The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spinoff from Risks of Riding - Ever stopped riding before Important Upcoming Event?

I didn't ride during the six weeks I was preparing to take the State Bar Exam. I was terrified I'd break something and have to wait six months - with no law license and student debt accruing - before I could sit for the exam again.

A couple of other posters on the Risks of Riding thread said they'd not ride for a couple of weeks before some really important career event that required them to be in one piece. And of course the OP on that thread lost a job because she broke her arm right before she was supposed to start.

What about y'all? Has anyone else stopped riding for a while for some important upcoming event? Been scared to have a cast on in the wedding photos?

I'm asking because I thought my hiatus was brought on by Bar Prep Neuroses (a common affliction among those who've just finished three years of expensive schooling and whose ability to work in their chosen field depends on how they do on one (three-day-long) exam. But maybe not. Have others done the same?

i've thought about it sometimes, but since the only broken bone i've ever had (-knocking furiously on wooden desk-) was subway related and not horse related, i just figured i couldn't live my life like that. i have enough other health issues that rear their heads at the most inopportune moments that if i were to stop riding ahead of some event, i guaran-damn-tee that something *else* would go wrong.
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Curious, was this six weks of cramming in which you "didn't have time" to catch a ride or did you deliberately NOT ride? I haven't had any events noteworthy enough to deliberately not ride and I did ride while I was taking care of my Mother, even though I probably shouldn't have, but I will not plan to catch a flight on the day before I have to be at work. I just don't have the "bounce back" to get home and get up to go to work at 2AM EST, while still on PST.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Nope. I rode my barely broke green bean the night before the bar exam (stress relief).

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Curious, was this six weeks of cramming in which you "didn't have time" to catch a ride or did you deliberately NOT ride?
    I could've ridden on the weekends. We went to Bar Review classes five days a week, but I went home most weekends, where I had my own horse (boarded with his trainer).

charismaryllis - how'd you break a bone on the subway?

icy station parking lot slip and FOOSH $#@~!!@#@!

(although this is the washington metro system i'm talking about--people have certainly broken bones and worse on the trains and stairs, and the escalators go through these phases where they try and eat people, so i guess it could have been worse...)
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

I often do but it's usually because whatever the big thing is is taking up my time.

Yep, preparing to take the test to become a court reporter. Unfortunately, I still didn't pass but not because I came off my horse.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    Nope. I rode my barely broke green bean the night before the bar exam (stress relief).
    Brave woman!

I didn't ride for a month before prelims when I was getting doctorate, but I think that's because I was studying every moment. (I also didn't clean the house or do much other than study - I overdid the studying a bit!).

So I know that doesn't count.... but I didn't ride for a week or so before our trip to South Dakota. I wanted to be able to go hiking and site-seeing and all. I don't ride green horses/unknown horses for a week or two before DH is going to be gone for work because if I'm hurt, I won't have anyone to feed.

But I really only started this in the past two years. Maybe I'm thinking more about my mortality!
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Ha! No, I actually rode my green bean 4 year old on his first major camping/ big group trail ride the week before I got married. I guess I did wait to get on my student's super hot spooky 18h Belgian until after my first CTR of the year this spring- does that count?
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

We established a rule here that if someone was not covered by health insurance, then that person stopped riding until the health insurance kicked in. The last riding accident ran up medical bills of over $50K, without surgery. I was responsible for $4K of that; the remainder was picked up by the insurance company. Then they tried to find someone to sue. No sense in adding to the risks we take each day just be walking around or getting behind the wheel.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

3 members found this post helpful.

My husband asked me not to ride in the month before our wedding because he did not want me to "have a messed up face" at the wedding. LOL, it was February so I wasn't doing much anyway. I rode before the Bar Exams though.
    Impossible is nothing.

No, not with riding, but I do with skiing.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Nope, not with riding. Rode and skied right before my doctoral dissertation defense.

Unfortunately, I have stopped downhill skiing (knees) which I really miss. If I was worried about any activity causing injury that would have been i

I think I rode before my final graded watch or oral board at nuke prototype HOPING I'd fall off and break something. It's been a few years, I can't remember which, maybe both.

Yes!

Well, I wouldn't stop riding, but I would often skip my jumping lessons the last couple of weeks before a deadline. Otherwise I would find myself coming around the turn, lining up the jump, and thinking, "Don't crash. You can't afford to be hurt right now."

Which, yanno, almost invariably guarantees a yard sale.
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

I stopped riding at home a week before a riding vacation in Europe because I didn't want to take any chances of not being able to go. Does that count?

Not intentionally! I had a riding lesson scheduled the day before my wedding, and the only reason I didn't ride is because my TRAINER said no. I was riding a notoriously naughty horse at the time and I guess the mere idea gave her nightmares.

I never did come off him, but I suppose it was better to not taunt Murphy.

I didn't ride the week before my bar exam because I was too busy freaking out and playing out horrible nightmare scenarios wherein I somehow got every answer on the exam wrong and had to tell my BigLaw firm that I didn't pass.

I didn't ride right before my wedding, either because I was afraid I would get hurt somehow.

I sometimes don't ride before major work events if I'm the only one working on the matter and I don't think someone could cover for me if necessary.

During the bar exam and my wedding, I didn't own a horse. I do now, and he isn't the easiest to deal with, so unless I can get a pro to ride him, I pretty much try to ride him no matter what is going on in my life.