The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Shipper: NationWide, Hubbard, or? 'Nother Question, p. 2

Please vote for your favorite shipper. Below are the criteria. You can muckrake about the worst ones, too.

CT to OR, so perhaps no need to go way south.

Anyone faster than 7 days?

Do you prefer two 36 hour lay-overs to one longer, 2-3 dayer?

Horse is very easy, but needs creaky and needs a little bit of grain+NSAID once per 24 hours. (And does he need some ulcer stuff?). Any shippers better or worse at this?

Quotes now are 2,200 to 2,500 for 1.5 stalls. I want the horse to go on an air-ride trailer.

Bob Hubbard did a nice job for me years ago, but is a tad more expensive and the trip is more circuitous. NationWide is shorter, a tad cheaper but they sound less certain about the horse getting his baggy of grain. Many COTHers have recommended them.

So whaddya think?
    Last edited by mvp; May. 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I used Nationwide many years ago and had no issues and was happy but the word on the street is they've since been sold and several people seem to have had negative experiences since, so I would approach them with caution.

If they'll do the route, I'd consider Equine Express (I have had a recent positive experience with them) or Brookledge (who seems to have a whole lot of fans.) I would also ship with Bob Hubbard, based on what I've heard, and nearly used them, but the horse didn't pass the vet.

I agree with you that air ride is required for that distance.

If you reconsider the necessity for air ride, PM me for the name of a gal based in Oregon that I have used to ship from CA to MI. I was extremely pleased with her and will use her for certain if I need to make the return trip.
    The bonus of using a private hauler is the trip will be much shorter. She got mine 2300 miles in 2.5 days, and they got off the trailer rarin' to go without a spot of dried sweat, a nick, or any hint of a rub from leaning on the trailer. And 2 of them are not particularly easy horses when stressed. She called me 2-3 times a day with updates.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Thanks for your votes so far.

Simkie, I may have mixed up Nationwide and Equine Express. I will check out Equine Express.

And CrowneDragon, I'll PM you.

This is a horse who would appreciate someone getting him candy when they stopped at a gas station, so I'd be psyched for a smaller, hands-on kind of shipper so long as they have the air ride equipment and good lay-over places.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I just booked a l.d. trip for one of my horses with Equine Express. They came highly recommended by several knowledgable horsemen. They've been a pleasure to deal with so far. The horse leaves here Friday, so I'll have my assesment by Sunday or so.

Equine Express has their hub in TX, so Traveler Horse would need make a big detour on his CT-OR trip. Sigh. I will still check them out.

Sid, I hope your horse has a good trip. Will you let us know?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I and some of my barnmates have used equine express numerous times, and always had a good experience with them. They are great to deal with. The drivers are actually "horse" people who treat the horses very well and as individuals. On one trip they were shipping a mare that was blind in one eye, and were so considerate of her when they were offloading my mare.

I'd continue with ulcer meds, and maybe electrolyte paste.

Hands down McLemore's Horse Transport. I've used them 3 times now and I love them. They are horse people and have a wonderful rig and take phenomenal care of the horses. I used someone else once and they were no where near as good as McLemore's. They are also great at communicating and letting you know how your horse is doing, they don't show up at weird times either.

Not Bob Hubbard, no matter what! Very bad experience with them.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

1 members found this post helpful.

My filly was 2 1/2 when I had her shipped from Florida to Tucson, and she got off the trailer as if she had just come out of her stall. Ready to run in the pasture with her friends, but not stressed or upset or tired like I hear horses can be off some trailers.

Beware because there is a shipper with a name similar to Equine Express who is apparently terrible and has people confusing them.

Bob Hubbard passed away earlier this month, and I'm not sure if the business is still going or if it will be the same. Definitely a loss, as he was known for great care of horses in almost all cases. (Sorry to read someone had a bad experience - first time I've heard anyone have anything but rave reviews.)
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I can also tell you to avoid Triple AC Ranch Horse Transport, I think they are out of Arizona.

I use to use Bob Hubbard a lot after Nationwide let us down but that was a couple of years ago so I'm sure both have changed.

Bob Hubbard has been to our farm twice in the last two weeks bringing retirees from the west coast. They have been here with horses from California, Washington state, and British Columbia many times over the years as has Equine Express. We've never had a horse delivered to us in anything but excellent shape from very long trips with both Hubbard and Equine Express.

Just used Cross Country shippers out of Texas. Horse was delivered 2 days ago in great shape. The drivers were great too!

I shipped my horse last April from SC to CO with Nationwide. I paid $2,000 for a box stall and he arrived in 3 days with no layovers. He was well hydrated and relaxed when he walked off the trailer. The drivers were good about updating me and they arrived on time. I had a good experience with them.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

We used Hubbard quite a bit for both inter and intrastate shipping. Our horses always were very well taken care of. Never had a bad experience with them. I hadn't heard Bob had passed. Condolences to his family.

east/west I've used Cox Equine and north/south used DJ Johnson. I've been extremely pleased with both. Horses arrived healthy and happy. Cox is also headquartered in Texas and my mare spent the night there after she was picked up in Arizona enroute to Maryland. I think Johnson's hub is in Pa.

Brookledge, but have only shipped as far as CO from East coast. Horse arrived in wonderful condition. They do layover in KY.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    My filly was 2 1/2 when I had her shipped from Florida to Tucson, and she got off the trailer as if she had just come out of her stall. Ready to run in the pasture with her friends, but not stressed or upset or tired like I hear horses can be off some trailers.

Beware because there is a shipper with a name similar to Equine Express who is apparently terrible and has people confusing them.

Bob Hubbard passed away earlier this month, and I'm not sure if the business is still going or if it will be the same. Definitely a loss, as he was known for great care of horses in almost all cases. (Sorry to read someone had a bad experience - first time I've heard anyone have anything but rave reviews.)
    Sorry to hear Bob's gone. I've had nothing but the best of luck with them over the years; including one very elderly horse going CT to NM, and one very young one coming AR to CT; both arrived in such good condition you would never know they'd been on a long-distance van. Hope the business continues, to their high standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Sorry to hear Bob's gone. I've had nothing but the best of luck with them over the years; including one very elderly horse going CT to NM, and one very young one coming AR to CT; both arrived in such good condition you would never know they'd been on a long-distance van. Hope the business continues, to their high standards.
    Sounds like they're still going, and the family has committed to keeping it going to the same standards - and one poster above mentioned two trips by the company in the last two weeks (he passed April 11, I believe) so I am guessing they are so far maintaining it well. I imagine keeping a business running in the name of the one who built it so close to his loss would be an emotional challenge, but I wish them luck in keeping it going well.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by didgery View Post
    Not Bob Hubbard, no matter what! Very bad experience with them.
    Wha'happened? PM me if you want. Or is your review the one that comes up on a google search?

Just trying to figure out if my horse will get into trouble with Hubbard or not. I think of him as Been There, Done That and Easy, so I have confidence. But then again, what momma doesn't think that her son is the perfect citizen?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat