The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for lesson barn in Baltimore Area

I am an adult and haven't ridden in close to 12 years. I am looking for a good hunter/jumper barn in the Baltimore area that gives lessons. I'm going to need to start with the basics but anticipate picking everything back up quickly. Any suggestions for where to go (or not go) would be much appreciated!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Whereabouts in the Baltimore area are you, and (importantly) how far do you want to drive? If you're towards Catonsville you're looking at a whole different ballpark than if you're towards Towson.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Might try Caves Farm- cavesfarm.com its in Owings Mill about 30 minutes or so from Baltimore.

1 members found this post helpful.

Echoing what Renn said. If you're in the southwest area of Baltimore you may be happier driving into Howard County to ride than trying to make it up 695 into actual Baltimore County for lessons, especially if you plan on doing it more than once a week!

Quote Originally Posted by Nylar View Post
    Echoing what Renn said. If you're in the southwest area of Baltimore you may be happier driving into Howard County to ride than trying to make it up 695 into actual Baltimore County for lessons, especially if you plan on doing it more than once a week!
    Especially if you're traveling after work...

So I'm going to ask that question two ways- how far do you want to drive in mileage, and how long do you want to spend in the car?
    - Harry Dresden

Sorry, for the delay in reply, I am still trying to figure this forum out.

I live in Dundalk however, I work in Howard County so I am looking for somewhere in either Howard or Ann Arundel so I can ride after work and on weekends. It would be preferable to drive about 40 mins or less.

If you are looking in in Howard County I would suggest Marriottsville Ride Farm. Personally haven't ridden there but I know of the farm and they seem pretty darn nice. And again Caves Farm is only 30 min from HoCo depending on how far you want to travel.
    "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
    - quoted by Martha Drum

I'm not as familiar with the Howard County area, but I would definitely second the recommendation for Marriottsville Ridge (where I'd ride myself, if I weren't on the opposite side of the county. See above re. 695.)

Granted it depends on where in Dundalk you are, but I think Caves is going to be out of your comfortable travel range. From Dundalk to Caves you're probably looking at 40 minutes if no traffic, but an hour or more in traffic. If you're coming from work, it's a solid half hour or more from the West Friendship ballpark area (made that drive many a time on my way to the lameness vet in WV, and in traffic it is NOT fun.) Caves is also more focused on showing, and while the quality of instruction is good, they don't have as many school horses as a farm with more of a community lesson focus.
    - Harry Dresden

Marriottsville has a waiting list for lessons, so not an option if the OP wants to start right away. (Renn, one day we will steal you despite the horrific commute!)

Jessie, if you want to PM me exactly what you're looking for in a barn (do you want just lessons, ability to show later on, leasing, etc.), I can try and help narrow down your options in Howard County.