The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How much do you pay per pound for a cat?

Munchingonhay just got a nice deal on a cat this past weekend:

A 23 pounder for the low, low price of $20.

Now I do think he was on sale. In your experience, how much do cats run per pound?

My last one was free, so I don't know.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

hmm good question. The 6 pounder was "free" but I got duped into paying $180 for a spay through an over-priced clinic so $30 a lb? I should've bargain hunted.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Like the "purchase price" has anything to do with how much they *really* cost

I think my "cheapest" cat was Miss Liz, who was maybe $60 or so for about 8 lbs of cat at the shelter? She was already spayed, vaccinated, tested for FeLuk and FIV. She was about 9, I think, at the time. And (madly knocking on some wood) I don't think she's had any weird or serious medical issues since I've had her.

I've also had "free" kittens, but they were worth quite a bit more following FIV/FeLuk testing, vaccination, and spaying One notable 8 week old baby was less than a pound at the time.

And then you have to figure in the cost of feeding (which is considerable for me, since I feed all wet), litter (Blue Buffalo walnut stuff, not terribly cheap) and any weird "wow I've never seen THAT before" veterinary issues, which, sadly, I am all too familiar with. Sigh.

To clarify:

I think the cost of spaying/neutering needs to be included in the per pound purchase price.... just like boneless pork chops cost more per pound than bone-in chops.

Can't eat the bones/have the 'nads on a cat. Does that change anyone's price?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

I think my cheapest is a cool $4 per lb after neutering. Once you take off all the hair and trim the extra fat his true per pound cost is a bit more. ;-)

My gourmet cat was about $600 per lb. Now that he is grown it is more like $150 per lb. They are a bit tougher once they age. Lol

Mine have ranged from free plus speuter ($55 for female, $40 for male, LOVE my vet prices) clear up to Coda, my most expensive at around $200 per pound (including spay and Delta).

Coda: http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/DSC07249.jpg

Coda is GORGEOUS! Let's see, current cats: Lucy was free (backyard feral) so only had to pay to spay. She's huge so price was very minimal per pound, don't recall the cost of her spay. Oliver and Bubba cost $500 a piece excluding cost of neuter. Carmella was mine for a $90.00 neuter cost so she's probably the cheapest per pound, she weighs about 6 lbs. New boy Booker T was a $100.00 donation, already neutered/shots/etc. I don't do math and my calculator is currently broken.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

2 free (already neutered etc) one from the SPCA like 15 years ago so have no idea what her adoption fee was. We spayed her too, so however much that cost (I was 10 at the time and not paying the bills!). Now, you ask how much we've spent on cat food/vet fees/frontline/etc over the years....it doesn't bare thinking about.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Hmmm well my big guy who is officially 21.9 lbs per the vet visit Friday...gonna kill my boyfriend for letting him gain weight...grr I got him as an 11 lbs in 2004 for $80, but the "free" vet check turned into $1000 over the next month to diagnose him with asthma/allergies.

My two girls who are both about 8 lbs were free barn cats. Both did get spayed for about $200 each. I got one of them at about 3 lbs and she was 4 lbs till she was spayed at about 1.5 yrs old. The other one was probably about 1.5 lbs as she was a itty bitty baby kitten.

My little gecko hunter was $99 to adopt - came spayed and micro chipped. She was just under 4 lbs so will round up to $25/lb. But she's worth so much more than that!
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

Old Lady was free, but $60 to spay. She's been very cheap over the 11 years I've had her, up until recently when she had a couple teeth pulled ($150). $1.90/lb/yr owned.

Little Man front loaded his expenses. $600 to keep him out of Death's doggy door when I first acquired him. $60 to neuter. $51/lb/yr owned.

I haven't paid for a cat yet. At least not up front.

My current free cat has racked up over $2k in medical bills. Sigh.

Thanks for the spin MVP.

That is right, snuggleupwithgus weights in at a whooping 23 lbs and he was actually $19.00 even, plus he was neutered, up to date on shots, flea control and house trained. I donated the change, (the last dollar) to the shelter.

And to top it all off, he is a Siamese !!

Wow...that was supposed to be an entire new thread. OOPs!