The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

This is all over my Facebook page now. This is good I've been saying here for years that fake rescues can be prosecuted under the mail and wire fraud statutes. Angela Freda, I know you are one of the ones who understands this. Kudos to the FBI and U.S. Attorney's Office in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania for leading the way, and I can only hope other jurisdictions will have the guts to conduct similar investigations/prosecutions of other fake rescues. I don't want to say much more because I don't want to assume or jinx this.

8 members found this post helpful.

Please, COTH-ers, don't let Fairfax and her obsessive agenda derail this thread. That's what the ignore function is for

18 members found this post helpful.

Disco,
    What a very strange comment! I've found Fairfax and her comments to be nothing but insightful and broad-based. He/she has the life experience of 20 average coth posters and brings a track record of enormous success in saving/rehoming horses. I must wonder if you aren't a little concerned about the future of a couple of your favorite 'rescues' in light of ac4h's troubles! Many, many 'rescues' now stand in line for possible tax scrutiny, including many whose devotees and founders post here at coth. All those snarky comments about rescue 'a' versus rescue 'b' may help guide the investigators to your very favorite 'chosen' rescues.
    You had better hope that Fairfax doesn't decide to bring the entire lot of scam 'rescues' to their knees, simply by a simple phone call to officials. His knowledge of rescues from Texas and Oklahoma to Connecticut and Maryland could wipe out the majority of rescues in the U.S. It is no coincidence that a couple prolific posters have disappeared. They know the gig is up and they're business model was in fact identical to ac4h's.
    "Oh, gee, we have this skinny horse! Please send us money! More money!" Even though they may have already killed that horse, or raised so much more than necessary!
    And don't forget those 'rescues' who have shipped horses they seized down to Texas or Mexico for 'training'! It is going to be very interesting!

4 members found this post helpful.

I have no favorite rescues. I support zero rescues. I do support CANTER, which I don't consider a rescue. Giving my posting history and that I have repeatedly stated that I hope the feds will go after certain rescues with the full force of the RICO statutes, your statement is remarkably absurd. Well, now I have 2 people on my ignore list What a good start to my day!

13 members found this post helpful.

Putting one more person on my ignore list recently has vastly improved my COTH experience. I highly recommend it.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

18 members found this post helpful.

Yes, very mature! Run and hide! Better start calling your 'chosen' rescue(s) and start helping them to rehome the horses they have. The tax man cometh and we will see the rescue landscape slashed and burned.
    The future of 501c3 rescues was dim since the current administration is on the verge of disallowing any tax deductions for charities.
    I'll bet some draft folks are in a panic!
    The feds had several undercover investigators at nearly every auction for the past 15 months. The list will grow longer and longer, but I bet several of the 'rescues' which posted here are now drawing up dissolution papers and heading for the hills!

2 members found this post helpful.

A betting woman might invest in some sh stock since this will open the floodgates to slaughter. Many of the so-called 'rescues' will find themselves losing all personal property. Everything they thought would carry them into retirement will be snatched to pay for those nifty Obama phones!
    Wait 'til they look at some of the biggies. One in Maryland actually funds a retirement plan for the founder and chose property based on the need to house their founder!!! These were never items meant to be provided by 501c3 rescues and donors!
    Boy, what a coincidence that this precedes the major, major legal stormclouds gathering over Maryland right now! Or could this merely be the first volley in that approaching hellstorm.

AC4H is described (by itself) as a broker owned program. I was never confused that they were basically a clearing house for horses in imminent danger of slaughter - I've never read anywhere that they had pens of horses in dedicated long-term care. The thing is, they got their hands dirty - and saved horses. How many? Who knows? But wouldn't a few be enough? As for making some money off of the horses they sold, perhaps that's why they did what they do for so long - a rescue mentioned in this thread closed because of lack of funds - how are they helping now? In a perfect world it would be great if maybe AC4H's profit margin was smaller, but ultimately, they met the goal of saving horses. And anyone who purchased from them knew they were getting a horse that had been run through auction, and all of the problems associated with it - if you had buyer's remorse that was tough, but you knew what you were getting into.

I personally think that her operation, while not squeaky clean or morally unimpeachable, moved more horses as a "rescue brokerage" than a static rescue can manage. If that earned her a pool for hot days, then so be it.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy's Girl View Post
    AC4H is described (by itself) as a broker owned program. I was never confused that they were basically a clearing house for horses in imminent danger of slaughter - I've never read anywhere that they had pens of horses in dedicated long-term care. The thing is, they got their hands dirty - and saved horses. How many? Who knows? But wouldn't a few be enough?
    While other horses ship direct to slaughter out of the back pen from a race track you know has a zero tolerance policy? While she sells sick, lame, crazy horses to unsuspecting newbies who are then at risk for getting hurt not to mention the risk [of not being suited to what you were purchased to do] to the actual horse?
    If she saves SO MANY... 'how many stay saved' should be the next question.
    Is quantity really better than quality?

As for making some money off of the horses they sold, perhaps that's why they did what they do for so long - a rescue mentioned in this thread closed because of lack of funds - how are they helping now? In a perfect world it would be great if maybe AC4H's profit margin was smaller, but ultimately, they met the goal of saving horses.
    If you make any money from the rescue operation you run, claim it on the rescues 990s. I have not seen anyone argue that if it is your full time job to run the rescue, you shouldn't get paid for that work.
    To not claim the money you put in your own pocket though, is not legal.
    Christy has repeatedly claimed to not make a dime off the rescue while close to a million dollars funnels through her rescue paypal account to... where? Brians pocket?

And anyone who purchased from them knew they were getting a horse that had been run through auction, and all of the problems associated with it - if you had buyer's remorse that was tough, but you knew what you were getting into.
    When a horse dies on the side of the road before reaching the adopter, when a horse ends up at New Bolton being treated for pneumonia, when other horses are sick, or blind, or lame while the rescue claimed they were suitable for riding/driving.... and while the dealer [Moore] sells them, and they run through New Holland under the nose of a licensed Vet who should be enforcing the 'not suitable to work' sales regulation... no, sorry. People do not know what they are getting.

I personally think that her operation, while not squeaky clean or morally unimpeachable, moved more horses as a "rescue brokerage" than a static rescue can manage. If that earned her a pool for hot days, then so be it.
    Of course it moved more horses than rescues can... because rescues rehab them, Vet them, get their farrier work up to date, get them gelded and vaccinated and they leave the rescue with a health cert and a coggins...

Is it better to move more horses, even if half or more are not suited for what you sold them to be and the homes who bought them... such that they get flipped again to another unsuspecting boob with ready cash in hand?
    Or should, maybe, the horses welfare be taken into account and the horses be evaluated and rehab'd so that they find the most suitable home for what they can do so they stay in that home longer?
    Last edited by Angela Freda; May. 1, 2013 at 08:24 AM.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

25 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    If you make any money from the rescue operation you run, claim it on the rescues 990s. I have not seen anyone argue that if it is your full time job to run the rescue, you shouldn't get paid for that work. To not claim the money you put in your own pocket though, is not legal. Christy has repeatedly claimed to not make a dime off the rescue while close to a million dollars funnels through her rescue paypal account to... where?
    In fact, according to AC4H's 990 from 2010 (the last year on file), Christy Sheidy worked an average of 70 hours per week for ZERO compensation. Her husband also received no compensation, according to the 990. Surely, they must be saints

14 members found this post helpful.

From what I've seen and heard, AC4H got horses bought from auction and resold them at vastly inflated prices. Thing is, they usually marketed horses in bad condition (lame, sick, etc.) and/or aged from their KB(s), while the KB(s) kept the younger, fit, healthy, sound purchases to ship to slaughter as those were more cost effective to send to slaughter.

The horses then marketed by AC4H, by virtue of their (usually) bad condition/age, elicited the most sympathy from potential buyers to "save", not to mention making AC4H look like heroes for "stepping up" in "saving" that "poor horse" from slaughter.

So, for example, AC4H markets a horse for $550 that had been bought just days before at auction for $50. Those are actual figures I saw recently. Sure, that poor horse will be "saved from slaughter" by well-meaning folks, but that inflated profit will go towards buying another 4-5 horses that are better "fit" for slaughter, and that's where they go, directly. No one ever sees those horses.

So, saving that one horse sent several more directly to slaughter.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

21 members found this post helpful.

Angela,
    What about that 'rescue' that starting raising funds for a horse 'that had been beaten with a 2x4' but in reality, had cancer? What about that same rescue that claimed they had just taken in an abused, starved draft. Then they found out that the horse was over 30 years old and had no teeth, so they killed it! Do you mean that kind of rehab? I think you have a lot of explaining to do! The can of worms has been opened and some of your favorites will be the next to be exposed!

"Sure, that poor horse will be "saved from slaughter" by well-meaning folks, but that inflated profit will go towards buying another 4-5 horses that are better "fit" for slaughter, and that's where they go, directly. No one ever sees those horses."

Liberty, You have summed it up nicely. Some horses are simply best routed to slaughter as they have no other earthly purpose/use. Now, more will go directly to slaughter. No crime in that as long as the end is humane. Valley Meats is waiting for one final signature. Then they can help reduce the number of unwanted horses. Sad, but true!

AC4H is described (by itself) as a broker owned program. I was never confused that they were basically a clearing house for horses in imminent danger of slaughter - I've never read anywhere that they had pens of horses in dedicated long-term care. The thing is, they got their hands dirty - and saved horses. How many? Who knows? But wouldn't a few be enough? As for making some money off of the horses they sold, perhaps that's why they did what they do for so long - a rescue mentioned in this thread closed because of lack of funds - how are they helping now? In a perfect world it would be great if maybe AC4H's profit margin was smaller, but ultimately, they met the goal of saving horses. And anyone who purchased from them knew they were getting a horse that had been run through auction, and all of the problems associated with it - if you had buyer's remorse that was tough, but you knew what you were getting into.

Well, I suppose that is one interesting way to look at it.

Or you could look at the fact that she raised finds to 'rescue' horses, whenever possible letting the funds that were coming in exceed the amount that was needed to 'bail' the horse in a way that was quite shady. She was quite on top of asking for the money biut never quite on top of posting on her website that the fundas had been raised, even when repeatedly being called and emailed by multiply people to update the website so that attention could be diverted by the group for sipping the horse that had been 'bailed.

And if you feel that being a horse dealer under the guise of being a rescue is ok then that is fine. But the fact is that she was a dealer and worked closely with a kill buyer. Again, no problem with that but the horses people were buying from her were not preventing the slaughter horses from filling up the truck so to 'sell' horses under the guise that they were actually being rescued was a sham.

I guess you could then work around to convincing yourself that the end justifies the means and a little dishonesty would still be ok because it brought attention to some horses and found them homes.

Or hey, she is a busy woman so we can understand how she could be so quick to get those requests up on her website to raise funds but oh-so-very slow to update the site.

Or how difficult it must be to actually run a quarantine facility as claimed - you know, where a herd is closed for a specified period of time with no new auction horses added during this period. but eh, I guess it is not that fraudulent to tell people you are able to quarantine, take their board money for the quarantine period, and then send of potentially sick horses to their new, unsuspecting owners. Becasue even though she is a little 'shady' with the truth, in the end a few more horses get 'saved', right? The ends justify the means?

And I guess it is totally ok that she sold sick and elderly horses, you know, some of whom could not go on that truck to begin with due to their condition but eh, as long as someone thinks they are saving them from an awful last ride - even if it is not really true - at least the horse got a good home with an unsuspecting owner so the ends justify the means.

I mean, those new owners know that they should not really have any expectation for what they are getting when they purchase auction horses, sight unseen, right? So, if they aren't happy with the horse, or the few thousand in vet and resultant euthanasia and disposal costs then that is their problem because it is a lot to expect the 'rescue' organization to provide an honest and somewhat accurate set of eyes.

I mean geesh, this rescue allegedly had only thousands upon thousands of horses come through their hands but I guess that is not nearly enough experience for them to be able to pretty quickly size up what they have and any glaring health or soundness issues. I mean, after all, they are not vets..
    ( sarcasm).

So, yeah, I suppose they could have done something good if you ignore all the rest and thankfully they were also probably able to make a pretty decent and probably tax free living. But why should they have to fairly represent what they are selling and have to pay taxes on it like the rest of us? That just wouldn't be right for a horse rescue doing such good work.

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mumsie View Post
    This is not an audit and Christy is fulla if she thinks waving it away with a laugh about health certs is going to turn off this spotlight.
    She is not a stupid woman. She knows what she is doing. She is playing the 'they are the mean evil FBI and they are picking on me over something trivial' card, which will get her more support from her believers.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    ...Some horses are simply best routed to slaughter as they have no other earthly purpose/use...
    I disagree, and that's all I'm going to say as I'm not about to get into a pro/anti slaughter debate.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    me too. Wanna have a coffee? There's far too many a-holes in this area, I will buy the coffees to meet good people.
    Sure. I'm in Massachusetts though and assuming you are in PA? But maybe we could have a sleepover-for-the-sentencing party at the appropriate time if she doesn't figure out how to slip through the cracks somehow.

3 members found this post helpful.

Sketcher,

Save yourself some time and headaches and just admit that brokers/traders are identical to your favorite rescues, except that the rescues receive tax-exempt status. Folks hate to admit it, but that is the bare truth. Claiming that they 'rehab' them is silly as they continue to raise funds and post photos of progress along the way. And when a horse no longer fills the bill for fundrasing, look what happens! They knock them down, then say how sad they are that they had to say goodbye. Scammers, charlatans and racketeers have taken over the 'rescue' field and made it the fastest growing industry in the U.S.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    Sketcher,

Save yourself some time and headaches and just admit that brokers/traders are identical to your favorite rescues, except that the rescues receive tax-exempt status. Folks hate to admit it, but that is the bare truth. Claiming that they 'rehab' them is silly as they continue to raise funds and post photos of progress along the way. And when a horse no longer fills the bill for fundrasing, look what happens! They knock them down, then say how sad they are that they had to say goodbye. Scammers, charlatans and racketeers have taken over the 'rescue' field and made it the fastest growing industry in the U.S.
    There is nothing wrong in my mind with rescues acting as brokers. If they can pull horses from the auction, sell them and get enough money to pay their expenses on the ones who do not sell quickly, I do not see a problem with that.
    I don't care if their workers get paid. I don't care if they do not spend thousands in vet work or retrain or if they do not require a contract to supposedly protect the horse.

So what is your point? This thread is about AC4H. If there are other shady rescues then those can be dealt with as evidence is provided against them and the law enforcement agencies can be compelled to act.

If you and your friend are so intimately knowledgeable and Fairfax can supposedly shut down all these rescues across the country with one phone call, then shame on any of you for not acting.

Perhaps you can take a lesson fro the folks who worked hard to finally get AC4H addressed. It is not so simple as "picking up the phone".

So get out there, get those bad rescues shut down and make room for some reputable ones.

25 members found this post helpful.

And anyone who purchased from them knew they were getting a horse that had been run through auction, and all of the problems associated with it
    But, the horse you got wasn't always the horse you thought you were getting...not a very honest "rescue" or broker owned business for that matter
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

6 members found this post helpful.