The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Abscess but not off?

I just had my 5 yr old mare at a show on Sunday. She did brilliantly! I kept her in yesterday because of rain but when I went to the barn to check on her I noticed something up with her left hind. It wasn't swollen but looked like a scab and blood just above the coronary band. Not it is to the inside of her leg do she could have nicked herself but it truly looks like an abscess blowout. I jogged her on concrete and she was sound as ever. Didn't mind me scrubbing it and putting stuff on it. I kept her in today too and will be going back out this afternoon. But should I be concerned? Because right now I'm pretty freaked out.

She's not lame, it's not sore.

I wouldn't worry about it.

She probably 1) had an abscess pop out, or 2) scuffed herself just like you said.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I don't know why that would freak you out. If it popped, it is over, just take care of it. I had one horse blow an abscess so big that she lost a lot of her heel bulb and had to wear a bar shoe for months afterwards. She never took an off step before or after.

Calm down! My guy has blown abscesses in the back feet before without being off. Sounds like that is all it is.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

We had this happen with Mom's Friesian cross. She most likely gave it to herself by kicking the fence (no shoes), and was never off or sore. We only knew about it when it broke out and we saw the ooze.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

You wouldn't believe how many things my horse has done to himself and never taken a lame step! Including a roofing nail lol. I wouldn't keep her in too long, moving around on it probably kept the swelling down. (If she was just trailered to a show Sunday my bet would be she caught herself a little in the trailer)
    Kerri

I've never had one so close to the coronary band. This horse has great feet and goes barefoot. I don't want it to harm future hoof growth. Plus she's a saint and I hate to think that she might have been sore during her first o/f experience.

It's been raining so that's why they are all staying in. So as not to ruin what pasture they do have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebels_Princess View Post
    I've never had one so close to the coronary band. This horse has great feet and goes barefoot. I don't want it to harm future hoof growth...
    MANY abscesses come right out of the coronary band...take a deep breath...it's fine...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    MANY abscesses come right out of the coronary band...take a deep breath...it's fine...
    Ok. My gelding only ever blew out his heels. And he always acts like a leg is going to fall off.

Happened to me too. I had an awesome 4 hour trail ride with my paint mare. Honestly the best ride I had with that horse. Got back to the barn and two abscesses blew out in both front feet. I felt like the worst horse abuser in the world, but she wasn't bothered at all. Talk about stoic.

My arab had a tiny little abscess come out at the coronet band and acted like he was dead lame on it. But he was such a big baby about everything and was 100% sound the next day when the vet came to check it. I got laughed at for worrying about it.

One of my horses will pop abcesses out of the blue without ever taking a lame step. Don't worry about it!

If I didn't have this horse community to run too with questions, I would honestly lose my mind. Thank you everyone.

1 members found this post helpful.

I used to own an Arab gelding who was prone to abcessses that would progress very quickly. He'd often be lame on them for a very short period of time (as in a couple of hours) and then they'd drain on their own, and he'd be back to comfortable as soon as they opened up. So that is certainly a possibility.

Personally, at this point I'd probably just try to keep it clean if it were me.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I feel like I need to print this out, so that when it eventually happens to me; I will not freak out. I will probably still freak out though Love the COTH expertise!
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

1 members found this post helpful.

I need a shirt that says 'breathe and ask coth'.