The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buck Brannaman: Same great guy post-movie as pre-movie?

No offense, but is this clinician still a wonderful guy to go watch, post-movie?

I ask because historically, other clinicians who have become famous seem to have.... well.....changed with their launch into the public eye.

Brannaman will be in my podunk town in July and I'm hoping for a not-to-be-missed clinic. If you have seen a Buck Brannaman clinic lately (and can compare this to past ones), do you think the guy is still all that and a bag of chips?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I don't know about BB, but, I'd say you're on the money. For me, I wouldn't pay to watch one but if I could somehow finangle my way in, sans money, I'd watch. I think the adoration goes to their heads. Check back on him in five years and see what's happened.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

goneriding, the dude is coming to Corvallis in July.

Of course all the riding spots were taken by the time the public knew about it. Sigh.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thanks. You never know, I may show up if in the area.

I have attended some of his WV clinics on and off for years. Could only watch a half day last fall but he sure seemed to be the same as he was 10 years ago. Well worth auditing him any time you get the chance, IMO.

He was already famous enough pre-movie - my guess he is still the same man.
    Either way, he is the real deal, you will learn something. Go.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

7 members found this post helpful.

I think the fact that he is still doing a clinic in your 'podunk town' vs a large stadium show goes a long way to answering your question.
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

17 members found this post helpful.

Yes, Buck changes. But probably not the way you are thinking. He continues to learn, both from his horses, and from others, and that does change his clinics over time. He has good days and bad days, like any human. But, no he hasn't changed because of the movie.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

9 members found this post helpful.

I just got back from riding in his clinic over the weekend and I say GO! IMHO, he is a very humble man, a very gracious man, a very kind man, and yet he calls it like it is and doesn't mince words. He truly seems to want what is best for the horse, otherwise how could he put up with doing clinics for 30 years?

His "methods" are all about getting the horse to want to work with you, not about "attacking" the horse with some crazy energy that gets him all hyped up and scared of you. He teaches patience and kindness and softness and developing feel and timing so that you can help the horse understand what you want.

It was by far the best horse experience of my life and I am a big fan. I only wish I had done something like this earlier.

I'll be typing up a clinic report later today. There's so much to say about it. There's so much you can get from it via auditing or via participating, but I'm glad I participated - it is well worth the money.

He doesn't appear to be someone who is interested in fame or fortune or creating hype and fancy marketing and greed.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

9 members found this post helpful.

For some reason in the past few days I've looked him up myself.

I did buy his brother Smokeys books and I have to say I didn't like them I returned them after a scanning a couple of chapters each.
    The emotional scars that his father left run deeper in Smoky than his brother.

In both of his books* the theme to me was 'I know horses better than you'
    Well he no doubt does. I'm not a trainer, I only have to understand how the horse that I ride thinks.
    I do hope he finds peace in his life.

Everyone should feel pride in their talents but he shouldn't talk down to people who don't possess the same gift that he has.

* The books I bought and could not return fast enough were (Whisper This... Not to your horse, to yourself) and (Equiknowlogy 101)
    Last edited by 5; Apr. 30, 2013 at 01:42 PM.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post
    Yes, Buck changes. But probably not the way you are thinking. He continues to learn, both from his horses, and from others, and that does change his clinics over time. He has good days and bad days, like any human. But, no he hasn't changed because of the movie.
    This.

If you get a chance to audit... GO. I just went to one of his clinics a few weeks ago to audit, and that's the third one I've been to in 3 years. He's always learning, always incorporating new ideas, things, etc. He's the real deal, and a good person. I've had the chance to talk to him a few times, and while my name isn't always easy to remember, he remembers faces. Heck, a friend of mine rode in one of his clinics something like 10 years ago and he still remembers her.

Buck's a genuine article. I'm hoping to try for a spot in his foundation horsemanship class in 2015 since his closest 2014 clinic is Pasadena and that's too far for horse-trailer-less me. But if they hold it at the SB polo field again in '15, that's my goal.

1 members found this post helpful.

We have ridden with Buck for several years, pre and post movie. Buck is still Buck. Go.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Thanks. You never know, I may show up if in the area.
    Bring your wire cutters for the break-in to the clinic and you can crash on my couch. We'll make a cheap-but-educational weekend of it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaff2 View Post
    I think the fact that he is still doing a clinic in your 'podunk town' vs a large stadium show goes a long way to answering your question.
    Well... I'll check out the venue and let you know how large it is. I'd like to go see a great horseman. Don't want to go see a show put on for the audience's sake.

But thank you all for your opinions. I'll read the other Buck Brannaman thread and certainly give you my impressions if I get to see his clinic.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Bring your wire cutters for the break-in to the clinic and you can crash on my couch. We'll make a cheap-but-educational weekend of it.
    Sounds like fun! However, I may be back to driving a big rig soonest. Retirement doesn't suit me very well. So, I'd be going up and down I-5 prolly, to WA and back down Cali way. But, should the stars align, might be there!

Well... I'll check out the venue and let you know how large it is. I'd like to go see a great horseman. Don't want to go see a show put on for the audience's sake.
    Then go, by all means. But--don't come back and complain that it was boring because he had everyone doing something, while he fiddled with his own horse and didn't say much, or some such (not that you would do this, but others have). You CANNOT watch a Buck clinic for an hour or an afternoon, if you don't already know how he teaches, and get the most out of it. He is NOT teaching to amuse the audience; heck, he isn't even teaching to amuse the riders. He's working for the horses. And that's a process, it doesn't happen in a few minutes, he knows that, and he doesn't care if it's boring to watch.

But if you want to see a great horseman ... well, yeah, Buck is your guy

That said, there will also be small patches of time where something really good happens, and you'll wish you could watch it for hours. But the only way you can be assured of seeing that kind of thing is to watch the whole clinic.

The first Buck clinic I audited, I watched for two and most of three days, but had to leave late Sunday afternoon. Not 15 minutes after I left, a bad spot erupted with one of the horses, in canter work, that had been brewing all weekend, and the rider could not handle the situation. This was an mid-to-upper-level dressage rider, mind you. Buck wasn't supposed to be riding that type of horse himself due to some health issues, so he put his assistant on the horse; the assistant promptly had a crash with the horse. But Buck won't just say "oops, sorry can't help you". He told the whole crowd NOT to tell his wife and got on the horse himself. Within a half hour, he had the horse doing fluent flying changes.

Bridleless.

Part of his point was to demonstrate that the horse could do the canter work without the rider being in its mouth, and the horse was trained to that level. It wasn't showing off, it was making a point. Subtle difference.

I told all of my friends who told me about this incident that they had me to thank--it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't left and missed the whole thing .
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

3 members found this post helpful.

But thank you all for your opinions. I'll read the other Buck Brannaman thread and certainly give you my impressions if I get to see his clinic.
    IMO from what i have seen and read of Buck, it is not a SHOW by any means. it is a clinic. i plan to bring a notebook to write down anything i feel i should. i am going to audit in September. i am thrilled he will be in my area, as it is not a typical area for Buck. Parelli puts on a show. Buck is a teacher.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    So, I'd be going up and down I-5 prolly, to WA and back down Cali way. But, should the stars align, might be there!
    You know, I'm just 20 minutes west of I-5. I'll leave the light on for ya.

The Buck Show here is July 5-8, friends at home.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    For some reason in the past few days I've looked him up myself.

I did buy his brother Smokeys books and I have to say I didn't like them I returned them after a scanning a couple of chapters each.
    The emotional scars that his father left run deeper in Smoky than his brother.

In both of his books* the theme to me was 'I know horses better than you'
    Well he no doubt does. I'm not a trainer, I only have to understand how the horse that I ride thinks.
    I do hope he finds peace in his life.

Everyone should feel pride in their talents but he shouldn't talk down to people who don't possess the same gift that he has.

* The books I bought and could not return fast enough were (Whisper This... Not to your horse, to yourself) and (Equiknowlogy 101)
    You are criticizing Buck Brannaman for books his brother, Smokie, wrote?

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post
    Then go, by all means. But--don't come back and complain that it was boring because he had everyone doing something, while he fiddled with his own horse and didn't say much, or some such (not that you would do this, but others have). You CANNOT watch a Buck clinic for an hour or an afternoon, if you don't already know how he teaches, and get the most out of it. He is NOT teaching to amuse the audience; heck, he isn't even teaching to amuse the riders. He's working for the horses. And that's a process, it doesn't happen in a few minutes, he knows that, and he doesn't care if it's boring to watch.
    Point taken.

The nice thing about seeing a good clinician after you have tried your hand at some horse training yourself is that you *can* appreciate the silent horse-and-rider conversation that's going on. With other guys, I can follow that without too much narration.

It could be that Brannaman is so far beyond me and others that we'll miss the things he does if he doesn't offer an adjoining explanation. But I'm game to go and see what I can see.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat