The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I didn't walk the WEG, but from what I saw, it looked more difficult than all of the past Rolex courses I've walked.

In any event, this weekend is going to be VERY exciting start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    BFNE, do you really think that the WEG course was that much harder than the usual Rolex course?
    Yes. Hands down. As did several people I spoke with. It was very well designed and took out a lot of riders early on.

If you took the long options...no--not a super hard 4*, but the long options were very timely and took you way out of contention.

ETA: The biggest difference I saw at Burghley was really not the jumps and questions--which I think WEG 2010 was harder....but the footing at Burghley is just relentless. It is so undulating the entire time that there is just no let up...whereas KHP has such good nice turf for a great galloping.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I am very excited to watch and see what happens! I think Badminton being particularly difficult will work to Jung and Sam's advantage. Granted, I've never ridden the horse, or seen him in person for that matter, so I don't actually know how he is to ride. But watching Cross Country footage of Sam he appears to be very eager, confident, and clever on course while being extremely rideable at the same time. Sam is the definition of "cross country machine." Michael is such a lucky guy

But as riderboy put it, this is a sport of heartbreaks. Can't wait for Sunday!

All this is also happening at Badminton, which William Fox-Pitt has won "only" once before, and Andrew Nicholson has never won. Fox-Pitt has won Burghley 6 times, and I believe Nicholson has also won it several times. Does anyone remember who the other Grand Slam contenders were (those who won 2 in a row but not the 3rd)? Oliver Townend had won Badminton & Burghley, then fell at the hollow at Rolex. I think someone else lost by a rail in SJ one year? Was it Andrew Hoy? Clayton Fredericks? I can't remember.
    Last edited by vagabondrider; May. 1, 2013 at 12:15 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm very excited to see Clark go!
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Lest we forget the ONLY person to ever win the grand slam is running this year. Pippa Funnell has rehabbed Redesigned and that horse is so damn nice. I wish her the BEST of luck. Also very excited to see Clark and Tiana go!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    Can I ask what may be a dumb question? With so few 4*'s why are Rolex and Badminton back to back weekends? I mean clearly that eliminates a lot of riders with limited mounts and/or funds to be able to compete in both, right?
    Realistically, you can only do two 4* in a year, a spring and fall, just because of the effort required from the horse. Thus, spreading the events apart wouldn't actually help.

You can't run them much earlier, because the horses need to be fit and ready. Summer is too hot for Kentucky.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I just "geeked out" looking at the stats behind these 3 guys and their horses. (Table of stats here: http://outsidethehorsebox.com/the-st...t-competitors/)

WFP and AN have yet to announce their final horse selections for their 2 spaces each, but considering the choices I sorta think WFP looks a bit shaky for this year. Obviously he is not to be counted out of course! Out of his 4 choices he has 2 back from a year off (Oslo and Cool Mountain), but both ran well at the CIC3star at Burnham Market in March - he didn't go for time XC - but they still haven't done much after all that time off. And Lionheart and Parklane Hawk aren't super consistent with stadium or XC time (when I say super consistent I mean in comparison to MJ).

MJ and Sam look super on paper and haven't come lower than first or second at a FEI comp since 2010 when they were a lowly 3rd . And they have won all 3 of their 4-stars.

And then there is Andrew who is on such a winning streak. I think he generally regards Nereo as his strongest (up until last weekend of course ).

So exciting! Can't wait to watch.

For everyone on twitter, #nicholsonontwitter is the funniest Badminton-related trend out there!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabondrider View Post
    For everyone on twitter, #nicholsonontwitter is the funniest Badminton-related trend out there!
    It often solicits a rather loud guffaw from me!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by vagabondrider View Post
    All this is also happening at Badminton, which William Fox-Pitt has won "only" once before, and Andrew Nicholson has never won. Fox-Pitt has won Burghley 6 times, and I believe Nicholson has also won it several times. Does anyone remember who the other Grand Slam contenders were (those who won 2 in a row but not the 3rd)? Oliver Townend had won Badminton & Burghley, then fell at the hollow at Rolex. I think someone else lost by a rail in SJ one year? Was it Andrew Hoy? Clayton Fredericks? I can't remember.
    Yep Andrew Hoy. Looks like all horses passed on the first horse inspection today. Woohoo!

Does anyone know where to find jog/trot-up photos of everyone from today? I've only seen pics of a few horses & riders.

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

I'm not so sure that Michael Jung is invincible at a 4* like Badminton. Remember the only 4* he's ever run has been at Luhmuhlen (IIRC), and Badminton is a whole order of difficulty different. AN and WFP know that track like the back of their hands.
    WFP has been riding at Badminton since 1989 and has won once only. Even with three such top riders, don't forget the extraordinary quality of the rest of the field. It is wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangsal85 View Post
    Ah ok. I was confused about the Rolex 2013 part too - but then when WFP had the stop with Chilli Morning, the announcer said something along the lines of "and William Fox-Pitt's chance is now gone." But that could have just meant his chance to win Rolex? I just thought I'd heard something about him being able to clinch by winning Rolex.
    Didn't he need to make it consective at Burghley last fall?

I believe if WFP had won Rolex this year it would have counted as Grand Slam since Badminton was canceled last year.

Quote Originally Posted by bizbachfan View Post
    I believe if WFP had won Rolex this year it would have counted as Grand Slam since Badminton was canceled last year.
    No it would not. You have to win them in consecutive order. Starting at any event, but due to Badminton being cancelled last year, He has to win it this year. That DOES make this a VERY special Badminton, but like Williedon said, He has been riding there for a long time, and has only won once!
    Another killer of threads

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by bizbachfan View Post
    Nope. Rolex, the Watch, came out after the Badminton cancellation and said it had to be the NEXT unwon event in the rider's cycle. So it has to be the NEXT Badminton for WFP and now AN.

As to the announcer's statement, WFP had an almost insurmountable lead after dressage--7 point ahead of the next horse. Once he'd gotten the 20 PP for the stop, plus the time penalties XC and assuming horse didn't stop again, it still would have taken a miracle for him to win.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

okay thanks for the correction, all rather confusing.

After day 1, the top 10 are quite an international group. And Nicholson 3rd, Fox-Pitt in a tie for 4th, Michael Jung right behind in 6th with their more competitive horses going tomorrow!
    Last edited by vagabondrider; May. 3, 2013 at 08:09 PM.