The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Show Shirts - Is everybody going to the new technical shirts?

Hey guys! I am looking for a new blue show shirt and I particularly like the Ariat long sleeve button-up with the choker style shirts. I really cannot find them anywhere except in white. I definitely do not want a white shirt. I cannot keep them clean and I avoid them at all costs. I know they are classic, but I am just incapable of wearing them for more than 10 minutes

Anyway, as I was perusing the catalogs and websites for the show shirts, I am seeing more and more technical shirts. Are these okay to show in for the hunters? I can definitely see them as being okay for the jumpers, but do they pass muster for hunters, even at local shows? Some of them, like the Kerrits shirts, in particular, don't even have a fake collar. They just zip up the front.

I definitely have to have a long-sleeve shirt. I don't do short sleeves or tank tops under my coat... I can't stand the lining getting stuck to my sweaty arms EWWW!

Anyway, please give me some insight into the new style. I'm game to try it, but I don't want to buy anything that I'm going to feel out of place in.... What is the trend??
    Last edited by LoveJubal; Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:17 AM.

I still use old-school ratcatchers and chokers, but I seem to be in the minority...

4 members found this post helpful.

Just got a new wrap collar shirt which I really like but my very favorite is a blue with grey stripes made of pima cotton that is the most comfortable shirt I have ever owned! I would love to find more like it as I am not real keen on the new fabrics!

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I still use old-school ratcatchers and chokers, but I seem to be in the minority...
    Supershorty, I'm with you! I prefer the traditional look. I have purchased coolmax fabric shirts, but not these new technical shirts. While I only do local shows and TB shows (so I'm not showing a lot) I have not seen the technical shirts, zip ups or pullovers even in the jumpers. I'm personally not a fan of them and hope it is only a short lived trend.
    "As you get older, the hardest thing about riding is the ground"- anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by LoveJubal View Post
    Anyway, as I was perusing the catalogs and websites for the show shirts, I am seeing more and more technical shirts. Are these okay to show in for the hunters? I can definitely see them as being okay for the jumpers, but do they pass muster for hunters, even at local shows? Some of them, like the Kerrits shirts, in particular, don't even have a fake collar. They just zip up the front.

I definitely have to have a long-sleeve shirt. I don't do short sleeves or tank tops under my coat... I can't stand the lining getting stuck to my sweaty arms EWWW!

Anyway, please give me some insight into the new style. I'm game to try it, but I don't want to buy anything that I'm going to feel out of place in.... What is the trend??
    If you are doing hunters, technical fabrics are definitely acceptable, but personally I would stick with either the new wrap collars or traditional collars and stay away from the zippers. I think the new talent yarn shirts from Essex Classics are snaps/buttons but still give the appearance of a shirt with a wrap collar.

I see white all over the place (boring!) and do have a white cotton long sleeve shirt with a wrap collar. However, I also have a tailored sportsman shirt in blue techy fabric. I'm still on the fence about them. Sometimes I feel like I stay cooler in cotton shirts and I feel like the techy fabric can get smelly after a summer of showing...or maybe that's me....oh the horrors!

Anyway...buy what you feel good in. No one will really know what the fabric is made of!

Me too! I show in the "A's" and I still wear my "old" shirts that are colors or patterns with the traditional monogramed collar. Love my Essex Classics.

1 members found this post helpful.

I prefer the traditional looking shirt and collar but with Coolmax fabric. Techy fabric in a way, but they look traditional. Same with the snap collar shirts. I only have one, and it is pale yellow, but it is also Coolmax.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

still sporting my cotton ratcatchers, in prints/solids. White shirt at a horse show? That is not a good choice for a person with my ... skills.

If you have a consignment shop near you, that would probably be a great place to get plenty of non-white ratcatchers.

I did cave and buy a blue/white pullover zip short sleeve technical shirt this year though. However it is exclusively for when jackets are waived. Basically I bought a fancy polo with a permanently popped collar, and that is exactly how I intend to use it!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I don't do white shirts. The last one I had was about $100 and is ruined after two uses. I don't even know what could have caused these stains - maybe it's from the stain remover I left on too long in an effort to remove the dirt? I'll wait for a baby blue technical shirt. I do wish the zippers were more in vogue.

Oh, I had a wardrobe malfunction... My shirt WAS really nice and stretchy. The buttons popped from above my chest almost to my waist!!!!!! That was fun - not!!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I've moved almost completely to the technical shirts. I have lots of pretty colored cotton traditional ratcatchers, and I haven't touched them in the last year or so. The technical shirts are just so much more comfortable, hot or cold weather. I wish they'd make some more colors, but for now it means I'm almost always in a white shirt since that's all I own ("technically" speaking )

You might want to check this blog out, right on target w/r/t your subject:

http://horsecountrychic.blogspot.com...to-riding.html

Quote Originally Posted by anmoro View Post
    Supershorty, I'm with you! I prefer the traditional look. I have purchased coolmax fabric shirts, but not these new technical shirts. While I only do local shows and TB shows (so I'm not showing a lot) I have not seen the technical shirts, zip ups or pullovers even in the jumpers. I'm personally not a fan of them and hope it is only a short lived trend.
    Ditto. Except I'm such a dionsaur I still rock my pin that my trainer gave to me when I was 8, almost 33 years ago. Too sentimental to not wear for me. Part of my ritual. =) Guess what- when he did DD in Lead Line at Devon, she rocked the pin he gave to me when I was little. It was too special not to be done.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

1 members found this post helpful.

I am not that into the technical fabrics EXCEPT those that LOOK traditional when on. So I like the wrap collar/technical shirts that still look like cotton/cotton blend under a jacket. I am not a fan of the crazy tight knit looking hunt coats, but I am fully down with a stretchy shirt that you can't tell is stretchy once the coat is on. Romfh makes my favorites.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I just got the Ariat Triumph long sleeve show shirt (in blue) and I LOVE it! The snap closure collar still looks classy enough for the hunter ring, and the cool max fabric is only on the back, sides and arms of the shirt, so it still looks normal under a jacket. Super happy with it.

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

Not a fan of the ultra stretchy Coats and shirts and snap collars , They fit a small group correctly . the collars are either to loose or to tight , the jackets fit in the chest or the hips but not both for many ,and in general are to short when coupled with the too low, low rise. I do like the fabrics but don't see why they cannot be made in a traditional cut. When ever I see Low rise breeches with a shadbelly I cringe