The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default really good rider wanted (Another CL Ad)

I've never bothered to post a CL ad but I had to share this. Read between the lines on this one:

http://boise.craigslist.org/grd/3773784326.html

And in case it gets deleted/flagged:

really good rider wanted - $1 (meridian)
    I just aquired a nice Quarter horse mare. She hasnt been ridden in over a year and I havn't ridden in a few years due to a back injury. I need someone who loves to ride and is experienced to come ride her and help us get back into riding again. (WESTERN) She was not very co operative when I tried to ride her. You should be young, and non abusive I don't believe in that. I hope to find someone that wants to ride have riding privilages with her but I am not able to pay anything right now I am unemployed, so if you are experienced, love horses and riding and don't have a horse right now this could be perfect for you. I think she is mostly use to men. I am not a guy.
    Please email me with your experience, a couple references, your name and number and when you would be available.
    Thanks a bunch
    How many things can you find wrong with this?
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Somebody wants a free trainer?

I dunno though, the way she tosses out that she thinks the horse is used to men...she's not a guy...maybe she's wanting a date?

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    She thinks the horse is used to men...she's not a guy...maybe she's wanting a date?
    My thoughts exactly....
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't know? She wants someone to help her get started with her new horse. It doesn't sound like a very experienced person, but at least she knows she is in over her head.

Maybe someone told her to find an experienced teenager, since they have a reputation for being fearless and bouncing well when they come off?

So she is unemployed and can't afford to pay someone for lessons. That doesn't mean that she can't afford the basic care of the horse. She could be married to someone who thinks paying to learn how to ride is ridiculous. Who knows.

Actually, I know of someone who is very inexpensive, but very good. She is young (not a teenager, but still very young). And right there local. I think I'll go answer that ad and pass on her contact information.
    Sheilah

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm not saying this is a good idea, but I might have answered that ad 25 years ago.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm actually in a situation somewhat like this right now and it's working out wonderfully. I have a horse that really needed a lot of basics work- mostly groundwork with some riding. I just didn't have the experience to feel confident working with a green horse; however, training wasn't in my budget at the time.

I met a girl (older teenager) through a friend who had extensive experience (internships and WS with various trainers) but had no horse. In exchange for gas money and doing something she really loves but didn't have access to, I got wonderful help with my greenie.

3 members found this post helpful.

When I lived in Reno there were college kids posting on CL saying THEY would pay to ride your horse.. Seems like just as bad of an idea, but hey whatever works for both parties.

I probably would have answered this ad as a teenager because I thought I could ride anything and loved the opportunity to ride new horses even if they were crazy.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

She's UNEMPLOYED and she just acquired a horse? Really?

2 members found this post helpful.

I know when I'm unemployed, the first thing I do is get another horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ahh yep - I would have responded to the add once upon a time (ok less then 10 years ago).

THIS is how I kept riding through college, and my first "broke" (no horse $) out of school years. I was hundreds of miles away from "home" - didn't have horse connections, but I could ride just about anything, and get it to a place where the owner could ride it.

Sure - free training - but it is also free riding. And I ENJOY training, the whole process of it. I would rather work with and ride a greenie, or one that needed retrained, over a "made" horse.

However - the unemployed - have no $$ but do have a new horse thing is not cool.
    Last edited by Appsolute; Apr. 30, 2013 at 04:06 PM.

I did this in my teens and early 20's just to ride any and everything I could. It really paid off in spades for me. Even though I went on to buy and sell horses, thus getting to ride more types but on my dime, the swinging a leg over any type of horse taught me more than I could ever hope and to adapt my riding to the horse. I guess you could call the ad bartering a service. Depends on how you look at it most likely.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

I would jump at the chance to ride any horse I can right about now. I can't afford a horse at this time. Training it or just excersize riding I'm game. I don't need the funds, I just want to ride more often!

I jumped at the opportunities to ride horses like this back in the day.

Which is why I am now in a position to say, "That will be $25 per ride, new customers always pay in advance, I don't have the time to drive too far, my evening and morning slots on the weekends are taken, and if you turn out to be a PITA I will fill the slot with someone else who isn't."