The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

No. But sometimes I've had to shorten the ride to have time to get ready for whatever the important thing is. Such as needing time to pack before a big long awaited overseas trip.

Yes. Last year after months of unemployment I finally landed a temporary field technician job with a major university, and I'd be useless to them with a broken anything. Since the last time I'd fallen off a horse I broke a vertebrae, I decided that I wasn't about to risk it.

And now that someone pointed it out, next year when I lose my health insurance (currently on parents', Dad retires end of the year) I'll probably stop riding again too. I know my parents would help with any emergency, but it would just be foolish of me and unfair to them to ask them to help pay an entirely avoidable hospital bill.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I think the only thing that would maybe prevent me from riding would be loss of health insurance, but that isn't even a guarantee.
    I never deliberately stopped riding for a special event, not even my kids' births ( I was actually hoping all that riding would make them come as soon as they were ready - not luck!).
    I did refrain from jumping bigger fences at a hunter pace because I was leaving for Europe the very next day, but still jumped smaller fences, but that is the only time I can think of.
    I've broken bones while riding and it didn't prevent me from working.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I'm taking the bar in July, and I'm definitely not planning to take time off of riding - though I probably won't be showing between now and then because shows are so time consuming. In fact, the first day of the bar is my birthday, and if I get either the White Plains or NYC location, I fully intend to ride after I get out of the test that day!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    We established a rule here that if someone was not covered by health insurance, then that person stopped riding until the health insurance kicked in.
    At one point I had to go without insurance for about a day due to a change in employment, and I pretty well hid in the house and tried not to move during that time So no riding, obviously.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I thought I was OK to go XC schooling the week before my wedding. Unfortunately, my trainer was having a rough week of students falling off and seriously injuring themselves, so I was a little nervous. BUT, I had been schooling Training level fences all summer, just came off a Novice HT (finished on dressage score) with my horse feeling like a champ and figured we were good to go!

Started out OK, missed a distance on a biggish roll top, fixed it and moved on. Started getting to the really technical stuff and I just about had a mental breakdown! It was awful. Nothing we were doing was THAT much different, but I could just see myself mangled in my wedding dress... I think I stuck to N and giving leads to the greener horses and riders for the rest of the day.

I still rode at the barn on the flat and out hacking, but no jumping the rest of the week! A month later I was out steeplechasing with the same horse...

Quote Originally Posted by delusions of grandeur View Post
    I'm taking the bar in July, and I'm definitely not planning to take time off of riding - though I probably won't be showing between now and then because shows are so time consuming. In fact, the first day of the bar is my birthday, and if I get either the White Plains or NYC location, I fully intend to ride after I get out of the test that day!
    Best of luck on the Bar! I hope you get to ride after it's over.

My friends and I planned to go out drinking after the last day of ours. As it turned out, only two of us still had the energy. And even we packed it in after a couple of pints.
    Last edited by pAin't_Misbehavin'; May. 1, 2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Clarity. Certainly wouldn't have dared go out drinking until after the last day of the Bar!
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.

Nope. Life is short and a wise person once told me that you never know which ride will be your last. I have learned both lessons heartbreakingly well in the past few years. Not saying throw caution to the wind and leap on the blowing bronco, but no, I would never not ride MY horses out of worry for another event.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Nope. Life is short and a wise person once told me that you never know which ride will be your last. I have learned both lessons heartbreakingly well in the past few years. Not saying throw caution to the wind and leap on the blowing bronco, but no, I would never not ride MY horses out of worry for another event.
    Me, neither, anymore. When I was a dewy-eyed young thing, the Bar seemed like the Most.Important.Thing in the world. But age and experience have given me a different perspective.
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson

I rode right up to the week of my Professional Engineering exam...I needed a brain-break!

I also rode the week of a wedding I was standing in and wouldn't you know, I jumped ahead at a little vertical (dummy!) and got smacked in the face, right on the cheekbone. All I could think was "She's going to kill me if I have a black eye!". Luckily, it was just sore, no bruising.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Best of luck on the Bar! I hope you get to ride after it's over.

My friends and I planned to go out drinking after the last day of ours. As it turned out, only two of us still had the energy. And even we packed it in after a couple of pints.
    When I took the Iowa Bar it was January and I had nightmares about my car not starting due to the cold. My friends and I did go drinking at a little bar near Drake. We sat around drinking beer, comparing our answers and contemplating alternate careers if we didn't pass.

I have yet to stop riding for a particular event (not even the bar) but could see not riding the week before my wedding or something.
    This thread reminds of a story a friend of mine told me. Both he and his brother were riders and they both managed to fall off the day before their parent's huge 25th wedding anniversary party. They both had visible bruises and cuts on and whenever someone at the party asked what happened, they said they got in a fistfight with each other. Their parents found their joke way less funny than they did.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Well, I tell everyone I ride in the fancy saddle with stirrups (a Wintec 2000 as opposed to a local pack saddle) because my boss would KILL me if I disabled myself falling off!

And I defend snarky comments about my helmet by answering that we don't have a neurosurgery department.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    When I took the Iowa Bar it was January and I had nightmares about my car not starting due to the cold. My friends and I did go drinking at a little bar near Drake. We sat around drinking beer, comparing our answers and contemplating alternate careers if we didn't pass.
    I wish I'd known you in law school! I was a post-game recapper also.

E.g. "What'd you say about the second secured transactions question? Which lender did you think had first priority?"

I was also incredibly unpopular with most of my fellow test-takers.
    Denny Emerson

I've never not ridden, but I've taken it easy a few times. Instead of schooling xc or jumping 4' I did a couple weeks of light hacks and trail rides instead
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I don't ride on my birthday; pure supestition, lots of people die on their birthdays. I try to avoid doing anything risky on 3-day holiday weekends, as I'm aware of what the ER's are like then . . . and the 11th and 27th of the month are Inauspicious Days due to past history I won't bore you with, but there are better days to ride.

I got a concussion the day before my GRE exam and showed up two hours late because I couldnt remember the time... =\
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

I do, and that includes relatively unimportant events--a fancy dinner I'm looking forward to, for example, or a trip. Not for weeks at a time or anything; I just might skip a ride that day or the day before. For me that's more a product of my generalized anxiety though--I am very good at psyching myself out. (: Often I'll get myself to at least just go out and do something very simple and comparatively safe.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

I do. When I have important (especially first time meetings) client meetings I skip the weekend and just turn out. My supervisor asks if I'm planning to ride before an important meeting, reminding me how bad I look with a bruised face and bandaged arms and gimpy legs. Kind of hard to look like a professional a client can depend on when those baby TB ER visits come up...

So you were not a lawyer? Or are not a lawyer? Not licensed in any state, including South Carolina?