The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

I agree with your assessment that rescues function as 'brokers' and there is nothing wrong with that. Where I differ with you is that the 'rescues' enjoy tax-exempt status while the kb enjoys no such break and must pay the taxes. We are about to see one of the biggest changes in horse welfare in 100 years and it won't be pretty. All of those governmental entities, (counties, townships, cities) which have been on the hook for caring for all those excess horses left abandoned in their jurisdictions can't afford the tab. Tax exemptions will be very hard to come-by and most that have been granted will be revoked. The excess horses will be sent to slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    As much as I hate to agree with Fairfax, there will be many ASB's with real identities that will never get pulled. She pulled them FOR the rescue group. I have horses out there that I've sold and AC4H's was one of my watches along with Camelot. More Saddlebreds will be dead is what I see, unless they go to the Amish. I will with hold my judgement until ALL the facts are presented.
    There are people who are at Camelot, NH and Unadilla every sale.
    They can keep their eyes peeled for you if you want to save ASBs... just contact them, tell them what you want, and have your credit card ready.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

13 members found this post helpful.

Looking forward to Analise trying to justify this whole raid thingy. She is in a very untenable position. Her silence indicates a need to do research and receive approval from her queen bee before she posts. I feel bad for her as I know she means well, but the investigators no longer have blinders on.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    The FBI is involved because of tax evasion/wire fraud or some multi-state criminal activity.
    Well when enough people complain that they've paid for a horse that AC4H then claims was sold, but they don't get their money back, that seems to be a serious issue .
    It just happened to a friend last week.

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    But, the horse you got wasn't always the horse you thought you were getting...not a very honest "rescue" or broker owned business for that matter
    And I don't necessarily believe that it's 100% the fault of AC4H. They see each horse for 10-15 minutes at a time and base the information on what they're able to gain from the auction records and dealer/broker and also what they're able to infer from their own experience.

Any horse bought from a dealer/broker or auction setting is bought caveat emptor. That's the nature of the beast. If you can't accept that as what it is, you should find a different means for acquiring a new horse.

I for one had a good experience with AC4H and Christy. They were more than forthcoming with me and very helpful in getting my big guy home. Until more information is known, I'm not taking a stand for or against their actions because I don't know the very intimate details that led to the feds involvement. I don't think any of us do. I'm staying neutral until the fog lifts, information is released and we can see everything clearly.

My thoughts are with the family - especially the children. This must be a very confusing and stressful time for them. Even if Rick and Christy strayed from their original mission and made mistakes that led to this end, it's a heavy burden for the kids to bear.

4 members found this post helpful.

Thinking about the way they take "donations", while people think they are "buying" a horse....it all walks the money laundering line. Especially if they actually have refunded "donations" when people threaten to squeal on them. I'm not sure anyone has ever been refunded, but there is so much chaos and money and horses switching hands, I'm really glad that they are being investigated so these questions can finally (hopefully) be answered.

7 members found this post helpful.

Snowflake,
    Your post is fantastic! Clearly, there was much good done by Christy and she did save many animals from slaughter. And who knows how much of that negative static is just the wannabe's who have never been happy with any deal, or actually believe in 'heart horses' and unicorns.
    If the feds can prove ac4h has violated some law, then you may rest assured that nearly every horse rescue group has done the same.
    Until then, Christy should be held up as having saved many more horses than most of the posters here who would have her drawn and quartered! Petty jealousies may have brought down the entire rescue system in the U.S. when this is all over and done.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    If the feds can prove ac4h has violated some law, then you may rest assured that nearly every horse rescue group has done the same.
    Doesn't follow at all.

18 members found this post helpful.

Petty jealousies? My friend sent her $550 dollars last week for a pony. Then Christy said, oops, sorry, the pony was "direct bailed" the day before. As if the jargon makes it somehow legit. Petty jealousy? Are you serious?

22 members found this post helpful.

Don't feed the trolls...they're just here for attention. Put them on ignore and we'll be able to keep the thread on topic.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

20 members found this post helpful.

Many 'rescues' have been doing interstate fund-raising via contract direct marketers. You can expect that will be used to bring them down by the feds.
    Sounds like there are many folks who don't know how to make a deal on a horse, and that is the problem. Buyer's remorse sets-in and they go to the interwebs to pitch a fit.
    In the end, ac4h was a 'rescue' and that has all rescues quaking in their boots!

I hope your friend is able to avail herself to the investigation.

I don't think it's blindness- I think it's purposeful misdirection. And this "blame the victim" stuff...that seems like AC4H MO. When I read the story of Luckyallmylife and how suddenly the buyer was being blamed for causing the slaughter of scores of OTTtbs because she just wanted to pick her horse up? Oh yeah- that's rich. Not know how to make a deal on a horse?... what the heck is that supposed to mean- you pay money- you get horse- what part of the deal making process involves some other person getting the horse you pay for?

16 members found this post helpful.

Looking forward to Analise trying to justify this whole raid thingy. She is in a very untenable position. Her silence indicates a need to do research and receive approval from her queen bee before she posts. I feel bad for her as I know she means well, but the investigators no longer have blinders on.
    I have been reading the thread but I've got nothing to say about AC4H as I've never been involved with them beyond looking at their broker pages from time to time. I don't know why you're expecting me to 'justify' anything here?
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

16 members found this post helpful.

I have several of these horses from AC4H and yes the FBI needed to be called in. I like what they did but not how it was done and they took way more then you would belive on the same horse over and over and it did not carry over with the horse. One horse was sold or donated over and over and it went POOF.. never to be seen again or where it went. Please dont be fooled by them. It sicken me to see what conditon some of them went thur waiting to be taken away on some Monday. I adore the ones I got but all needed a year to come back to being normal horses again.

18 members found this post helpful.

Analise,
    I was curious because I saw how you were posting the ac4h headlines and links to mulitple other sites yesterday. Thought you saw the irony in how closely ac4h's business plan matches your chosen 'rescue' for which you have openly admitted you serve as official poster.

Really people, just ignore the ones who need to be ignored. They're baiting us for attention. Don't take the bait.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

10 members found this post helpful.

Nobody is baiting anyone. Obviously, there are many who sing the praises of ac4h. Much good has been done by Christy. Like it or not, most of the complaints come down to the same point: someone made a bad deal and was embarrassed and complained on the internet.
    Christy mirrored the big 'rescues' tactics and this is why so many of those who used to adamantly defend any/all rescues are keeping their powder dry. Ac4h is just the first stop on a merrygoround with at least 2 stops in Maryland, maybe more! Watch CL and other sites as most of the other 'rescues' begin to rid themselves of excess horses. Sad but true.

Yeah and Hitler made the trains run on time. So she was a crook and a thug. She threatened people. One of her signature moves was to go check into the background of anyone who asked too many questions and look for ways to attack them. But some horses (if they were lucky) got saved after she extracted her pool money. But many, many horses ended up at places like HMER and starved to death. So hey, what's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy's Girl View Post
    AC4H is described (by itself) as a broker owned program. I was never confused that they were basically a clearing house for horses in imminent danger of slaughter - I've never read anywhere that they had pens of horses in dedicated long-term care. The thing is, they got their hands dirty - and saved horses. How many? Who knows? But wouldn't a few be enough? As for making some money off of the horses they sold, perhaps that's why they did what they do for so long - a rescue mentioned in this thread closed because of lack of funds - how are they helping now? In a perfect world it would be great if maybe AC4H's profit margin was smaller, but ultimately, they met the goal of saving horses. And anyone who purchased from them knew they were getting a horse that had been run through auction, and all of the problems associated with it - if you had buyer's remorse that was tough, but you knew what you were getting into.

I personally think that her operation, while not squeaky clean or morally unimpeachable, moved more horses as a "rescue brokerage" than a static rescue can manage. If that earned her a pool for hot days, then so be it.

5 members found this post helpful.

I first ran afoul of the so charming Ms. Christy when I asked how she managed to make a living. I was accused of having an agenda and promptly banned from Mr. Brown's forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    In fact, according to AC4H's 990 from 2010 (the last year on file), Christy Sheidy worked an average of 70 hours per week for ZERO compensation. Her husband also received no compensation, according to the 990. Surely, they must be saints

6 members found this post helpful.

Sadly, I think this is true. In this wreck of an economy, it may be the only way left to make money from horses. The price of grain is so high that it is all I can do to take care of my 7 horses.

Sketcher,

Save yourself some time and headaches and just admit that brokers/traders are identical to your favorite rescues, except that the rescues receive tax-exempt status. Folks hate to admit it, but that is the bare truth. Claiming that they 'rehab' them is silly as they continue to raise funds and post photos of progress along the way. And when a horse no longer fills the bill for fundrasing, look what happens! They knock them down, then say how sad they are that they had to say goodbye. Scammers, charlatans and racketeers have taken over the 'rescue' field and made it the fastest growing industry in the U.S.