The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Very true Angela.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Toadie what I think Secretariat2 was saying is that if horse flipping [you know, basically what AC4H did] is 'rescue', then so is what she does [buying TBs at the track]. That's all.
    So no, seems she meant exactly what I thought she meant.

Gee, I had no idea EPM is caused from running
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

1 members found this post helpful.

The FBI came to visit? Did they bring a bottle of wine or flowers?

The above statement from Christy was either written by her or by one of her family, etc. I cannot believe it was written by anyone who managed to pass the bar.
    The FBI breaks down your door(according to Christy) shoves you on the ground, holds a gun to your daughter's head , ransacks your house, removes boxes of evidence, records, computers, etc., the search warrant lists wire fraud, etc. and she tries to pass it off as a "visit" just like all the other agencies that have blessed her little operation.

And she is going tomorrow to see legal , ahem, council(the word is counsel). An operation as big as hers doesn't have a lawyer on speed dial? You wouldn't have your lawyer come immediately while the FBI was there?
    Maybe she doesn't know who the FBI is?

24 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Paragraph View Post

The above statement from Christy was either written by her or by one of her family, etc. I cannot believe it was written by anyone who managed to pass the bar.
    The FBI breaks down your door(according to Christy) shoves you on the ground, holds a gun to your daughter's head , ransacks your house, removes boxes of evidence, records, computers, etc., the search warrant lists wire fraud, etc. and she tries to pass it off as a "visit" just like all the other agencies that have blessed her little operation.

And she is going tomorrow to see legal , ahem, council(the word is counsel). An operation as big as hers doesn't have a lawyer on speed dial? You wouldn't have your lawyer come immediately while the FBI was there?
    Maybe she doesn't know who the FBI is?
    Since when are people with this much common sense posting around here? Thank heaven for some new brain cells on this board. Welcome to COTH.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

7 members found this post helpful.

Wow. Not a grey, not a pony, not a stallion and a whole lot of 10 year olds.

Well. I expect that if AC4H is in trouble for anything it's the interstate stuff, and I wonder if CBER is far behind? They used a similar model. Selling a product (specific pathetically attractive horses) to multiple individuals at a high markup and freely substituting other horses.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Paragraph View Post
    Thank you

2 members found this post helpful.

[edit] Thank goodness for the block feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    So no, seems she meant exactly what I thought she meant.

Gee, I had no idea EPM is caused from running
    Last edited by Moderator 1; May. 2, 2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: personal commentary

3 members found this post helpful.

So you don't think feeding and caring for a disabled OTTB horse for 12 years counts as saving a horse, but flipping thousands of them into questionable homes for a profit does?

And I've put Ms. Toadie on Ignore. You too.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    [deleted post]
    Last edited by Moderator 1; May. 2, 2013 at 03:01 PM.

9 members found this post helpful.

I've decided anyone with a 7 in their username, will just be automatically blocked by me .

24 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    I've decided anyone with a 7 in their username, will just be automatically blocked by me .
    LOL...

Taking the long view here and following the money.

If Christy is saving horses (I own one of them) but is doing it in a shady way through a non-profit, she gets the attention of the feds because they think she is ripping off the government--maybe she should not be tax exempt so they want their tax money and they figure they can get some out of her.

But Kelsey Lefever who basically took giveaway horses from naive people under the guise of giving or finding them good homes but instead gleefully sent them to slaughter but seemingly paid taxes on the profit she made, the feds are just fine with that because they got their money in taxes paid.

So the feds don't give a [crap] about what happens to the horses or what unsuspecting horse person gets ripped off by these people as long as they (the government) can get money from either taxes, or fines or seizing property from prospective felons

Is that about right?
    Last edited by Moderator 1; May. 2, 2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: language

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post

If Christy is saving horses (I own one of them) but is doing it in a shady way through a non-profit, she gets the attention of the feds because they think she is ripping off the government--maybe she should not be tax exempt so they want their tax money and they figure they can get some out of her.

But Kelsey Lefever who basically took giveaway horses from naive people under the guise of giving or finding them good homes but instead gleefully sent them to slaughter but seemingly paid taxes on the profit she made, the feds are just fine with that because they got their money in taxes paid.

So the feds don't give a [crap] about what happens to the horses or what unsuspecting horse person gets ripped off by these people as long as they (the government) can get money from either taxes, or fines or seizing property from prospective felons

Is that about right?
    Depends what laws they are able to apply. There are plenty of fabulous people working in federal law enforcement who don't have a law they can use to prosecute horrible people they would like to lock up.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; May. 2, 2013 at 03:02 PM.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post

Is that about right?
    Well yes...we're talking wire fraud, not horse stealing and deception. I would expect they wouldn't have jurisdiction.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; May. 2, 2013 at 03:03 PM.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

Default Just another two cents worth

You cannot use donations to a non profit to benefit a private party or business as in the feedlot and owners. . Its against the IRS rules. If she has no outside income and is claiming no income from the broker sales she is not paying income tax. There are a lot of rescues that are doing this . I dont understand why the IRS has not shut all of them down. Inurement and self dealing are against IRS rules for non profits.

Rescues have to compete with each other for donations They bad mouth each other , try to out do each other with the worst poster child horse, biggest save, skinniest horse , saddest story it's a competiton to get your attention and donations. People who probably started out as decent do gooders know they gotta play the game or quit. Who's fault is it?

Do I blame the rescues?. Sorta but considering that the real rescues who rehab and retrain horses and actually take the time to meet the adopters and make sure it is a good match for horse and owner can't get your attention unless they play along . So all the people caught up in the dramatic rescue stories are to blame too .

Everybody runs to the rescue page or facebook with the big story , sad picture, outrageous bad owner story etc etc. We all do it , it's human nature but if you are going to throw money at the ones with the biggest show and story than it's expected that some of them are goign to cross the line. So now we have tons of people in bed with killbuyers instead of outbidding them at auction. Dishing out horses to whoever has money instead of thoroughly checking horse and owner out for compatability.

All of these sideshow rescues have made things soooo much worse for horses and real horsepeople in rescue . Those horses go right back to the auction when they don't work out . The owners think all rescue horses must be crazy or lame and don't want to ever adopt again. These horses just keep reapeating the trips from auction to rescue to bad home and eventually to slaughter anyway Obviously not all ,some luck out but most are bought by some emotional person who doesnt realize the purdy dreamhorse in the picture might have an actual personality or illness that they didnt plan on.
    We can go through 20 applications and meetings before we find one person that is a pretty good match for a horse. What are the odds that is happening weekly over the internet for thousands of horses >? Oh and they live for 20 30 40 years . Dont tell me they saved horses they sold them

So no I dont think you should count their saves as real saves or any kind of a save at all. They delayed it a bit and made some tax free money for themselves and the very killbuyer that is supposed to be the horse lover's enemy They made you feel good about your donation . You paid for a story the pat on the back you gave yourself for helping horses. You dont want to think hard about where that horse ended up or if they ever made it off the truck. That would take commitment You wanted a quick fix to make your feel like you saved horses . The irony of giving money to a killbuyer and thinking youre helping horses floors me . You helped the killbuyer and a rescue that was too lazy , unethical or greedy to do what any real rescue should do . period end of sentence

Go to the freaking auction yourself , seriously they are every week help some desperate horse person that might tell you about the horse instead of fake rescues and kill buyers. Its amazign this has to be pointed out to people
    Last edited by sassysmom; May. 1, 2013 at 07:13 PM.

25 members found this post helpful.

This will be my last 2 cents worth on this issue.

Everyone is up in arms about this "scammer" who BTW is a middle class nobody just like the rest us. Talk about low hanging fruit. Easy beans for Feds, just like the rest of us. Meanwhile, the REAL scammers are still busy hoarding all their cash in the Cayman's while the bought and paid for Feds worry themselves with AC4H. You want and need justice, stop picking on the little guys breaking the same laws as the big guys. Sheez... she hasn't done anything those big corp psychopaths do everyday of their lives.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Wow. Not a grey, not a pony, not a stallion and a whole lot of 10 year olds.

Well. I expect that if AC4H is in trouble for anything it's the interstate stuff, and I wonder if CBER is far behind? They used a similar model. Selling a product (specific pathetically attractive horses) to multiple individuals at a high markup and freely substituting other horses.
    There were some stallions: sex is M, F, N which would be Male, Female, Neutered.

I am trying to figure the breeds?
    DE
    PE
    PF

I assumed
    TB and TH both Thoroughbred
    QH Quarterhorse
    SN Standardbred?
    PN Paint?
    BL Belgian?
    DF Draft?
    AP Appaloosa? or American Paint?
    AS American Saddlebred?

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    This will be my last 2 cents worth on this issue.

Everyone is up in arms about this "scammer" who BTW is a middle class nobody just like the rest us. Talk about low hanging fruit. Easy beans for Feds, just like the rest of us. Meanwhile, the REAL scammers are still busy hoarding all their cash in the Cayman's while the bought and paid for Feds worry themselves with AC4H. You want and need justice, stop picking on the little guys breaking the same laws as the big guys. Sheez... she hasn't done anything those big corp psychopaths do everyday of their lives.
    The difference is that Cri$ty didn't have the money to buy off Congress...so she wasn't able to make sure the laws favor her particular brand of fraud. I'm guessing a lot of the fat cats fly pretty close...but just don't completely cross the line.

Don't like it? Let Congress know.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

well, I have not been around in several days, and this news was quite the shocker to me...never thought anything would be done about the questionable things going on with that organization.

3 members found this post helpful.

Default Extra horses?

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    [edit]
    What extra horses? Are you calling the horses you donated to twice their normal price to the killbuyer to put aside extra horses? There are no extra horses. There are horses that go to slaughter based on demand . Stop kidding yourself that you are saving horses from slaughter , you're just helping him pick which ones go on the truck and which ones he can make extra from . I'd guess they use the cutest , colorful or popular breeds to take pictures of for the website. They arent extras they are bait for suckers

The way I see it and probably how it would look on the big picture if you could look beyond your rose colored glasses to what damage you are really doing . The people that gave money to a kill buyer so he can stay in business and run out to buy a lot more horses are the ones doing the most damage to horses. Blood is on your hands for keeping him in business and making a bigger profit. Well played kill buyer what a genius
    Last edited by Moderator 1; May. 2, 2013 at 03:05 PM.

19 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by D_BaldStockings View Post
    There were some stallions: sex is M, F, N which would be Male, Female, Neutered.

I am trying to figure the breeds?
    DE
    PE
    PF

I assumed
    TB and TH both Thoroughbred
    QH Quarterhorse
    SN Standardbred?
    PN Paint?
    BL Belgian?
    DF Draft?
    AP Appaloosa? or American Paint?
    AS American Saddlebred?
    BL comes up as a draft type, cross referencing the shipper statement by the fitness certificate so Belgian is probably correct. PE probably Percheron, same thing. I can't read the page after page, it's too depressing.

What hip numbers are PE and DE and DF, or could that be bad printing?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible