The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

I hope she does jail time and I would gladly contribute to the case against her if I could.

8 members found this post helpful.

I think Fairfax's memory is a bit questionable. I recall many of those ASB 'rescues' were not going to a kill truck but to an Amish farm. Whether many of these horses actually needed to be rescued was never really clear. Often they had jobs and buyers, but not one's that the warm & fuzzy crowd deemed acceptable.

7 members found this post helpful.

Just to be clear here, I know Christy, she's not a friend, but someone I met. I am local to her, I know many people here. I met her husband, I also know Kelsey mentioned earlier, I am local to all these people.

Many things have been mentioned. I am not going to spend hours responding to all individually, but just generally.

Brian does own the horses, he bought them, and he can ABSOLUTELY ship them, as any horse owner can. It's not illegal for him to be a meat buyer, he is well within the law. All meat buyers bought and own the horses for the time before shipped.

Christy is a scammer, I am not surprised she put herself on TV proclaiming her innocence and still scamming. She's a worthless human being. Maybe she started out right and got greedy, I don't know, I don't care.

I am skeptical too about numbers saved, I think they were a massive fraud of horses double sold and then at an unknown location. The FBI will get em, it's not about health certs, or taxes, it's been a long time coming.

I am pro slaughter, because I don't know what the alternative is. But if I can find homes for horses slaughter bound, I will take on that role. No money ever sent to me. I am not interested in making money, or setting up a non profit, so I want no part of the money. I think I would fail though, because I need support, and for the slaughter men to work with me, they want money, heck they've made a killing from not killing the horses. Like $600 overnight. Honestly that annoys me, all that has happened is that he can buy a bigger holding pen, and is richer.

There's a horse she has, I care about. I went to see him when I first moved to PA and didn't know their scam. I was sent out to get him from the field, there were no halters available. I crackled a candy wrapper and he walked in with me. Very green, but a great personality. Bobby's Honor. I am really interested in trying to find him a soft landing when the Feds take the horses as I believe they will. I rode him back in about 2008-9, ish. I have liked the horse so I kept an eye on him, about a year ago he was back with AC4Hs. I don't know why. When I saw him, he was sound and sane. I would have taken him home, if I didn't get a bad vibe from Christy, and so walked away. There are videos of him now on their website, where he is greener than he was, I don't know what to say about that, maybe it's the volunteers riding him. He was for sure green, but not this green.

I am worried about his future, he was a darned nice horse that I would have taken. Sadly I board, at $375 a month, I can't afford more than one horse. I am not asking for any money, and I will borrow a trailer to get him to a good place, if someone is willing please message me. I have put this out on other horse boards too. If I could afford a second horse, I'd have him in a heartbeat, I can't. If I average out farrier and board costs for one horse, I am at $500 a month, and that's without whatever vets bills come in. I'd just like to see horse with potential and a great personality land in a good place, if it should come to that.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Brian own the horses.
    I doubt he can ship them, and I'm sure if people want to still buy them from him, they can call him and do so... or he will [as he has done in the past] take them to Camelot tomorrow or NH on Monday.

For every horse 'saved' another went to slaughter in it's place.
    As you know the plants have a contract with these big dealers and the dealer/KB will fill the need... with these horses or others.
    I don;t understand why you think these horses or ASBs should be saved from slaughter when you yourself protest that it is humane and very worthwhile, especially since you [claim to have] volunteered at the slaughter plants and saw it with your own eyes how wonderful it is.
    This where we differ Angela. I have always stated Slaughter is ONLY one piece of the puzzle. I am always happy when a person is able to save one..it has been the anti crowd who have wanted or demanded pro slaughter to save them all.

Those two ladies who saved one pregnant broodmare. Nothing but a harumph from the anti and cheers from the pro.

This is very interesting coming from you.

First of all many horses ended up at slaughter or worse anyway, regardless of AC4H intercepting them... or perhaps because of.
    Horses who were misrepresented, horses who were drugged and either crazy, lame or both but no one knew that cause before they evaluated the horse thoroughly, AC4H flipped it for a profit for ol Bri.

Should these horses be saved also? Jdnm and her buddies seem to think so..Every horse is a wanted horse and only misrepresented so the evil kill buyers will get them.

As for many of us. We have preferred that breeders or owners of too many horses (many times seniors) get some confidential help in placing their horses. PLACING them..and for a lot less than 4H was charging or DEFHR and their adoption with no ownership was offering.

My complaint with 4H was their crying the slaughter blues...help help help..this horse will go to slaughter and will be tortured and killed in an inhumane manner.

NOW we are lead to understand that YOU admit there are things worse than slaughter AND maybe they made the boogie man out of slaughter to pad their own bank accounts.

Thank you...

Laura K...I am not defending them as I have gone on record on TROT stating those were sale prices..not rescue.

I am however giving her credit for actually saving a lot of horses..which appeared to be verified on TROT.

You can't figure out whether or not to condemn me for slaughter or wanting to save a horse. The trucks are ALWAYS going to be full as there are 100,000 excess horses available RIGHT NOW. But she did save some. I thought THAT was part of the anti slaughter solution. Save the one horse at a time..but you, Jenm are all cheering for the wrong reason. But I am willing to bet NONE of you will be in there saving any.

Mary aka Sunridge and I have seen some wonderful horses saved..and matched up with their papers.

Before you ban a person or cheer their demise you had better have something in place to do the work they were.

This truly is ironic. Laura and group would HOLD THEIR NOSE for HSUS on the TWH soring thread stating they GOT THE JOB DONE...and now...here was a lady who was making "too much money" BUT she GOT THE JOB DONE.

Made a boogie man out of slaughter but she saved horses..and in particular..some amazing ASB's.

Have a go ladies. I understand there is going to be an opening for someone to start a similar type rescue. Step up to the Plate.

Or maybe it is easier to condemn everything..save nothing..and believe you are important and always right.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    I think Fairfax's memory is a bit questionable. I recall many of those ASB 'rescues' were not going to a kill truck but to an Amish farm. Whether many of these horses actually needed to be rescued was never really clear. Often they had jobs and buyers, but not one's that the warm & fuzzy crowd deemed acceptable.
    Usually it was they would go back into a sale and the Amish would get them

I was involved with a couple of others during that time with our program...TAS was started..and then eventually dropped by the way side..but we did acquire and save many..without charging the dollars Christie did.

Nothing questionable about my memory as I was in the trenches and I made enough donations of $25.00 to top off a fund..to save a few horses

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Before you ban a person or cheer their demise you had better have something in place to do the work they were.
    She is a dishonest, thieving, foul mouthed thug. I guess you never had the pleasure to have crossed her. The rescue world is better off without her. I think she probably did place some horses as she would have had lots of contacts over the years so I guess it would have done her business some good to look legit when it would benefit her somehow.

But sorry, fundraising and continuing to take funds well past when the amount claimed to be needed is received and not giving an accounting to the group raising it because she will milk it for every penny she can...selling a very sick pony...taking money for quarantine when horses are not really quarantined and therefore putting healthy horses and pretty great risk.

Even if they can not prove any of these things illegal, hope they nail her to the wall for tax evasion or some kind of fraud. And I doubly hope she shot off that crass, foul mouth of hers to an FBI agent so they can see what trash they are truly dealing with. If they convict her, I will go watch the sentencing.

22 members found this post helpful.

https://tips.fbi.gov if you wish to tell the FBI your dealings with this group the lack of 501 k tax form is a start, sick horses across state lines and on it goes and the shape those horses are in when they finally get out of that place. It is very sad for the horses. I went back and forth on this too, but was it worth starving them till they got a home?
    http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...on&h=ZAQHwHG4I
    Last edited by ML; Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: more info

5 members found this post helpful.

Fairfax, maybe you are local? I see you are controversial? But I am local, and would like to help save the horses AC4Hs has when the Feds take them, as I think they will.

I can't house a horse, I board, and one is my financial capacity, unless it's a week or so, and my BO is willing.

I see you point a lot of fingers here, I don't post much, but I read a lot. Wanna help me?

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    If they convict her, I will go watch the sentencing.
    me too. Wanna have a coffee? There's far too many a-holes in this area, I will buy the coffees to meet good people.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    I had the exact same thought!
    If there is another use for a horse, any other use that does not cause suffering for horse and human (not hoarding for example), if a former owner or one who knows the horse wants an opportunity to buy the horse, that is wonderful.

On the other hand, if there is no open stall or pasture, no rescue stepping in, and the horse is truly unwanted by anyone willing to put money toward a horse, then slaughter is a way to end the horse's life without polluting the environment by burial of a toxic injection euthanised horse.

Most for slaughter people are not for killing a horse if there is another realistic way for the horse to stay alive.

This is why I am all for advertising all horses at auctions prior to sale, this gives interested people a chance to arrange to bid BEFORE the 'final solution' ends that horse.

Camelot has made a difference for quite a few horses simply by putting their pics on the internet.

Please lets not turn this into a slaughter thread; there are horses that will likely be going to nearby auctions since this particular profitable sale outlet is probably not going to continue.

5 members found this post helpful.

Add my voice to the happy rejoicing ones. This has been a loooonnnggg time coming--and more needs to happen, with other faux rescues.
    I burnt out, just watching helplessly over the past how many years, but I am glad that others didn't. "The truck is coming", and "just send money", while horses slip back out the back door. Hope Karma's a real bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    Usually it was they would go back into a sale and the Amish would get them

I was involved with a couple of others during that time with our program...TAS was started..and then eventually dropped by the way side..but we did acquire and save many..without charging the dollars Christie did.

Nothing questionable about my memory as I was in the trenches and I made enough donations of $25.00 to top off a fund..to save a few horses

1 members found this post helpful.

Jenm, Laura K and LuTB ////were you not part of the group DEMANDING that kill buyers be forced to sell ONE horse if there was a buyer at an auction or even after?

I did NOT agree with the way Christie conducted business but lets look at it from another direction. DEFHR and their grouyps sanctioned by HSUS RESCUE the horses and rehab them at 3000 dollars per month and more "as long as the person they seized them from has assets"

Didn't they juyst kill a 30 year old and didn't they advertise and seek donations for a horse GG..that was several abused by taking blows to the head..WHOOPS...it was CANCER..but they did not return any donations.

This group did save horses. You can question my memory all you want..but I did not like them BUT I also had to acknowledge they did save horses.

They got the troops rallied.

Izanalter whom all of the gleeful ladies rushed to support was a fan of theirs. That was why I was surprised when she was trying to hawk them over here.

Go over to TROT and look at the rescue (closed) forum...it is still there to read and you will see how many they saved..or at the very worst..tried to save..just no money to go around. (nope..she did not drop her prices

Bottom line..you dupport the rip off with "questionable but good books" i.e. GG , DEFHR..Paradise and others and you cheer over this problem and for the problems with others..but NONE of you save horses...oh..maybe one or two in your lifetime..but that is it.

HSUS does not want slaughter but they also don't want the horses saved one by one no matter what they and their troops on COTH say

3 members found this post helpful.

I wonder how many other 'rescues' will now change their modus operandi? Many big groups have been doing basically the same thing. One of the big ones recently listed a horse they claimed was abused/underfed. On the 2nd day they had him, a vet checked him and estimated that he was over 30 years old and only had a couple teeth left. The 'rescue' killed him after one week. But they had been raising money for his 'care' to rehab him from his abuse! I'll bet the feds will want to take a look at their operation too. It basically consists of outbidding the kb, then raising lots of money to 'rehab' the horse!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

What you describe is standard behaviour for many animal rescues. When I was doing dog rescue work, the women running the frontline work did similar dirty tricks to bring in the money for sob stories and then they would divert it elsewhere, often to be spent on their own personal dogs.
    SPACE FOR RENT

4 members found this post helpful.

One of the side consequences of the government hiring 16,000 new IRS agents for eventual use in enforcing Obamacare, is that they are now all dressed up with no place to go. Until next year, these new IRS employees will be able to hit non-profits by the hundreds. The government is upset that they are not bringing in enough money, so now they will go and get it. Some we'll agree with and there will probably be some which will surprise us. The government wants to do away with all 501c3 charities asap.

3 members found this post helpful.

Sad story fundraisers are nothing new. Look at the Dog/cat rescues that spend thousands of $$s on a kitten or puppy with slim chance of a 'normal life'...while hundreds of thousands of healthy animals are euthanized. It tugs at the heart and purse strings. No different in the horse rescue world.

Let's face it ...it is all business. I don't care what they do if they follow the laws and rules, are honest, do what they say they will and don't pay the staff outrageous salaries!

Sometimes it IS the best thing for the horse to euthanize it...but the funds need to be accounted for and used for a similar purpose if not for the exact...or returned if donation is specific.
    Last edited by uphill; Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM. Reason: claification

4 members found this post helpful.

I am glad to see the FBI stepping up to take a look at those soliciting & raising funds across states via PayPal. Google Stephanie Hanchett / A Ton of Love Draft Horse Rescue - with tons of pressure from people across the country, some action was finally taken locall; but IIRC, she basically got a hand slap from the local judicial system. I wish the feds had stepped up in that case.
    http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Horse...128417173.html

And, boy do I wish the Feds would get involved with Jill Burnell. While not a rescue, she allegedly defrauded a lot of people across the country.

These cases should be a cakewalk for the FBI to investigate as the donations are made from all over the country via PayPal &/or credit card -- well documented transactions vs. cash filled envelopes. And the solicitaions for donations are made electronically. So, the evidence is there.

There are honest, well run rescues that have independent boards of directors and are properly registered and licensed. And, I do not have any problem with non-profit rescues paying salaries - most non-profits have paid employees; salaries just need to be disclosed in financials that are available to donors and prospective donors. Transparency and professionalism are key. The dollars donated to the scam rescues will do a lot more good going to legitimate rescues.

Anyway, I think this is good news, and I hope we see a lot more fed action; because the local enforcement and punishment has been just about non-existent.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    Fairfax, maybe you are local? I see you are controversial? But I am local, and would like to help save the horses AC4Hs has when the Feds take them, as I think they will.

I can't house a horse, I board, and one is my financial capacity, unless it's a week or so, and my BO is willing.

I see you point a lot of fingers here, I don't post much, but I read a lot. Wanna help me?
    I am definitely not local..I am on the Montana border but I will help in any way I can. I have laughed about my 4000 plus "good friends or bet friends" on Facebook. The reason I am eliminating those who don't speak engoishy is due to their proximity AND I have been able to post some ASBS available for next to nothing to the Arabian Horse breeders as it is a very successful cross for the Arab in English Pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post
    Sad story fundraisers are nothing new. Look at the Dog/cat rescues that spend thousands of $$s on a kitten or puppy with slim chance of a 'normal life'...while hundreds of thousands of healthy animals are euthanized. It tugs at the heart and purse strings. No different in the horse rescue world.

Let's face it ...it is all business. I don't care what they do if they follow the laws and rules, are honest, do what they say they will and don't pay the staff outrageous salaries!

Sometimes it IS the best thing for the horse to euthanize it...but the funds need to be accounted for and used for a similar purpose if not for the exact...or returned if donation is specific.
    Humane Society of United States. They give around 5% or less of what they raise from donations for the puppies an kittens. They put their monogramed T-shirts on and claimed they had workers at Katrina saving pets. They did the same with Michael Vicks dogs (he is now a spokesperson)

Gentle Giants as they collected for a horse with cancer and no abuse. DEFHR the same type of scam AND they are on the military payroll deduction but they work with and for HSUS so everyone gives them a pass.

This crowd does not care if a horse is actually saved. They demand no more slaughter and then they demand don't make money..or accuse everyone else of corruption while they judge but do nothing.