The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Default Another Pony Lawsuit....

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...QQPF5kEBcIvQUI

The lawsuit: http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/iscroll/SQLData.jsp?IndexNo=651517-2013
    Last edited by Limerick; May. 1, 2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Trying to add different link

I got an error message.

OP, was it this article you were referring to?

Who spends that much on a horse and doesn't get a PPE?

21 members found this post helpful.

Default If she paid 175K for a pony

and didn't have a full set of xrays done....

here's your sign.

If she did, then I suppose whatever changes there were will be blamed on new barn.

I feel bad for the child, but I cannot fathom paying that much money for something that wasn't going to win money back.

That said, I got sued over a cheap ottb. People will sue if they aren't happy, they don't need to be right to make you spend money and time on lawyers.

7 members found this post helpful.

The article said it has "rotation of the feet" which I'm assuming means founder. Well, in my experience, that can happen to any horse at any time. Stress of transport, new feed/hay/grass, over work can all be causes for founder. The pony was shown several times after purchase without an issue. So, if they didn't have a PPE done, they should have at least insured their investment.

21 members found this post helpful.

The woman was also looking to make more on the pony as an investment by reselling or by leasing. Evidently she didn't get the memo that horses/ponies can always get hurt and being sound for the rest of their live is not a guarantee.. She could've got a PPE and the pony could've gotten hurt. who knows. A friend purchased a 4 y/o - and 1 week later he blew out an OCD lesion - horse had xrays the whole she-bang.. Vet didn't see the lesion and other vets concurred. Besides sounds like the pair showed successfully initially.

7 members found this post helpful.

I'm seriously beginning to wonder how much of an understanding concerning ETHICS these BNTs have. Drugging is as much of an MO in this sport as the non-disclosure of a horse or pony's issues is. As much as I have respect for Andre and Heritage Farm, I'm seriously beginning to wonder how many of their actively competing horses have the same said issues that this pony had that were not disclosed to this lady. I mean, think about this for a moment REALLY hard. Lillie Keenan is one of his riders. Granted Parkland is a lease for her, but that horse is currently stabled with him because of that fact. That horse dropped at the ring at WEF. Last year, Lillie had that incident with Bases Loaded in the ring. They've had more recent incidents than we've ever heard about and quite frankly, that's scary to me.

But everybody knows that not disclosing the issues of a horse or pony is one of the biggest problems in this sport. That's why we have show horses like the one I leased who live on a regiment of joint injections, etc.

11 members found this post helpful.

I don't know...she showed it from March of last year through February of this year. That's a lot of time for something to happen, in my opinion, that has nothing to do with the state of the animal at purchase.
    Last edited by comingback; Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: wrong month

24 members found this post helpful.

I'm still laughing at the phrase "defective show pony." Wish I had thought of that phrasing while I was being bucked off in to the mud in the middle of filling a hack on a schoolie: She isn't naughty! She is just a defective show pony!

Also, isn't $175k very high for a 6 year old pony with only one year of showing under its belt? It started showing in the beginning of 2012 and did well in really good company, so perhaps its justified, but I guess I expected a longer record for the price tag.

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    I'm still laughing at the phrase "defective show pony." Wish I had thought of that phrasing while I was being bucked off in to the mud in the middle of filling a hack on a schoolie: She isn't naughty! She is just a defective show pony!

Also, isn't $175k very high for a 6 year old pony with only one year of showing under its belt? It started showing in the beginning of 2012 and did well in really good company, so perhaps its justified, but I guess I expected a longer record for the price tag.
    175K is high for something that only weighs 600lbs, never won any money and you can't eat.

30 members found this post helpful.

IMO unless they have xrayed with no changes at purchase I'd be willing to say this pony probably did have this issue after the fact. If the pony showed with no drugs for that amount of time without any lameness I doubt there was any rotation at the time. Rotation ESP if extreme enough to not correct is painful. I would think the pony would have been lame from day one if he had this issue and not happily jumping courses and flatting at large shows.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

4 members found this post helpful.

Sometimes when you x-ray at PPE the vet can be happy with what he see's at the time. All it would take is getting copy's of x-rays from previous years to show a trend in the rotation. If the seller was aware of the trend and it wasn't disclosed then buyers are owed refund. This happened to us when we were purchasing a very expensive horse from Europe. The PPE vet gave him a pass but we had our own vet look at the x-rays and she requested previous ones to compare. He did have a trend but we were able to sit down and discuss the risk's and decided to buy the horse anyways. We had the benefit of knowing what we were getting into and how to take care of him so we could prolong his career. Being more particular about the type of footing we schooled and showed him on made a huge difference and it was also helpful to the farrier that he had a history on this horse.

4 members found this post helpful.

"But soon it became clear Sports Talk was suffering and he was blocked from competing in the pony finals later that month."

Hmm... is that what the mother said? Funny how the pony got pretty good ribbons at PF, then went on to compete (and win) in the fall and again this winter in Florida with the same kid.

"Sports Talk is being boarded in Virginia and [Kid] is 'so upset that the animal was tortured.'

Heritage is one of the best programs around... highly, highly doubt the pony was being "tortured"

8 members found this post helpful.

Something seems off with that article (which I think is different than the OPs http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1330736).

I'll start with the typo in the title

But it says he was blocked from competing in pony finals, but usef shows it as 13th overall small greens?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by comingback View Post
    Something seems off with that article (which I think is different than the OPs http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1330736).

I'll start with the typo in the title

But it says he was blocked from competing in pony finals, but usef shows it as 13th overall small greens?
    Well, I think that they were referring to the upcoming pony finals as far as being blocked from competing goes.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    175K is high for something that only weighs 600lbs, never won any money and you can't eat.
    Or drink!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MonterStables View Post
    Well, I think that they were referring to the upcoming pony finals as far as being blocked from competing goes.
    I would agree except this is how it is worded....

"... rode Sports Talk to three wins at a competition in Brandywine and notched more victories in August. But soon it became clear Sports Talk was suffering and he was blocked from competing in the pony finals later that month."

I just think overall that article is poorly written.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by comingback View Post
    I would agree except this is how it is worded....

"... rode Sports Talk to three wins at a competition in Brandywine and notched more victories in August. But soon it became clear Sports Talk was suffering and he was blocked from competing in the pony finals later that month."

I just think overall that article is poorly written.
    Agreed. Maybe that's what they meant? Who knows.

interesting, that's a pretty big name mom/kid in the world of ponies, not completely naive. I completely don't understand the story at all blame that on someone not from the industry trying to write a story on something they know not about. Certainly has a great and successful record right up until mid-WEF. is there a link to the actual claim? are they claiming Heritage let the pony founder without treatment?