The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My cat LOVES avocado

At first I thought she just liked to lick the bowl of guacamole after I was done with it. I add Cilantro, Salt, and Lime and nothing else. But I gave her a slice yesterday and she cleaned it up. Now she runs into the kitchen and dances around my legs when I cut Avocado up.

Please tell me she's not a wierdo.

You might want to be careful because I have heard that avocado (and especially the seed or center) is toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey09 View Post
    You might want to be careful because I have heard that avocado (and especially the seed or center) is toxic.
    There is SO LITTLE actual evidence of this. There IS evidence that avocado LEAVES contain toxic compounds that are harmful in large doses.

I posted a lot of info here a long time ago: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...34#post5311834

As long as your cat isn't chowing down on avocado leaves, I think she is fine, and given the high fat content, I don't even think it's all that weird

My cat enjoys peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. You're not alone in the weird cat department.

My cat liked tomato paste and would lick up asparagus soup.

My cat likes fruit. Apples, peaches, pears, and bananas are her favorites. I discovered her love of fruit the day I came home from work and found a half-eaten nectarine on my bed.

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh yeah, according to the people who make Avoderm pet food, avocados are supposed to be GREAT for cats - and dogs. Minus the pits and leaves, of course.

Have you seen the seed in an avocado? It's enormous. You could play soccer with it, I'd be very surprised if my cat ate it.

My Daisy cat, who we call vulture cat, will eat lettuce with salad dressing, cooked broccoli, cooked cauliflower, cheese curls, doritoes, cooked carrots, meat, cheese, asparagus. She eats more vegatables than my husband. I could see her eating avocado.
    Some of them are just weird.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

My cat LOVES salsa and hot sauce. The hotter, the better! Now THAT is weird!

You're not alone!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

my one cat loooooves bbq sauce. She turns up her nose at 99% of cat foods and treats and will randomly stop liking something she has eaten for months but she will meow at you if you have anything with bbq sauce on it. Cats are weird there is no way around it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Have you seen the seed in an avocado? It's enormous. You could play soccer with it, I'd be very surprised if my cat ate it.
    I wouldn't think a cat could eat one, just thought it was worth mentioning.

The late, great Tobias loved squash. And bananas. And string beans. And raspberries. Oh, and he adored mango. I once caught him jumping off the kitchen counter with a pear in his mouth. My brother called him a "super-sized, wingless fruit bat"; we could leave steak or chicken out while eating dinner, no problem, but fruit salad could not go unattended for any amount of time!

Dylan loves potatoes, especially fries or tater tots. He's been known to creep up and steal them from my plate.

2 members found this post helpful.

PC loves potato chips and french fries (but only McDonald's fries...so far he has rejected BK and Wendy's.) He also has to come and take a look at whatever I'm eating, not matter what it is.

He also, once in a while, CAN haz cheezburger. (Or rather a little piece off mine.) He's the only real begger, though Jet will eat deli ham or turkey. Has to be DELI meat, not off the bone, or he'll walk away.

My kitty is adventurous... he'll try anything once (or twice....).

Let's see... Thomas likes graham crackers, peanut butter, cheese (any kind of cheese, even pepper jack), but no milk or ice cream.

Sammy likes corn on the cob, peas and tortilla chips. Oh yes, and venison, beef, chicken, etc. Not too picky as far as meat goes.

Sunny likes anything and everything. Worst begger I've ever seen in my life.

Snickers - milk, and occasionally meat.

Jellybean - ice cream. Especially black cherry or raspberry.

Sometimes I wonder if they realize they are cats.