The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    Is it possible you didn't get my sarcasm? Or am I missing yours?

Oops! Missed it.

Truly, the presence of lucrative scams (that I never seem to get a piece of) screws up my sense of what is possible and what is not.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm curious- about people saying how horses disappear or are sold more than once. On the website there is a mare named "Skin Tight Jean" and they say that she was sold at auction against the adoption contract and was repurchased by them- and that charges are being filed... Is there any way to find out if indeed charges are being filed? Did someone ever get that horse and resell her? Or is the whole story a cyclical scam using the same horse?
    http://www.ac4h.com/ac4havailablehorses.htm

probably a scam using the same horse. I highly, highly doubt that they ever look into any horse they ever "rescued" and "adopted" out. There was a fellow AC4H rescue horse being kept at my barn and, he was actually very nice, but they never once looked into him. They don't care once money is sent and the horse is "gone"

4 members found this post helpful.

I just find it horribly odd that they would find the exact same, plain bay horse, on the exact same killbuyers lot after being re-sent through the exact same auction (new holland). Nothing adds up

Quote Originally Posted by Secretariat2 View Post
    Well I've saved 5 OTTBs myself. You seem to think that AC4H was doing some kind of public service. Anyone who goes to the track and buys an OTTB is "actively involved in a rescue movement that ACTUALLY saves any horses". Same for people who buy horses at auction or Craigs List. I didn't even have a problem with Camelot. At least the horses had food and water and you didn't have to go to a shed in the middle of nowhere to pick up the horse. I agree that AC4H are not the only villains in "rescue" but they are probably the worst.
    Why do you think that because you bought a horse that WAS a race horse, that you are "saving", or "rescuing" it? I've bought, or been given, over a dozen OTTBs. I never said I was rescuing any of them. You BOUGHT the horses for presumably a different career. If you bought a horse from a H/J trainer to be a dressage horse, would you tell people you rescued it?

Sorry, not all race track connections are crooked, so I don't like this assumption. Now, back to your regularly scheduled program
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

15 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I'm guessing that a McMansion with a Lexus in the driveway might have had a bad impact on donations

Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter87 View Post
    not showing it on the outside is the whole point. They try and paint the biggest lie they can on the outside. They find ways to use the money

6 members found this post helpful.

Well look who has crawled out from under a rock on AC4H's facebook page.

Devorah Aikman
    I wonder if Cheryl Hanna will give this the same publicity that she falsely has slandered me for the past 3 years?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Secretariat2 View Post
    Yes, I'm guessing that a McMansion with a Lexus in the driveway might have had a bad impact on donations
    So true.
    The Feds should look in the freezer, Omaha Steaks anyone?
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Why do you think that because you bought a horse that WAS a race horse, that you are "saving", or "rescuing" it? I've bought, or been given, over a dozen OTTBs. I never said I was rescuing any of them. You BOUGHT the horses for presumably a different career. If you bought a horse from a H/J trainer to be a dressage horse, would you tell people you rescued it?

Sorry, not all race track connections are crooked, so I don't like this assumption. Now, back to your regularly scheduled program
    Toadie what I think Secretariat2 was saying is that if horse flipping [you know, basically what AC4H did] is 'rescue', then so is what she does [buying TBs at the track]. That's all.

5 members found this post helpful.

I have great news, someone contacted me and they are going to take Bobby's Honor if it comes to that as the FBI investigate. She knows the horse, and agrees that he is a good one.

If the horses are seized at some point, I will contact the authorities and see if I can help promote the others.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Petty jealousies? My friend sent her $550 dollars last week for a pony. Then Christy said, oops, sorry, the pony was "direct bailed" the day before. As if the jargon makes it somehow legit. Petty jealousy? Are you serious?
    I hope that your friend has contacted the authorities. It's not the first time Christy has done this, it was exposed here on COTH in the past.
    I'd have to guess that this is the reason for the FBI involvement, her other stuff was shady, but not on this level.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    This where we differ Angela. I have always stated Slaughter is ONLY one piece of the puzzle. I am always happy when a person is able to save one..it has been the anti crowd who have wanted or demanded pro slaughter to save them all.

Those two ladies who saved one pregnant broodmare. Nothing but a harumph from the anti and cheers from the pro.

This is very interesting coming from you.

First of all many horses ended up at slaughter or worse anyway, regardless of AC4H intercepting them... or perhaps because of.
    Horses who were misrepresented, horses who were drugged and either crazy, lame or both but no one knew that cause before they evaluated the horse thoroughly, AC4H flipped it for a profit for ol Bri.

Should these horses be saved also? Jdnm and her buddies seem to think so..Every horse is a wanted horse and only misrepresented so the evil kill buyers will get them.

As for many of us. We have preferred that breeders or owners of too many horses (many times seniors) get some confidential help in placing their horses. PLACING them..and for a lot less than 4H was charging or DEFHR and their adoption with no ownership was offering.

My complaint with 4H was their crying the slaughter blues...help help help..this horse will go to slaughter and will be tortured and killed in an inhumane manner.

NOW we are lead to understand that YOU admit there are things worse than slaughter AND maybe they made the boogie man out of slaughter to pad their own bank accounts.

Thank you...

Laura K...I am not defending them as I have gone on record on TROT stating those were sale prices..not rescue.

I am however giving her credit for actually saving a lot of horses..which appeared to be verified on TROT.

You can't figure out whether or not to condemn me for slaughter or wanting to save a horse. The trucks are ALWAYS going to be full as there are 100,000 excess horses available RIGHT NOW. But she did save some. I thought THAT was part of the anti slaughter solution. Save the one horse at a time..but you, Jenm are all cheering for the wrong reason. But I am willing to bet NONE of you will be in there saving any.

Mary aka Sunridge and I have seen some wonderful horses saved..and matched up with their papers.

Before you ban a person or cheer their demise you had better have something in place to do the work they were.

This truly is ironic. Laura and group would HOLD THEIR NOSE for HSUS on the TWH soring thread stating they GOT THE JOB DONE...and now...here was a lady who was making "too much money" BUT she GOT THE JOB DONE.

Made a boogie man out of slaughter but she saved horses..and in particular..some amazing ASB's.

Have a go ladies. I understand there is going to be an opening for someone to start a similar type rescue. Step up to the Plate.

Or maybe it is easier to condemn everything..save nothing..and believe you are important and always right.
    First of all you can not possibly know enough to pass judgement, on who here posting on COTH is doing or not doing what to help horses.

Second of all, here again is the FOIA documents of one year of shipments Brian Moore sent to slaughter.
    Look at the AC4H Broker page, note the minis they are hawking just his week, and then show me on those documents where you see a single mini, pony, or grey horse.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/foia/foia_...1%2FVeterinary +Services+%28VS%29%2F11-020+-+Owner+Shipper+Papers+for+Horses+Shipped+to+Slaugh ter+by+or+for+Brian+Moore&breadcrumb=%7C2011%7CVet erinary+Services+%28VS%29% 7C11-020+-+Owner+Shipper+Papers+for+Horses+Shipped+to+Slaugh ter+by+or+for+Brian+Moore

The horses Brian marketed through AC4H were horse he could not fill his slaughter plant shipment with, but horses he knew he could hawk online to make a nice fat side income on.

10 members found this post helpful.

Actually, when I saw the story about this raid I thought it was because of my friend (I thought, wow, they don't know who they're messing with! when she told me what happened)...but I don't honestly know what finally tipped off the feds. My friend did indeed contact the authories, and it was in the last couple of weeks, not last week like I said earlier.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    First of all you can not possibly know enough to pass judgement, on who here posting on COTH is doing or not doing what to help horses.

Second of all, here again is the FOIA documents of one year of shipments Brian Moore sent to slaughter.
    Look at the AC4H Broker page, note the minis they are hawking just his week, and then show me on those documents where you see a single mini, pony, or grey horse.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/foia/foia_...or+Brian+Moore

The horses Brian marketed through AC4H were horse he could not fill his slaughter plant shipment with, but horses he knew he could hawk online to make a nice fat side income on.
    Wha happened to your link?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Oh good grief. I bought my OTTBs from very reputable track people. I was saving them because I provided a way for the good people in racing to rehome their horses without having to pay for their retirement or ship them off to auction. The trainers needed the horses gone. If someone like me hadn't come along their choices were euthanasia, the auction or the meat man or paying for what could be a lengthy retirement. I haven't resold any of them (although I don't think that is a bad thing to do). They are all basically retired on my farm. One is my Chocolate whose 11 wins left him with two bad ankles and epm at the age of 5. He is still living happily with me at age 17. I think I can say I "saved" him. I'm grateful that his racing connections listed him on CANTER to give him a chance. When you take a horse off the track that is one less that could easily end up in the clutches of someone like AC4H. And paying a trainer struggling to make a living on the track or even just taking a horse off their hands is a far better way to go than greasing the palms of a kill buyer or a crooked "rescue". There are thousands of TBs needing a place to go. It is not simply a matter of a career change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Why do you think that because you bought a horse that WAS a race horse, that you are "saving", or "rescuing" it? I've bought, or been given, over a dozen OTTBs. I never said I was rescuing any of them. You BOUGHT the horses for presumably a different career. If you bought a horse from a H/J trainer to be a dressage , would you tell people you rescued it?

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I don't even know... you have to copy the whole thing and paste it... then wait hours for it to load.... but it's worth it. Very enlightening.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    not Angela Freda, but this should be the fixed link. (a bunch of spaces got inserted so it broke the link, hopefully this method works better)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    not Angela Freda, but this should be the fixed link. (a bunch of spaces got inserted so it broke the link, hopefully this method works better)
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/foia/foia_...1%2FVeterinary +Services+%28VS%29%2F11-020+-+Owner+Shipper+Papers+for+Horses+Shipped+to+Slaugh ter+by+or+for+Brian+Moore&breadcrumb=%7C2011%7CVet erinary+Services+%28VS%29% 7C11-020+-+Owner+Shipper+Papers+for+Horses+Shipped+to+Slaugh ter+by+or+for+Brian+Moore

That's a really interesting document. Thanks for sharing.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Oh geez, Christy made a statement on FB, she just doesn't know when to stop.

"This is Christy - sorry haven't been online. We have met with Animal Control officers, APHIS, IRS, Animal Crimes division (State) and through the years meeting with the government officials have been told that what we are doing is sufficient and correct. Today as you have heard in the news the FBI came to visit and as the other government agencies have done they are reviewing our work. Although in my opinion it was extremely excessive and dramatic- Our Bank accounts are not frozen, No charges have been filed, although we could not list horses today and pickup is cancelled for tomorrow, as we meet with legal council - Another Chance 4 Horses, Inc., continues without restriction to rescue and save the lives of horses. Thank you for your support and prayers"

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    Oh geez, Christy made a statement on FB, she just doesn't know when to stop.

"This is Christy - sorry haven't been online. We have met with Animal Control officers, APHIS, IRS, Animal Crimes division (State) and through the years meeting with the government officials have been told that what we are doing is sufficient and correct. Today as you have heard in the news the FBI came to visit and as the other government agencies have done they are reviewing our work. Although in my opinion it was extremely excessive and dramatic- Our Bank accounts are not frozen, No charges have been filed, although we could not list horses today and pickup is cancelled for tomorrow, as we meet with legal council - Another Chance 4 Horses, Inc., continues without restriction to rescue and save the lives of horses. Thank you for your support and prayers"
    I'm going to guess that is not a statement made by Christy but written for Christy... her writing tends to make those of us who were English Majors cringe

16 members found this post helpful.