problem. Basically, they run a tight -- but very transparent -- ship, IMO.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

3 members found this post helpful.

Default Let's Not Get into a Pissing Contest over Who's Rescued the Most Horses

I don't know any of the people or the group involved here, but:

1. The biggest contribution each of us can make to legitimate horse rescues is: take good care of the horses we already own until they die/are euthanized. The legit rescues would LOVE to close down because they were no longer needed.

2. Just to throw a little positivity into the thread (buzzkill I know), I've adopted a horse and a three-legged rabbit from the Massachusetts SPCA's Nevins Farm, and I think their organization is excellent.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    Because they look cute and cuddly and it makes people say, "Awwww, poor little thing". And that makes them donate to "save" it. Anything that tugs at a heartstring.
    Sheilah
    I figured as much, but where are they all coming from? Why is there a surplus of mini horses in this area?

I under stand OTTB because there are so many and there are a lot of race tracks, but who is breeding and giving away all these tiny horses??

The Amish like to breed minis, and they do so in abundance. AC4H also breeds minis, or at least they did. Supposedly the sale of them would send the kids to college. Yeah, right.

Also, ac4h rents a bank barn with attached dry lot; that’s where the actual rescues live, all grouped together in a herd, including Christy’s personal mare [who also gets bred]. What I would like to know is how those people pay their family bills [you know, mortgage, food, clothing, personal effects, things like that] not affiliated with a rescue when no one works for a living. Money has to be coming from somewhere.
    The horse I bet on was so slow, the jockey kept a diary of the trip.
    Henny Youngman