The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    interesting, that's a pretty big name mom/kid in the world of ponies, not completely naive. I completely don't understand the story at all blame that on someone not from the industry trying to write a story on something they know not about. Certainly has a great and successful record right up until mid-WEF. is there a link to the actual claim? are they claiming Heritage let the pony founder without treatment?
    From what I gathered, they moved the pony from Heritage and then it foundered. Which...makes sense if they moved it to a barn where a different living situation caused it to founder (my understanding is some ponies are prone to founder living out on grass, but I'm not too familiar with it.)

4 members found this post helpful.

So the New York Post article screams that the suit is for $2 million in damages whereas the New York Daily News (and other outlets) indicate the suit is for $325,000 in damages. Which is it?

City of delusion in the state of total denial

For heaven's freaking sake.

If the pony foundered, it probably isn't the fault of the folks who sold it to you last year.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

24 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    The article said it has "rotation of the feet" which I'm assuming means founder. Well, in my experience, that can happen to any horse at any time. Stress of transport, new feed/hay/grass, over work can all be causes for founder. The pony was shown several times after purchase without an issue. So, if they didn't have a PPE done, they should have at least insured their investment.
    So can giving one Dex long term/repeatedly. With the drugging issues that are so common, I would wonder about that...

21 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    So can giving one Dex long term/repeatedly. With the drugging issues that are so common, I would wonder about that...
    Ooohhh... Good point!

3 members found this post helpful.

People are so freaking lawsuit-happy. Ridiculous.

5 members found this post helpful.

Lets try this..."blocked" as in "blocked its feet"?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    interesting, that's a pretty big name mom/kid in the world of ponies, not completely naive.
    That makes a difference (or ought to) for we speculating spectators.

I ASSumed that the pony mom was a clueless non-horser.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy Gale View Post
    Lets try this..."blocked" as in "blocked its feet"?
    That occurred to me too when I saw that mentioned. Although if he needed to be blocked to compete last year lord knows how sore he was through indoors and this year's WEF- which doesnt make a lot of sense. Especially for such a young pony.

i wouldnt be surprised if it were the change in management; too abrupt of a change to any animal's routine leads to all sorts of problems.

1 members found this post helpful.

Horses and ponies get blocked for long time sometimes until they go lame and can't be treated anymore. I think this is what this woman is suing about. it was a pre-existing condition that was not disclosed. Not sure why she used Heritage Farm vet to examine the pony.

Leyla, do you mean perhaps the pony was nerved? I have never heard the term "blocking" except as it relates to a vet figuring out a soundness issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MonterStables View Post
    I'm seriously beginning to wonder how much of an understanding concerning ETHICS these BNTs have. Drugging is as much of an MO in this sport as the non-disclosure of a horse or pony's issues is. As much as I have respect for Andre and Heritage Farm, I'm seriously beginning to wonder how many of their actively competing horses have the same said issues that this pony had that were not disclosed to this lady. I mean, think about this for a moment REALLY hard. Lillie Keenan is one of his riders. Granted Parkland is a lease for her, but that horse is currently stabled with him because of that fact. That horse dropped at the ring at WEF. Last year, Lillie had that incident with Bases Loaded in the ring. They've had more recent incidents than we've ever heard about and quite frankly, that's scary to me.

But everybody knows that not disclosing the issues of a horse or pony is one of the biggest problems in this sport. That's why we have show horses like the one I leased who live on a regiment of joint injections, etc.
    Let's remember that Heritage has never had any drug citations... I can guarantee they've been tested. I would not be so quick to throw out statements like the ones you made above.

JMHO.

12 members found this post helpful.

I am so not understanding the story... so is her argument that the rotation was not disclosed to her, but perhaps noted at the time of the pre-purchase by the vet, and covered up by the trainer at Heritage? And that they somehow treated the pony so that it was sound and happy for the better part of a year, and then when they moved barns, it was no longer getting that treatment and starting showing unsoundness? Is that the argument? I can see why the kid thought it was torture to ride a pony with rotation if something was done to mask it, but I do not understand otherwise. The whole story is very hard to follow.

The kid/mom name is very recognizable and they have several high dollar ponies, I do not know them personally, but it's not like it's someone who just wandered onto the scene, they have been around playing at the highest levels at least long enough that I, a lay person lol, recognized the name.

If I understood correctly it said that the pony showed up lame AFTER moving from Heritage so perhaps her argument was that the pony was only sound while it was there because of some 'special care' which it did not receive at the new barn therefore it became noticeably lame?

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bM View Post
    If I understood correctly it said that the pony showed up lame AFTER moving from Heritage so perhaps her argument was that the pony was only sound while it was there because of some 'special care' which it did not receive at the new barn therefore it became noticeably lame?

that is what I thought too

3 members found this post helpful.

The plan was to START at $175,000, pay a minimum of $1,000 a week in expenses, and then flip or lease for a profit???

Do we need a power point presentation on why this was unlikely to work?

When math meets reality, it gets ugly.

24 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Let's remember that Heritage has never had any drug citations... I can guarantee they've been tested. I would not be so quick to throw out statements like the ones you made above.

JMHO.

Okay, well it's good to know that you know they've been tested then! Thanks for telling me(And I mean that).

However, I'm going to ask this, and not just to you but to everyone: could this lawsuit really hold up? There are too many variables here that could say they cant(from what everyone is saying).

Okay, well it's good to know that you know they've been tested then! Thanks for telling me(And I mean that).

However, I'm going to ask this, and not just to you but to everyone: could this lawsuit really hold up? There are too many variables here that could say they cant(from what everyone is saying).

I would think if they have proof that information critical to their decision making was knowingly withheld, and covered up after the sale, that they'd have a case for fraud... not sure that is what happened, but that's the only way I could see it working out in their favor.

Maybe. It depends on the state law - is there a duty to disclose, ie caveat emptor has been abrogated; if she bought the pony from someone who qualifies as a dealer under the state's version of the UCC, were representations of soundness made, etc.

However, before questions of law are reached, the woman has to be able to prove that the pony had a preexisting issue.

Not for nothing, but nerve blocks are much better nowadays than they used to be, and its unlikely, if she alleges that the pony was nerved, that the nerves grew back THAT fast.

Who the heck doesn't Xray feet on that expensive of an animal??? Really.

My moneys on the "foundering event happened subsequent to purchase"

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    For heaven's freaking sake.

If the pony foundered, it probably isn't the fault of the folks who sold it to you last year.
    Yep.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"