The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

He never neglects the riders or the audience, but he doesn't always repeat things he's said earlier in the clinic. He'll say on Friday that on Sunday, there will probably be a long-trot session, and explain why and what. He won't necessarily go through that again on Sunday. Or if you happen to walk in in the middle of it, you may miss the explanation. Anyhow, the point is that he isn't putting on a show--you have to be paying attention, and he does teach toward those who are there the whole time, and are listening.

I know I sure missed a lot the first times I watched. Every time I go, even though I'm basically seeing the same process each time, I still get new things from it. And, amazingly, when you ride with him, you often feel as though the whole class is geared toward you and your horse alone. He reads his classes that well.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    You are criticizing Buck Brannaman for books his brother, Smokie, wrote?
    No not at all.

How did you get the idea that I was criticizing Buck out of my post?
    I would have made a new post for Smokey but this one came up and I thought it fit.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Just Outside of Dallas - California to be exact

I was able to audit a clinic in Riverside, Ca in early April 2013. No showtime stuff, just horsemanship. I was pleased and would attend again. The clinic was a 4 day event, but I only attended the frist 3 days.

The progression of the horses AND riders from day 1 to day 3 was great! Of course, there were one or two participants that might not have advanced in their ability as much as others, but at least they were there and trying as best they could. Buck had his assistants intervene on 2 horses the first day. One horse was a "bully" and the other had an 'intimidated' owner. I give them kudos as it could not have been easy to be in front of an audience.

Buck explained what he was doing or asking for and why. He encouraged participants individually, gave tips on how to do things, etc.

Overall I was impressed with the 3 days of clinic I was able to audit.

OP, check with whoever is putting on the clinic to see if they are taking names just in case someone has to cancel. My friend got put on the list and was fortunate to get in because of a vacancy. Can't hurt to check!
    Last edited by Whoanellie; Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM. Reason: edit
    Be kind to the animals for they are the True Innocents!
    True Innocents Equine Rescue: www.tierrescue.org
    Join us on Facebook!

He's been famous since he was a kid. Not sure there was much left to change since he grew up with it.
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    You are criticizing Buck Brannaman for books his brother, Smokie, wrote?
    Equinknowlogy 101? That's a lame title. OT to be sure, but I'll pull over to criticize that.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Whoanellie View Post

OP, check with whoever is putting on the clinic to see if they are taking names just in case someone has to cancel. My friend got put on the list and was fortunate to get in because of a vacancy. Can't hurt to check!
    Thank you for the idea. I'll certainly do that. There are a couple "hard cases" I ride for a really nice lady and she, as well as the horses, would benefit.

Otherwise, am I right to infer that you have to commit to watching the whole weekend? Do you feel that you could have skipped Day 1, or were there some "never been thought of before" crucial things done then?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I think if you're looking for ways to shortchange his point of view and get the Cliff Notes...you need to skip the whole thing.

To quote Ray Hunt: Do more now so you can do less later.

If you aren't ready, don't do it.

And if you think that's too blunt or rude: You really aren't ready.

Just Outside of Dallas - California to be exact

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Thank you for the idea. I'll certainly do that. There are a couple "hard cases" I ride for a really nice lady and she, as well as the horses, would benefit.

Otherwise, am I right to infer that you have to commit to watching the whole weekend? Do you feel that you could have skipped Day 1, or were there some "never been thought of before" crucial things done then?
    In my opinion, there wasn't any "never been thought of before" things done. His explanations solidified some things for me. I did learn a lot watching the cow work as I am not familiar with working cows. I guess what I learned is that I still have a lot to learn. But I also learned that there are things that I have already learned that I didn't realize I had.........if that makes any sense. Different things came together on different levels for me.

If I could have done all 4 days I would have just for the experience. I think I would have really gained a lot if I could have actually participated with a horse.

As far as committing to watching the whole weekend, as a auditor you could audit or not. Auditors were not required to pay for the whole clinic, just on a daily basis if you preferred.
    Be kind to the animals for they are the True Innocents!
    True Innocents Equine Rescue: www.tierrescue.org
    Join us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    I think if you're looking for ways to shortchange his point of view and get the Cliff Notes...you need to skip the whole thing.

To quote Ray Hunt: Do more now so you can do less later.

If you aren't ready, don't do it.

And if you think that's too blunt or rude: You really aren't ready.
    I'm not sure I understood. Did you just end up "taking my inventory" about my riding or training ability over the interwebz?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Whoanellie View Post
    In my opinion, there wasn't any "never been thought of before" things done. His explanations solidified some things for me.
    I'll bet there will be a ton of "normal stuff all horsemen do," but with some great examples of timing and choosing a different tool because Brannaman can interpret horses better than the rest of us. Those certainly will be helpful moments... even if you have to wait for them and don't know when they will occur.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

So much of what you will learn from a clinic is about feel and timing. In my 30-ish years of riding, no one has ever taught me about the specifics of timing. Yes, I've heard that timing is important, but no one has ever said "when this foot leaves the ground, do that." I've ridden in A h/j show barns and dressage barns. It seems like the most basic thing that everyone should learn fairly early on . . . but it has never been covered.

So, yes, it isn't anything new under the sun per se. But the way he breaks it down and teaches it is so instrumental to building understanding for future work. He really understands horses and people. He knows whom he can push and when, he knows whom to let figure it out on their own with a little instruction. He is patient and doesn't lose his temper and will say the same thing a hundred times in a clinic if he has to.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

2 members found this post helpful.

I really enjoyed Pocket Pony's thread and recommend it to anyone that missed it -

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...nic-UPDATE-p-9!
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I'm not sure I understood. Did you just end up "taking my inventory" about my riding or training ability over the interwebz?
    I don't know. That's a question only you can answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    So much of what you will learn from a clinic is about feel and timing. In my 30-ish years of riding, no one has ever taught me about the specifics of timing. Yes, I've heard that timing is important, but no one has ever said "when this foot leaves the ground, do that." I've ridden in A h/j show barns and dressage barns. It seems like the most basic thing that everyone should learn fairly early on . . . but it has never been covered.

So, yes, it isn't anything new under the sun per se. But the way he breaks it down and teaches it is so instrumental to building understanding for future work. He really understands horses and people. He knows whom he can push and when, he knows whom to let figure it out on their own with a little instruction. He is patient and doesn't lose his temper and will say the same thing a hundred times in a clinic if he has to.
    Pocket Pony GETS IT about these clinics! It's really fun to see someone take it a face value and realize how much is there to be had, even if it seems elementary, or sometimes, even, as though "nothing is happening". You are SO RIGHT about the basic basics that get skipped in so many training/lesson programs--even supposedly beginner/basic ones. But, for much of that you need some experience to appreciate what you need. Communication with the horse has to be done on the horse's level, and it does take some experience to begin to understand what that level is--where the anthropomorphizing leaves off and the real horse begins.

No, you don't have to commit to the whole weekend. Just be aware that the whole clinic is a process, and if you don't see all of it, there will be things that, well, you will miss. Even if you're there in the thick of it, there are things you will miss. That's what keeps us going back!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post
    Pocket Pony GETS IT about these clinics! It's really fun to see someone take it a face value and realize how much is there to be had, even if it seems elementary, or sometimes, even, as though "nothing is happening". You are SO RIGHT about the basic basics that get skipped in so many training/lesson programs--even supposedly beginner/basic ones. But, for much of that you need some experience to appreciate what you need. Communication with the horse has to be done on the horse's level, and it does take some experience to begin to understand what that level is--where the anthropomorphizing leaves off and the real horse begins.

No, you don't have to commit to the whole weekend. Just be aware that the whole clinic is a process, and if you don't see all of it, there will be things that, well, you will miss. Even if you're there in the thick of it, there are things you will miss. That's what keeps us going back!
    Too many people want X lesson at Y time.

The approach used in a BB clinic won't allow for that. It literally does not work that way.

You-the indeterminate you- needs to sit down, slow down, listen,soak, and think. If you- the indeterminate you- just roll in for part of Saturday, for example, you won't get anything out of it. JMO. It'll likely look like a whole lot of nothing going on.

I'm going to disagree with not getting anything out of it if you just catch part of it.

I was only able to watch most (not all!) of the first day of one of his clinics 2 years ago. I would have loved to have been able to watch all of it, but sometimes we have to fit in what we can. I'm sure I would have learned much more had I been able to stay for the whole thing. Regardless, I am so glad I was able to catch what I did and I would go again if I get the chance.

The G T did an article when he was in Corvallis last year. Fun to read a non-horseperson's take on a clinic, but it also included some attendance estimates.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/loc...a4bcf887a.html

I'm just jealous of all y'all that get a chance to see him. I don't think he has come near my part of the country....north coast.....

Quote Originally Posted by HPFarmette View Post
    I'm just jealous of all y'all that get a chance to see him. I don't think he has come near my part of the country....north coast.....
    Me too. I think the closest he's coming to our neck of the woods is PA. Auditing or riding in a BB clinic is on my bucket list.